• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

Did anyone else feel like he was talking-down to the lady (who left before Chef Ramsey came back), whom the chef had actually made blush by telling she should learn to be a pro? I feel Richard was resentful, determined to show he was right, and just as determined to not acceed to anything proposed by Chef Ramsey. I would really like to know if it's still open, or doing as well.

Here's their Website. The Pomegranate Risotto is off the menu! It appears Richard was a bit bull-headed and it was a relief to let Claire, Ian and the rest tighten things up in his absence. I wonder if it was true about Claire's bookstore having problems as an excuse for her absence?

Edited by johnnyd (log)

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

One note about the Glasshouse episode. If Gordon Ramsay prepared a perfect Caesar Salad for me, I would cherish it and heed to his expertise and advice. If he said it was a proper salad, then I'd say, "Yes, Chef". The guy is Gordon Ramsey. Of course he knows how to make a proper salad. Would you tell Thomas Keller the lettuce leaves in his Bouchon Bibb Lettuce Salad are too big? No way!

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

Found out on the other thread that Claire and Iian were invited to Angela Hartnett's brigade at the Connaught hotel

I also see that all four shows have been commented upon at length 2 months ago when it aired on FN. :hmmm: Sigh.... always the last to know! :raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

I had known about the other thread, but I purposely didn't read it because it seemed like reading the end of a good mystery first; ruins the whole thing :shock: I knew that the girlfriend would end up somewhere to cook, just watching the show. Good for them.Glad they both made it to someplace else.

Found out on the other thread that Claire and Iian were invited to Angela Hartnett's brigade at the Connaught hotel

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, and I can't find the links anywhere now (so maybe I dreamt it), but I'm pretty sure that I read on Caterer-Onlne that Claire and Iain both quit the Connaught a few weeks after starting. A shame...

It looks like the Walnut Tree Inn may survive after all. They had more going for them than any other restaurant I've seen on that show, what with the restauran'ts rich history and all. Gordon's boost was probably all that they needed to get back into full swing.

The chef interviews were both funny and pathetic. I'm guessing the new chef they ended up hiring gets their Michelin Star back.

R. Jason Coulston

jason@popcling.com

F*cking Bullocks...

F*cking Bullocks!!!

Lost the round to Mrs. Johnnyd so we had to watch American F*cking Idol!!! :angry:

Curses! The Walnut Inn isn't scheduled again this season!!! Grrrrrrr !!! :sad:

mmeggghhhrrrummhh !!!!!! Oh well, *sigh* it will come around again I hope!

Portland Food Map.com

F*cking Bullocks...

F*cking Bullocks!!!

Lost the round to Mrs. Johnnyd so we had to watch American F*cking Idol!!! :angry:

Curses! The Walnut Inn isn't scheduled again this season!!!  Grrrrrrr !!!  :sad:

Would it make you feel any better if I told you it was a cracking episode? We laughed at the hapless head chef applicants. We cried for the sweet, shy Italian sous chef who got squeezed out. We cheered for the harried owner who might not lose his restaurant, house and dream all in one go after all. I'm all emotionally cleansed inside!

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

From the Slate article:
I could live without some of the series' set pieces, like each episode's shot of Ramsay peeling off his shirt and putting on his short-sleeved chef's jacket as he muses on the restaurant's shortcomings.

I've been meaning to bring this up. What's the point of this bit? To show the "sexy" side of Ramsay? Because there really isn't anything sadder that seeing the bare chest of middle aged guy going all soft.

Congratulations, you may well be the first person ever with the balls to say this. There is no point, but he isn't the first person to suffer from "Emperor's Clothes" synchrome. (Almost literally, in this case).

Just watched the Walnut Tree episode. What puzzles me is how the current owner got the means to buy this place. He seems clueless in restaurant management, and it would seem amazing if he makes the place a success again. He was also so unreceptive to Gordon's good advice, a very stubborn man!

Another thought-- why have so many Italians emigrated to this part of Wales, where the culture is so different from Italy and the weather so uninviting?

Another thought-- why have so many Italians emigrated to this part of Wales, where the culture is so different from Italy and the weather so uninviting?

They came to open cafes!

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/2000localin...jectid=11280575

The weather might be uninviting in Wales (althouth south Wales in the summer can be nice) but it is a beautiful country

My grandparents immigrated to Wales from Italy.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

My grandparents immigrated to Wales from Italy.

I'm curious as to a better explanation of the reasons for this. I can see that, in the 1930s, the poor folks of Northern Italy, as the link above says, left for better opportunities. But today, Northern Italy is hardly "poor" and it doesn't seem that the economy in Wales is any better than in Italy--

Why would these Italian folk give up the culture they love (including outdoor Cafés) and much, much better weather for Wales?

F*cking Bullocks...

F*cking Bullocks!!!

Curses! The Walnut Inn isn't scheduled again this season!!!  Grrrrrrr !!!  :sad:

That's why I have 5 TVs and a DVR :raz:

What a good show.

Gordon Ramsey provides us with analysis of

what is wrong with the kitchen and establishment,

while tasting the food, observing the staff, crititically

looking at chef skills and lack thereof. He teaches and

trains and cooks and follows up on his makeovers. All

with a sense of humor and brash reality presentation.

Can you imagine Gorden teaming with Tony B.?

What a fuckin show that would be.

I finally saw the Bonaparte's episode tonight. I've never seen a chef with less aptitude. He can't broil, sautee, or blend. He doesn't taste the food he cooks. His fridge is like some caricature of a freshman's dorm mini-fridge: empty, save for a few moldy mystery meats. I find it amazing that he was able to secure a position down the street at a real restaurant. I question whether he's capable of washing dishes at a real restaurant!

Good entertainment, though. The scallop scene was priceless. And the lamb/pork trickery.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I finally saw the Bonaparte's episode tonight.  I've never seen a chef with less aptitude.  He can't broil, sautee, or blend.  He doesn't taste the food he cooks.  His fridge is like some caricature of a freshman's dorm mini-fridge:  empty, save for a few moldy mystery meats.  I find it amazing that he was able to secure a position down the street at a real restaurant.  I question whether he's capable of washing dishes at a real restaurant!

Good entertainment, though.  The scallop scene was priceless.  And the lamb/pork trickery.

So when O' when shall this show be reproduced stateside? Tony? Hell Yes!

As long as it isn't like the crap rip-off of BBC's Coupling that NBC attempted.

"Instead of orange juice, I'm going to use the juice from the inside of the orange."- The Brilliant Sandra Lee

http://www.matthewnehrlingmba.com

I finally saw the Bonaparte's episode tonight.  I've never seen a chef with less aptitude.  He can't broil, sautee, or blend.  He doesn't taste the food he cooks.  His fridge is like some caricature of a freshman's dorm mini-fridge:  empty, save for a few moldy mystery meats.  I find it amazing that he was able to secure a position down the street at a real restaurant.  I question whether he's capable of washing dishes at a real restaurant!

Good entertainment, though.  The scallop scene was priceless.  And the lamb/pork trickery.

Yes Yes Yes! I finally saw it too, yaay! Indeed a nightmare! I could just see the money getting flushed down the bog! Poor lady-owner got snowed by that twat! I hope he's getting his ass kicked as a "junior" chef down the street. Imagine serving that trash to his family on TV? How embarrassing! You got to think he's going to be a better chef after getting dragged through the manure like he did on this show. Bravo Gordo!!!

Portland Food Map.com

Saw the Walnut Inn show. The food was infinitely better here than the other episodes. I agree w/previous posts that it has a better chance of surviving than the others. A brilliant move to invite the previous owners for the 40th Bday affair, and possibly stave off ruin.

Gordon really took it to heart that these two were about to go down the toilet and made that kitchen feel that their heads will be on a stake in the town square if they don't get it together. The long wait for the family dinner had me in fits.

More.More.More!

Portland Food Map.com

Reading this thread is making me wish for re-runs already! Well..almost.

They are trying to get Tana Ramsay, Gordon Ramsay's wife and a 'trained nursery nurse' to appear in her own Ramsay's Toddler Nightmares' for UK's morning breakfast show. They should have had Papa Ramsay on that job instead. Toddlers will listen to him with reverence and fear tinged respect, no?

• 3 months later...

Is there not a thread for this anywhere? New series last night. Was good to see somebody listen to Ramsay and turn things around (I wish somebody would follow Sarah Beanies advice in property ladder) although I struggle to see how he cleared 20k of debt in two months, I doubt that he was making that much profit. I was surprised that GR didn't advise them to serve some of the dishes on different crockery e.g. bowls for some of the pasta rather than a flat plate.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

I was surprised that GR didn't advise them to serve some of the dishes on different crockery e.g. bowls for some of the pasta rather than a flat plate.

Yeah - they always cut the exciting bits.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP