• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

The pen is more powerful than the sword, and the video editor is more powerful than both, combined. He, along with the producer and director, declares what is to be "reality."

Acknowledging that the complaint is but one side of the story, if there is any truth in the statements that Hyde had no responsibility for the day to day operation of the restaurant, and rather was more of a booking agent than anything else, then Kitchen Nightmares did a major and unfair hatchet job on Hyde.

As to the restaurant, assuming there is no central casting department for cockroaches, the kitchen was indeed a disaster area.

If the restaurant is still open, is there a stalwart New York eGulleter willing to risk passing in harm's way to dine at the restaurant and report on the conditions encountered?

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Anyhow, this one was slightly better. I truly wonder if they are reading the forums and adjusting.

While they could make some adjustments through editing, the episodes they're showing now were filmed a while ago.

It's all in the editing. the annoying music, the choice to focus on gordon at work at fixing the restaurant, the interviews and the focus on rotting veg... they could give the raw footage to the British crew and the american crew and have two different shows. It was actually the reappearance of the beefcake shot that made me wonder if they were tweaking.

If so, keep whining everyone! Louder! and on Fox's website!

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

The Martin Hyde deposition.

(pdf)

So.... Gordon won the bare knuckle boxing championship of the U.K. by beating the former Gypsy champion in a 22 round contest in a freight yard (and this was recently)?

Methinks the fact checking of Mr. McDermitt's lawyer needs a bit of scrutiny.

Hilarious to think about though :laugh:

This is quite funny. I guess if something is in on the net then it must be true, including satire - quite pomo.

I watched the first two episodes and I liked it. There's always going to be wanting more of this or that. Now, I've never seen the UK show, nor am I in a position to voice an opinion on Ramsay being harder, softer, etc. What was/is the UK show called?

The subjects seemed real-life to me, which I think is missing from a lot of the reality TV nonsense out there today (rather ironic), and although the "outline" of the two shows could be the same -- a ton of shows are like that.\

Anyway, I liked them and I'll continue to watch.

Eric

What was/is the UK show called?

"Kitchen Nightmares." Same basic premise in the UK and US versions, but the US version is, as has been mentioned previously, more over-the-top (FOXified.)

I found the first two US episodes okay, but the legal papers linked above are more entertaining. One interesting thing: One time in the show, the garish animated sign was totally blurred out - could this have been a mention of the 'cabaret theatre' that was so prominent in the legal papers, but totally absent in the show? I never saw anything resembling a stage in the restaurant interior (didn't even seem to be room for one,) but I wasn't looking for one since that was before reading the court filing.

The Martin Hyde deposition.

(pdf)

Oh for God's sake... a so-called "Lawyer" is quoting "evidence" that was posted on Wikipedia??? Does no one understand what a Wiki is? And the guy is trying to weasel out of a release he signed himself?

Isn't there an ambulance running around this lawyer would like to chase?

This deposition is yet another black eye on the American courts system, and why Americans hold lawyers in the LOWEST esteem and respect. I can just picture the C-student law clerk who wrote that crappe on his behalf.

Edited by BuzzDraft (log)

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

I watched this for the first time last night and what a difference between the US and UK versions! I hated the narration and the time spent re-explaining the previous segment after every commercial break. It's not like I forgot what happened 3 minutes ago (although this seems to be the standard for most reality shows which really annoys me). It seems dumbed down for the US audience. :angry: You can definitely see the Fox influence.

I like the way they start the show by announcing that Gordon Ramsey is the most successful restaurateur in the world. I know he's successful and all, but the best in the world? Oh well. Last night's episode seemed pretty tame compared to what people have posted about the previous ones. I have to say I would have fired the manager. I've worked with that type before. Yuck.

Third episode, improving. However, as stated by Darcie B, forget all the recapping. Good greif Fox, take a good look at the BBC version. If we're watching it's not because of Hell's Kitchen, it's because of the BBC version of Kitchen Nightmares.

This is definitely a TIVO show. That way you can skip all the recapping and really see what Ramsey is trying to do.

I cannot believe they kept that manager! Accccck!

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

They finally returned to the restaurant, two months later -- sans Ramsey.

3 episodes, 3 idiot managers to blame. Some variety would be nice...

Anyone notice that on Ramsey's first night at the restaurant, when they claimed it was dead, that it was packed? You could hear it in the background, and see it when he walked outside to look at the dumb signs.

Didn't really like the third one - it was basically an alternate version of the first.

Am I really to believe that at the last possible moment, the self-absorbed mangers(s) see the error of their ways and change instantly? Please.

At least they didn't have a topless scene in this one.

Teaser for next show (paraphrased): The filthiest kitchen EVER!!!

Sounds like Must-See TV to me. :rolleyes:

Just caught up with this week's episode and it was nice to see the basis of this ep was on classic dysfunction between front and back of house vs horror stories of filth or inedible food.

Having said that, watching a totally wimpy chef/owner sleepwalk through this show to emerge at the end in a schmaltzy "and the spark of their marriage has been rekindled" cliche makes me gag slightly.

The football team showing up for dinner ....and their reservation is lost smells like a big setup as well.

I've often wondered if the hordes that "surprisingly" show up for the relaunch of the new menu/makeover in these shows are paying customers or freebees. (The little walk-arounds handing out menus and cards to repromote may be the reason but I somehow doubt it.)

• 2 weeks later...
I also really dislike the lack of the follow-up visit, like there is in the BBC version.  Turning a restaurant around means nothing if they don't stick to it.  The follow-up visit is what would make me actually want to check out a place if I had access to it, not the initial makeover; it shows whether or not what they learned has "stuck."

Watched the episode of the "Old Stone Mill" last night. Very interesting but woefully inadequate in details.

Turning the restaurant into a steakhouse was a very good idea considering the competition, but how does the owner then pay his bills? One night (the reveal) would not get him out of the financial hole he was apparently in.

I found the idea of him turning the old building into a restaurant single-handedly was a little far-fetched. However it was done it was a magnificent job as far as we could see. It must have cost a bundle!

The kitchen was a little cramped obviously and to get the chef the much needed extra help would have been a physical problem.

I too would love to see a follow-up...with the owners reluctance to change did he really follow through?

Why did the Mayor give him the keys to the city? Was his steak that good? Was he really serving "Kobe Steak" or was that just gilding the lily?

If you look closely, the Mayor gave the owner the keys to the city earlier in the day (note the clothing).

The only reason I watch now is for the continuity errors.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

How could you miss that awful lavender sweater???

I keep an eye out for them, too, and they were glaring this time. The diners for the initial dinner and the relaunch meal were identical (at least from the ones I noticed).

The lady that had the oversalted mushroom risotto? She was back.

The kid with the spiky skateboarder hair? He was back.

I'm sure that there were more...

Was it just me, or did Ramsay look silly riding in on the bike? A little pretense goes a very long way.

Yeah, chuckle factor is about the only reason I tune in to watch. Frankly, I find some of Ramsay's antagonistic behavior a bit embarrassing. As much as I like him and respect his talent, I am beginning to lose some respect for the man. Kitchen Nightmares is becoming a bit of a nightmare to watch. Beh! :raz:

What I'd much rather see is Gordon Ramsay visiting his own restaurant kitchens, watch the chefs and staff during a real service, etc. And actually SEE SOME FOOD BEING PREPARED.

Edited by Jane Die (log)

It looked like offering previous customers a free meal got them back. That and a big ol' Hey Look, Gordon Ramsey Will Be There and Everyone Will Be On TV!

The buffoon owners have gotten old, although this one was in keeping with the rest of the episode. Where did the additional chef(s) come from? Why must every episode end with a Big Event? Why does Gordon keep insisting on saying things like "my designer crew worked all night" to redo the restaurant. Really?

Otoh, it's good to find entertainment where ya may and the Ye Olde Mill sign next to the Steakhouse sign was hilarious, as was the bike, the butcher's reaction to Gordon asking if he could supply a new steakhouse in town (ya think?), the editing (almost as good as the crappy job done at Ye Mixing Bowl) and the owner coming around after hearing about Gordon's Big Failure.

At least it answers the question: What would a food show on BBCA look like on FOX?

I also really dislike the lack of the follow-up visit, like there is in the BBC version.  Turning a restaurant around means nothing if they don't stick to it.  The follow-up visit is what would make me actually want to check out a place if I had access to it, not the initial makeover; it shows whether or not what they learned has "stuck."

Watched the episode of the "Old Stone Mill" last night. Very interesting but woefully inadequate in details.

Turning the restaurant into a steakhouse was a very good idea considering the competition, but how does the owner then pay his bills? One night (the reveal) would not get him out of the financial hole he was apparently in.

I found the idea of him turning the old building into a restaurant single-handedly was a little far-fetched. However it was done it was a magnificent job as far as we could see. It must have cost a bundle!

The kitchen was a little cramped obviously and to get the chef the much needed extra help would have been a physical problem.

I too would love to see a follow-up...with the owners reluctance to change did he really follow through?

Why did the Mayor give him the keys to the city? Was his steak that good? Was he really serving "Kobe Steak" or was that just gilding the lily?

Looks like he stayed with it.."Traditional American Steakhouse Cuisine"

http://theoldestonemill.com/pages/homepage.html

I'll continue to watch the show as time allows, but I am serious when I say....the first time Gordo "accidentally" spills a tub of honey or creme fraiche on himself while doing a shirtless monologue, then runs out into the dining room and asks the ladies "Oh DEAR, can someone help me with this???".....I'm DONE!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Wow, great web site.  It doesn't provide a menu, phone number, or address.  Brilliant!

Before you ridicule some one else's technical shortcomings, and embarrass yourself, try the home page, not the frame link provided above.

Link

All the information is there.

Edited by BuzzDraft (log)

TomH...

BRILLIANT!!!

HOORAY BEER!

At least it answers the question: What would a food show on BBCA look like on FOX?

There are millions of people in North America, a few thousand (at best) may care that Gordon Ramsay is a world class chef and want to see the details of the food and business decisions. The rest would rather see a bunch of drama and somebody getting their arse chewed into submission. A calm, quiet "we can work this out in a fluffy, gentle manner" Gordon Ramsay with 2/3 of the show dedicated to the food would last about one episode (with luck) on primetime FOX.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Wow, great web site.  It doesn't provide a menu, phone number, or address.  Brilliant!

Before you ridicule some one else's technical shortcomings, and embarrass yourself, try the home page, not the frame link provided above.

Link

All the information is there.

Ah, Grasshopper, it is you with your snide attitude that is an embarassment.

I couldn't find the menu or phone number either... after a good deal of clicking around too.

I'd say that the site has a problem.

Edited by gfweb (log)