• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

In fairness, that's an awful lot of bleeping on the BBC version too and Gordon is far rougher at times with the staff than on this show.

I agree though that this was all about the drama and nothing about the food and much inferior the the UK show, which actually gives you some insights into what makes a restaurant successful. The menu changes were dismissed in about 30 seconds and I swear they were still serving the same store bought ravioli that Gordon complained about in the beginning.

Kinda cool the way Ramsay made Peter the bully into his bitch. That seemed to be the point of last night's episode.

Back when Hell's Kitchen first aired I was pretty vocal in my lack of respect for Ramsay. Then I saw some of the BBC's Kitchen Nightmare episodes and came to respect the guy.

One episode does not an entire series make. I'm hoping more of what was good about the BBC version starts to come through on the Fox version. Then again, Fox is Fox.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I'm hoping more of what was good about the BBC version starts to come through on the Fox version.  Then again, Fox is Fox.

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth.

One of my huge pet peeves was the music. The Fox version had nearly constant music. On top of that, it was overly dramatic "orchestral" crap. Kitchen Nightmares is a show that already deals with relatively "real" situations compared to most reality shows. It doesn't need the music. The emotions and drama are all there already. The music doesn't need to be there, incorrectly coloring those emotions.

In the British version, the music is present, but it's almost always low key jazzy/funky stuff, and nearly never the main focus, and doesn't contribute to the emotional gravity of the scenes.

As Holly Said though... Fox is Fox. I 100% expect they'll put out a crap show for the rest of the season. They're much too far up their own ******* with their reality "formula". (I'm still gonna watch... hoping for the best)

In fairness, that's an awful lot of bleeping on the BBC version too and Gordon is far rougher at times with the staff than on this show.

I acknowledge that there was a fair amount of "beeping" in the BBC version and that Gordon is rougher on the staff... But, in the BBC version, I always sensed compassion under his language and rough treatment -- he really seemed to want these restaurants to improve and stay afloat. "Tough love," ya know? That's what I felt in the BBC version. The US version, so far, seems to be about the drama with very very little emphasis on the food or strategies that Gordon employs to attempt to turn things around.

Granted, they are not running a how-to program, nor has it been billed as such. But I cannot get over the feeling that Gordon's considerable, legitimate talents aren't being utilized (or revealed).

I also found it interesting that the end credits included a note that said that the show "may" have been presented with a timeline that was different than the order of the actual events.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

I also found it interesting that the end credits included a note that said that the show "may" have been presented with a timeline that was different than the order of the actual events.

Pretty much how I manage my life.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I acknowledge that there was a fair amount of "beeping" in the BBC version and that Gordon is rougher on the staff... But, in the BBC version, I always sensed compassion under his language and rough treatment -- he really seemed to want these restaurants to improve and stay afloat. "Tough love," ya know? That's what I felt in the BBC version. The US version, so far, seems to be about the drama with very very little emphasis on the food or strategies that Gordon employs to attempt to turn things around.

I think this is right. I watched one of the BBC episodes last night (D-place) and was struck by how passionately involved Gordon was in trying to turn the place around. On the US show he seemed almost an observer while the drama focused on Peter.

Edited by rickster (log)

I got a very bad vibe from the beginning of the show - all those choppy cuts between the different parties griping about each other, wasting so much airtime that it took almost fifteen minutes for Gordon Ramsay to even get into the restaurant! And I wasn't any more impressed by the rest of the show - it looks to me like Fox took a great reality show and cut out everything that made it worth watching in favour of a bit of flash (overnight kitchen fairies anyone?!) and a lot of foul language :( If they wanted to show that Peter was a (BLEEP) they could have done that in two minutes and got on with the show.

Edited by Kajikit (log)

I also found the US version lacking so far. KN on BBCAmerica enlightened me to Ramsey's better nature. We could have been watching "Extreme Kitchen Makeovers" for all I saw.

I'm hoping this week's is like what the series should be and not last week's load of crap.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Anyone see Ransey of Larry King Live, it was pretty interesting but I fell asleep (long day) in the middle of it. He was discussing his brother and addiction when I conched out. Anyone see the rest? What did I miss?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

What did I miss?

He yelled at Larry King, calling him incompetent for dangling a participle, which caused Larry to cry. Then he threw a glass of water at Larry King because the water was luke warm, and finally, losing all patience with Larry, Ramsay sent him home with 10 minutes remaining in the show.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

What did I miss?

He yelled at Larry King, calling him incompetent for dangling a participle, which caused Larry to cry. Then he threw a glass of water at Larry King because the water was luke warm, and finally, losing all patience with Larry, Ramsay sent him home with 10 minutes remaining in the show.

I had some very mixed feelings when Gordon threw that water. On one hand I was angry that Larry was stupid enough to have staff members that would forget such a crucial detail........but on the other hand maybe he thought it was more of a "European" way to serve the water. Either way, I look forward to hearing Larry's reaction, and I hope the next person to host Gordon will learn from his mistakes.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Why do I have the feeling someone is pulling my leg?

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

No, my favorite moment was when he made the camera show all the chewing gum stuck underneath the interview table and asked Larry how he could he could run such a sloppy operation! :wink:

Seriously, he was well spoken, polite and calm as he discussed everything from his low sperm count from the hot stoves to being an absent father etc.

He sure must like basil though, as when someone asked him what his last meal would be, both courses had either a basil puree or fresh basil in them. (More a question of being caught off guard I suspect).

Anyone see Ransey of Larry King Live, it was pretty interesting but I fell asleep (long day) in the middle of it. He was discussing his brother and addiction when I conched out. Anyone see the rest? What did I miss?

I forgot to add that, for no apparent reason and just after the second commercial break, Ramsay took off his shirt and, looking ever so earnest, changed into a chef's jacket.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I have to say I did not like the US version of Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares. I was hoping for something similar to his UK show, but the editing seemed designed to enhance the drama artificially (apparently, the infestation of roaches and flies and managers wasn't enough drama?). The show was seriously dumbed down for US audiences.

And I felt that Gordon was playing to the camera. His outrage may have been real, but his passion wasn't. On the UK show, you can tell he really cares about the restauranteur and wants them to succeed. Here, I thought he was shouting just for the sake of shouting.

It reminded me too much of Hell's Kitchen.

I may give KN 1-2 more chances, but it will be more to see the horror show kitchens than for anything else. And to wonder if I've eaten there...

Cheers! :cool:

I forgot to add that, for no apparent reason and just after the second commercial break, Ramsay took off his shirt and, looking ever so earnest, changed into a chef's jacket.

Speaking of which, that came back in last night's episode...

I miss the reality in this version of the reality show. In the BBC version, you know how things are getting done. Last night -- voila! -- we've remodeled your dining room in a commercial break.

Ramsay took off his shirt and, looking ever so earnest, changed into a chef's jacket.

Speaking of which, that came back in last night's episode...

woohoo!

Anyhow, this one was slightly better. I truly wonder if they are reading the forums and adjusting. Ramsey was a bit more authoritative, actually helped get the restaurant focused on a cuisine, he cleaned rather than remodeled the kitchen (though the front of hte house got a remodel... but they do that in the BBC version often, to message "change")

I do miss the explanations of _why_ he does each thing. Here he seems like a random tyrant, on the BBC every decision was backed with logic, so you could learn as you were entertained.

They are a bit formulaic, that said...

"How to fix your restaurant"

1. realize it's a business and if you mess it up your life is ruined

2. simplify your menu to a small list of things done well

3. simplify your dishes to a few fresh local ingrediants

4. find out what the market wants

5. market test your food by grabbing locals

6. clean and fix equipment

7. fire the bums

8. change damaged brands (by changing name and design) or at least repaint

9. do a silly promotion to catch folks attention

10. group Hug! (added for the american audience)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

Anyhow, this one was slightly better. I truly wonder if they are reading the forums and adjusting. Ramsey was a bit more authoritative, actually helped get the restaurant focused on a cuisine, he cleaned rather than remodeled the kitchen (though the front of hte house got a remodel... but they do that in the BBC version often, to message "change")

While they could make some adjustments through editing, the episodes they're showing now were filmed a while ago.

Edited by rickster (log)

Thought I'd give it a couple of shows before weighing in but the Fox effect is evident in the heavy handed approach to this.

They appear to have borrowed a big piece from the Canadian made show "Restaurant Makeover" and although the British shows tried to give the mild impression that Gordon was actually thinking up a lot of this stuff (style and menu changes), in the U.S. version it's obvious his "creative" team is behind all the changes.

Still, the villains are recognizable from the British versions, just a bit more time spent on their ineptitude.

Yes, most if not all of the shows must be in the can and I have little hope for any post production tinkering to bring things more into line with the British versions, why be subtle when you can portray things with a sledgehammer on this network?

As for Gordon being kinder and gentler in the British version, actually caring about some of the owners? Yes, he was portrayed that way but I always felt that this was an act in most cases. How could a chef with his take no prisoners style of running his business have any sympathy for fools? I just didn't buy it.

One thing I miss from the old series is his surprise visit weeks later to see how things were going. He actually caught some of the slacker chefs with newly filthy kitchens and this added a nice finish to the show.

Funny how not only do they bleep the language but actually try to save lip readers by blurring the offenders mouth!

I'll keep watching for now as it's still far more interesting then Hell's Kitchen.

I also really dislike the lack of the follow-up visit, like there is in the BBC version. Turning a restaurant around means nothing if they don't stick to it. The follow-up visit is what would make me actually want to check out a place if I had access to it, not the initial makeover; it shows whether or not what they learned has "stuck."

Oh, and to the person above who mentioned the shirt-changing scene, this is standard in the BBC version, we always laugh when they have the obligatory shirt-changing scene. It could be a drinking game. Finish your drink when he changes the shirt, and before and after that happens, everyone drinks everytime Gordon says "f*ckin' hell." :)

second episode was better than the first.  But the show still seems to be geared around on having a "bad guy" to go after.  I guess that's the TV formula at work here.

Yeah. The wife and I were discussing how nobody had clean hands (oops!) in that mess of a restaurant. What was stopping the floor manager and ops manager from making sure that the kitchen and pantry were clean?

They all should've been fired. And the owner, if he lets dirtbags steal his money, he can only blame himself. What a disgraceful place.

The Martin Hyde deposition.

(pdf)

So.... Gordon won the bare knuckle boxing championship of the U.K. by beating the former Gypsy champion in a 22 round contest in a freight yard (and this was recently)?

Methinks the fact checking of Mr. McDermitt's lawyer needs a bit of scrutiny.

Hilarious to think about though :laugh: