• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

A sad program last night -- Ramsay at The Walnut Tree. My respect for Ramsay went up another notch; his hand at the tiller was firm, fair and intelligent. I don't know whether The Walnut Tree is returning to anything like its former glory; I hope so. I have fond memories of a place where you could eat supurb food in the public bar with locals drinking beer at adjoining tables.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Just had a long, boozy lunch with a large group of Melbourne food gurus at Fenix. We watched the Ramsay (affectionately known here by old cronies as "celeriac-head") Bonaparte's episode of Kitchen Nightmares. ALL present--largely chefs--agreed they would have slaughtered the chef outright. This slack-jawed mouth breather, pronouncing himself a practitioner of "fine-dining" was too dumb to even CRY after a good bollocking--then come back strong and determined. Here this dipshit gets personal--and frankly--patient, personal attention and support from GR-and when the Celeriac Head pops back in a month later for a surprise inspection? Shit-for-brains is right back running his overextended boss into bankruptcy, thoughtlessly slopping out sheep shit like the whole amazing episode never happened. GR is to be commended. He TRIED. He really tried. He spends real time in the squalid, soul-destroying, cramped, filthy kitchen with this goof. He doesnt kill him and move up his somewhat brighter second in command (which any chef would have). His business acumen, his shrewdness, his KINDNESS to dipshit's family, his comic timing--and most importantly--his realistic sense of the market (meaning no problem making steak and chips and steak and ale pie) is fucking riveting. I was really surprised at how GOOD this show is. How real a picture it paints of the real BUSINESS of making a living in the resto biz in the real world. FN US should be fucking humbled and ashamed to not have product this good. It's fucking awesome. Just wonderful. Instructive, funny, accurate, real, human. Not to be missed. If US viewers can get bootleg copies? Do so. NOW! Watching GR as dipshit admits he's NEVER MADE A FUCKING OMELETTE BEFORE is a Golden moment of restraint. I would have killed the fuck, then gone to the funeral and killed the mourners. Brilliant!

Edited by bourdain (log)

abourdain

Just had a long, boozy lunch with a large group of Melbourne food gurus at Fenix. We watched the Ramsay (affectionately known here by old cronies as "celeriac-head") Bonaparte's episode of Kitchen Nightmares. ALL present--largely chefs--agreed they would have slaughtered the chef outright. This slack-jawed mouth breather, pronouncing himself a practitioner of "fine-dining" was too dumb to even CRY after a good bollocking--then come back strong and determined. Here this dipshit gets personal--and frankly--patient, personal attention and support from GR-and when the Celeriac Head pops back in a month later for a surprise inspection? Shit-for-brains is right back running his overextended boss into bankruptcy, thoughtlessly slopping out sheep shit like the whole amazing episode never happened. GR is to be commended. He TRIED. He really tried. He spends real time in the squalid, soul-destroying, cramped, filthy kitchen with this goof. He doesnt kill him and move up his somewhat brighter second in command (which any chef would have). His business acumen, his shrewdness, his KINDNESS to dipshit's family, his comic timing--and most importantly--his realistic sense of the market (meaning no problem making steak and chips and steak and ale pie) is fucking riveting. I was really surprised at how GOOD this show is. How real a picture it paints of the real BUSINESS of making a living in the resto biz in the real world. FN US should be fucking humbled and ashamed to not have product this good. It's fucking awesome. Just wonderful. Instructive, funny, accurate, real, human. Not to be missed. If US viewers can get bootleg copies? Do so. NOW! Watching GR as dipshit admits he's NEVER MADE A FUCKING OMELETTE BEFORE is a Golden moment of restraint. I would have killed the fuck, then gone to the funeral and killed the mourners. Brilliant!

Harsh but fair Tony, Harsh but fair.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

OK, how about an American version of this show with Bourdain in Ramsay's place? I can't imagine Bourdain would be as mean. I don't see it in his eyes.

Knowing American TV, though, they would probably toss Paris Hilton in the equation to up the ratings. :hmmm:

I guess she could sleep with the miserable chefs to cheer them up. She doesn't seem too picky.

I thought it had been exposed in the Standard that (at least the first episode of) the show was set up.

The scallop was not off; the vegetables which were rotting were outside the back door waiting to be thrown out - Ramsay brought them in; the chef had already been sacked/ left but was brought back in for the show; the town wasn't actually filled with Last of the Summer Wine types (surprise); Ramsay didn't wait for a month to come back: it was within a couple of days etc. etc.

I don't dispute that the first chef was rubbish, but in the second show the argument that was staged with the owner was pathetic. I find Ramsay irritating (something to do with the stupid lines on his chin and the way he always insists he is having such a good sex life with his missus: sample quote re: their relationship: 'it's passionate, it's intense, it's oral sex...') but it's the way they put the programme together, with Ms Llewellyn so blatantly urging on from behind the cameras, which really pisses me off.

As for an American version of the show with Bourdain in Ramsay's place, it would only truly be worth watching if it were truly in Ramsay's place: Bourdain's kitchen nightmares at GRHR.

Knowing American TV, though, they would probably toss Paris Hilton in the equation to up the ratings. :hmmm:

I guess she could sleep with the miserable chefs to cheer them up. She doesn't seem too picky.

I would like to believe that most chefs are accustomed to better head.

abourdain

Slightly off topic but does anyone know how I can come by a copy of Boiling Point and Beyond Boiling Point. The Channel 4 website is little help. Having worked at RHR I require validation for my post London habit of self-medicating with Absinth.

Jarad C. Slipp, One third of ???

He was a sweet and tender hooligan and he swore that he'd never, never do it again. And of course he won't (not until the next time.) -Stephen Patrick Morrissey

From Mirror.co.uk - the celebrity chefs taking part in the forthcoming Ramsay's Hell's Kitchen, are "politician Edwina Currie, singers Belinda Carlisle and Matt Goss, Bad Girls actress Amanda Barrie, actor James Dreyfus, investigative journalist Roger Cook, sprinter Dwain Chambers, TV host Abi Titmuss, comic Al Murray and actress-singer Jennifer Ellison". Words fail me.

Anyone see tonight's Kitchen Nightmare about Moore Place in Esher? It seemed to lack the either the sheer car-crash awfulness of the first episode, or the kitchen-interest factor of the following two - I couldn't see the point.

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

Damn I havent been in here in forever.....I have been as busy as a one legged soccer player........

Wow I can't believe Gordon Ramsey is joining the ranks of celebrity chef's. Is he becoming a sell out? No, I doubt it.

It will be interesting though. Will it be anything like "the Resturant" but with a twist? I can see gordons partner trying to come in and take over in a power struggle. The only difference would be Gordon cussing and kicking the crap out of him. I saw some previews tonite on the tube, lots of beeping and threatening going on. It reminds me of my instructors at school.....lots of foul mouthed, degrading language. Aint it cool. I am glad he is doing it. Rock on Gordon.

I think Tony B. should do a guest appearance on Gordons show....Now that would be a sight.

john

JTL

Is a Member of PETA..."People Eating Tasty Animals"

In case any of you were wondering what the theme music to the show is, (and I expect you weren't), I'm fairly sure that its a sort of elevator muzak version of "Congoman" by the Congos from their seminal Heart of the Congos album, which is a bizarre choice if I right. The album also contains "Open the Gates" which is quite beautiful.

if I right

eGullet: fantastic - where the conversation can turn effortlessly from 3 star chefs to THE seminal dub album :cool:

Andy - I like the way you modulated your language to the subject...

Sheffield, where I changed,

And ate an awful pie

I saw some previews tonite on the tube....

Wait, are you in America?

If so, which channel? I really want to see this.

Last night "Entertainment Tonight" did a little feature on the show. They decided to compare him to Simon Cowell from "American Idol."

It's doesn't look like it's running anyplace here in the states. They did mention his next project "Hell's Kitchen" all be it briefly.

if I right

eGullet: fantastic - where the conversation can turn effortlessly from 3 star chefs to THE seminal dub album :cool:

Andy - I like the way you modulated your language to the subject...

I'n'I thank you, but it was a mere slip of the finger. Albeit a strangely appropriate one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This should be a fitting end to the weekend. Hopefully all you Bourdain groupies will have dried out enough to check out Brit chef Gordon Ramsey as he rampages through badly run restaurant kitchens. ... 6:00 and 9:00pm Sunday night on our "beloved" Food Channel. This should easily be the best program on the FC this Fall (outsourced of course).

Thanks for the reminder

Laughed through it and also enjoyed the Opening Soon episode and Into The Fire to boot.

Ramsey reminded me of one of my old soccer coaches, F#$%^en Hell this and F#$%^en Sh*te that.......

How the heck did that unfortunate soul get the head chef [?] position in the first place? Burning the croutons in Mom and Dad's place.....

Actually the first time I saw that dish "scallops and black pudding" was when Bruno Loubet was at L'odeon just off Picadilly Circus, in '97. It was the restaurant's biggest seller!!! But that poor guy on FN couldn't cook himself out of a paper bag to save his life!

I think the owner is trying to sue Gordon right now!

Edited by d.hawksworth (log)