• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

• 3 weeks later...

Well, they're really milking old Gordon now. And from the clips I saw, it unfortunately looks like, as Bourdain once put it "Gordon doing Gordon five years ago" with the screaming and throwing things as opposed to the UK Kitchen Nightmares which is seems more, um, real for lack of a better term.

Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares is back!

We're looking for British or Irish owned restaurants, bistros, cafes, pubs or hotels in France that are struggling to succeed or just need help taking their business to the next level.

If you know of a restaurant that needs some help in France, please call +44 7967 1762 or email alex.robinson@optomen.com

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Tony defends Gordon a lot as he is now, and says shows like Boiling Point were Gordo 10 years ago, when Gordo was a lot angrier and under pressure to (a) get his Michelin stars and (b) fight off his ex-partners from Aubergine. But shows like HK is Gordo being that Gordo from long ago, not the newer, kinder, gentler Gordo of Kitchen Nightmares. No wonder viewers are confused. Which Gordo is the real one? (I think he's both - but he puts on a lot more vintage Gordo because gets more generally pissed off at the useless contestants - on HK.)

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else watching the new episodes?

That restaurant in Spain- I'd be hitting the British food too if that were my alternative.

I couldn't believe the guy cooked kabobs a day ahead of time. And Ramsays expression when he saw the swinging presentation was priceless.

I had to laugh when Gordon turned the prawns and chocolate and chicken stuffed with bananas into smoothies. :blink:

BBCA is airing Beyond Boiling Point at 1:30p (ET) all this week. They aired the first Boiling Point last week. Soon BBCA will be all Gordon all the time when it isn't Cash In The Attic....

• 1 month later...
Not scheduled to start until September we already have controversy: Kitchen Nightmare Lawsuit (N.Y.)

Not exactly a surprise but this is going to generate a ton of publicity for Fox. Basically Ramsay and co. are being sued for alleged staging of scenes and (alleged) villification of a staff member in the featured restaurant.

Interesting to note that this past summer the producers and broadcaster admitted that a spearfishing sequence from his 'F Word' TV show was staged. Ramsay was a part of it as he claimed to have caught the fish in question...

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,2127536,00.html

Edited by Fpoint (log)

"You're drunk."

"Just bring out the cakes."

"Cakes and fine wine."

"If you don't leave we'll call the police."

"Balls! We want the finest wines available to humanity, and we want them here and we want them now!"

--Withnail & I--

http://meandmyfork.blogspot.com/

http://booksaboutfood.blogspot.com/

Not scheduled to start until September we already have controversy: Kitchen Nightmare Lawsuit (N.Y.)

Not exactly a surprise but this is going to generate a ton of publicity for Fox. Basically Ramsay and co. are being sued for alleged staging of scenes and (alleged) villification of a staff member in the featured restaurant.

Interesting to note that this past summer the producers and broadcaster admitted that a spearfishing sequence from his 'F Word' TV show was staged. Ramsay was a part of it as he claimed to have caught the fish in question...

http://media.guardian.co.uk/site/story/0,,2127536,00.html

Ah, the old stunt fish routine.

I am still looking forward to the show. And having followed the lawsuit, the guy who filed it needs to man up and just get on with life. I have seen the previews and that kitchen was beyond gross.

I am still looking forward to the show. And having followed the lawsuit, the guy who filed it needs to man up and just get on with life. I have seen the previews and that kitchen was beyond gross.

Sad when it becomes easier to just file an alleged lawsuit against someone rather than take on the respondsibility and facing the fact that the guy with the knowledge was probably right to begin with.

I've been enjoying Kitchen Nightmares on BBC America and am looking forward to the US version.

Regarding the lawsuit, the following immediately came to mind: If you invite Gordon Ramsey into your kitchen, do you expect it to be lollipops and roses?

Having been in more restaurant kitchens than I really wanted, I doubt that anyone has to fake dirt, crappy furniture, or cruddy food. It's pretty hard to fake 20 years' worth of grease anyway...

Just watched the Walnut Tree episode.  What puzzles me is how the current owner got the means to buy this place.  He seems clueless in restaurant management, and it would seem amazing if he makes the place a success again.  He was also so unreceptive to Gordon's good advice, a very stubborn man!

the show is edited to make these owners as clueless as possible, but it really wasn't fair to the walnut tree. it was this new owner who had brought the changes that finally made the walnut tree inn a michelin star restaurant. while the previous owners were highly respected, they had never attained that michelin star for thirty years when they owned and ran their restaurant.

my problem with the show is that while ramsay's style has been very succesful for him, sometimes i think he pushes a certain style onto every restaurant, irregardless of what the restaurant is attempting to do. his emphasis on simple food may be what's needed for a casual bistro, especially when there's no talent in the back of the house. but, some of the other restaurants were trying to be something else and yet ramsay had the same solution for them. for example, if the new owner was trying to take the walnut tree to the next level and michelin star status, was pushing for rustic italian really the best way to go about that?

and, i thought it was a bit unfair to compare the prices for the walnut inn and other neighboring restaurant when a better comparison would have have been to compare the price between walnut inn and other one star michelin restaurants. at the reveal, after slashing its prices, the walnut inn was still more expensive than neighboring restaurants but its using better, more expensive ingredients. of course, its prices would therefore be higher.

It was hard to decide which Ramsay thread to pop this into but...it is certainly a nightmare

The Sun article titled Gordon Burns His Plums

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320...7410829,00.html

T

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

It was hard to decide which Ramsay thread to pop this into but...it is certainly a nightmare

The Sun article titled  Gordon Burns His Plums.

Ouch....!

"You're drunk."

"Just bring out the cakes."

"Cakes and fine wine."

"If you don't leave we'll call the police."

"Balls! We want the finest wines available to humanity, and we want them here and we want them now!"

--Withnail & I--

http://meandmyfork.blogspot.com/

http://booksaboutfood.blogspot.com/

Best part about the US version of Kitchen Nightmares?

I didn't have to watch Gordon strip.

I rather missed the obligatory beefcake shot... it was about the only exploitive thing they didn't do.

I'm miserably disappointed in KN. I loved the British version. It could be show in MBA classes as business 101. But this one is "cops" in a restaurant. Not enough cooking, not enough food and way too much reality drama crap. I feel obligated to try one more episode, but this is not looking good.

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

This show is so below Gordon. There was almost nothing about the actual food, and more about him having to babysit that moron.

The British version is far superior. I'll give it another shot, because first shows of any genre are typically horrible.

This was such a disappointment. I wish Fox really would view the British version of this show. The BBC version actually shows Gordon constructively assessing the restaurant as a whole and teaching people how to succeed, albeit Gordon's way, but succeed none the less.

Fox seems to think we Americans just want to see vilence and hear the f word. What a huge disappointment.

One thing I did find amusing was each time we went outside, until the parting shot, the Zagat award was in full view. It should tell you something about those Zagat awards. :raz:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

No doubt about it, it was shite.

However, given the state of American reality television, I bet it gets picked up for another season or two...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Re: As a reality show: Not as good as the Brit version. Smarter than most 5th graders (no offense, kids).

Agreed they need more emphasis on food and less features like the bookie stopping by and the clam-stealing creep losing it moments before service. Having suffered through the faux drama of last season's Top Chef, my fuse is a little short for that kind of food TV. I'll stick around in the hopes Gordon spends more time near the stoves (although not that near, dear.)

The US version I saw -- they "Ramsay'd" a place called Peter's -- missed all of the features that made the UK version a treat. Instead, the US version focused on the family drama, and what I am SURE were set-pieces of the bookies coming to the restaurant. I did think that the re-fitting of the kitchen was a nice touch, and wondered where that money came from.

Without suggesting that he has any acting talent, the manager -- Peter -- seemed to me to be an impractical caricature. Perhaps he's 100% genuine, but it sure didn't feel like it to me.

Sadly, it seems that Gordon is satisfied for Americans to think of him as the a> loudmouthed b> jerk who is c> also a chef, rather than trading on his considerable skills as a chef and restaurateur.

That being said, I'll probably watch the whole series (as long as it lasts) just because I think it's important to support cooking shows in general.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant