• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

He seems a bit less harsh this time round. The only significant bit of swearing was in the "Full Metal Jacket" style bit of squad motivation held outside - and I'm sorry, that maitre'd wouldn't scare my granny like that.

Gordon Wallace

didn't see it last night but a friend went to Momma Cherris Soul Food Shack in Brighton, which is on in a couple of weeks, the other night and said the staff were all raving about him and the momma herself has named a dish after him.

Last night's was a re-run of the very first episode really, only with a different result. Dirty kitchen, chef who seemed spineless (why was he trying to sell his BM on ebay rather than, say, the local paper or auto-trader btw?).

Problem with that one is you get the feeling a lot went on behind the scenes. The guy needed some basic training in a) duhhr, cooking and b) business management. If he really was clearing his debts by the end, it suggests that at least the latter had been delivered off-screen.

I always love how the restaurants fill up suddenly when the rumour hits that Ramsay is around--but what actually would you think if GR and a camera crew walked in somewhere? Probably, 'I knew the food was bad, but...'

The number plate was a Godsend though...

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Can any shed any light on the wet fish that was last night's chef?

Phillipe Blais, ex Belgo? If I remember rightly that is also the name of the founder of Belgo in Camden (think the other is Andre Blais founder of Bodeans).

Surely though things cannot have got o bad for him as to work in D Place!!! Is it the same man or am I getting confused???

Can anybody explain why Ramsay's recommendation wasn't to fire the chef? It seemed bizarre to me that the Manager was fired in a fit of temper yet the chef was consisitently crap. He couldn't even turn out frozen rubbish, the like of which is served in pubs everyday of the week by part-time Mothers who have to pick their kids up from school at 15:30.

Great scene with the fried "roast potatoes". Ramsay at his best.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

And I'm assuming that a 'Ramsay on Management' book is due out from the games he was playing.

Last night was much better than the first episode, though with a rather sad ending.

Thought the chef simply hated being on camera as well, he obviously had a twitch, and it seemed to make him even more nervous. One of the sous chefs seemed a really bright spark though--in the previous series Ramsay would have got him promoted.

"Are you starting to go a little bit feckin bonjour?" Straight from Ian Rankin...

It no longer exists, but it was lovely.

Well as a certified Ramsayophile, I obviously enjoyed the show quite a bit, although I found Chef Blais to be one of the most annoying people to listen to. To say he lacked a passion for cooking was one thing, it sounded more like he had lost interest in everything.

I was dragged to the star wars film the other night - I was bloody bored for most if it - but in one scene during a fight the emperor's face changes & puffs up. couldn't help thinking he looked a bit like ramsay afterwards

Chef Blais was chef at Belgos (not sure which branch) and also at the Admiralty for a very short time. I have it on very good authority from a relative who worked with him that he was sh*t then as well!

Gav

"A man tired of London..should move to Essex!"

I notice that that woman from Bonapartes (Series 1) is bleating in the press today about how she is now in £500k worth of debt, about to become homeless and unable to sell the restaurant because of Ramsay. The article talks about how shortly after the programme she closed the restaurant and concentrated on the bar :wacko: Lets get this right, she calls in Ramsay because her restaurant is failing, restaurant continues to fail and now it is Ramsays fault. How's that work then?

Apparently she might sleep rough outside Claridges in an effort to embarass him.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I enjoyed the show about the soul food place in Brighton last night and may now have to revise my opinion of Ramsay as the unacceptable face (sic) of finickity food. I mean, he was great in Sin City, too, although I don't know why he appeared as 'Mickey Rourke'. :biggrin:

FYI: Gordon swore 23 times in last night's Nightmare.

I enjoyed the show about the soul food place in Brighton last night and may now have to revise my opinion of Ramsay as the unacceptable face (sic) of finickity food. I mean, he was great in Sin City, too, although I don't know why he appeared as 'Mickey Rourke'. :biggrin:

FYI: Gordon swore 23 times in last night's Nightmare.

Soul Food was the first episode that I actually *wanted* them to succeed, simply because they came across as being friendly, genuine people. Buisness savvy? maybe, maybe not. But hard working certainly.

I have always been a fan but after the Soul Food episode Ramsay is THE man, he got into the vibe so well, making food that even Mama thought was sooooo gooood (well she was American!). The Soul in a Bowl concept was just so inspired from a man that you would think wouldn't have a clue about it. Respeck!