• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares"

UK News Team

:biggrin:  :biggrin:

I recorded it and showed it to my old man- God I laughed my socks off!!!!!!

Especially when I saw the plates saved on a shelf for use on "another dish" ( although we do use ours a bit more than that, so they don't actually get cling filmed!!

Did I ever tell you the one about the water bath we bought from ebay.................

:laugh:  :laugh:

Were the plates even used, I presumed they were shrink wrapped from delivery.

I felt a little sorry for him, he presumably liked cooking at some point and has presumably read and seen some fancy dishes that he was trying to replicate. Unfortunately he had never eaten at decent restaurants for at least 16 years (that was the amount of time they had worked without takeing a day off) and somewhere along the line had come to believe that what he was doing was what was required.

I hope they are doing a little better now and that they are managing to relax a little more and take some time off. However misguided they may have been (I would lay the blame souly at his feet judging by the programme), nobody deserves to work that hard for so long for so little return :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Especially when I saw the plates saved on a shelf for use on "another dish" ( although we do use ours a bit more than that, so they don't actually get cling filmed!!

nobody deserves to work that hard for so long for so little return :sad:

I must quickly add that I was laughing at my hubby, and his inability to pass the V&B shop and ebay. I am certainly in no position to laugh at the couple, as we work similar hours each week- only we close two days a week to make it all worthwhile.

I'm not that horrid- honest!!

:smile:

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Caught the repeat last night. Gordo Walnuts 'fuck' quotient does appear to have gone through the fucking roof. Landlord reminded me of wassisname, the blind geezer who used to be Home Secretary, the one who dallied with - or as Walnuts might say, 'fucked' - that Kim Quim. I notice that no one else has had the decency to hyperlink the Campaign For Real Gravy, but check it out: apparently, Delia Smith is Walnuts' arch-nemesis!

There's a TV show I'd watch: 'Gers vs. Canaries, a goalless draw?

"Fuck football, Delia, let's wrestle. Naked. In gravy."

Ohh, gotta log off...

nobody deserves to work that hard for so long for so little return :sad:

I must quickly add that I was laughing at my hubby, and his inability to pass the V&B shop and ebay. I am certainly in no position to laugh at the couple, as we work similar hours each week- only we close two days a week to make it all worthwhile.

I'm not that horrid- honest!!

:smile:

Don't worry I didn't think for one minte you were laughing at them for the hours they put in.

That link to the Campaign for real gravy isn't particularly great is it? It might be better embedded in the Fenwick Arms own website:

The Fenwick Arms

Blunkett the pub owner! the tongue thing just made me shudder...

Apart from that, I felt desperately sorry for them/him, clinging on to the last bits of what he saw as the only identity he had, with his crazy menu...

If you look at the "Gallery" section on the website, you may notice that the famous plates are still in use...

I was just looking at them and wondering if they were "before" or "after" :wink: publicity shots !!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

If you look at the "Gallery" section on the website, you may notice that the famous plates are still in use...

I was just looking at them and wondering if they were "before" or "after" :wink: publicity shots !!

Along with prawn cocktail 'Gordon Ramsay style, in a glass' - don't think he can really claim that one....

Just watched tonight's episode (BTW the owners menu on the return visit sounded a lot better than Gordons) and noticed something I hadn't picked up on before, the credits listed both a food coordinator and a restaurant consultant. Now I'm not naive enough to think that he single handedly reinvents failing restaurants but that does cast doubt over how much if any of the work he does at all - is he just the presenter?

I love animals.

They are delicious.

From the trailer for this programme- I kept thinking, I am sure I recognise the Chef -Nick Anderson and so it turned out. A colleague had recommended both Rococco and Hambleton Hall way back in 2000, when we were sorting out our Honeymoon itinerary. We opted for the latter back then.

But as we holiday in North Norfolk each year, we eventually made it to the Rococco when it was based at The Crown in Wells-next-the-Sea a few years back. The place where it seemed to go pear shaped for him when his business partners backed out of the venture. From watching the programme -I felt rather sory for him- as his previous success and Michelin star from years gone by had left him in time-warp denial.

Good on him though - for turning things around. It must have been a bitter pill to swallow for Ramsay to lay into him and his once Michelin lauded food, but at least he came through it (finally).

That front of house guy was a cock though- wasn't he?

Edited by Bapi (log)

I only got to see the programme last night. Ramsay was absolutely right with his criticism of the old style saucing ans presentation. I mean all those alternate dots with the sauce, what was that all about?

gallery_40722_2742_332149.jpg

And all that poncey plating, so stuck in the .....hold on a minute.....

gallery_40722_2742_142172.jpg

gallery_40722_2742_19742.jpg

And sticking with those old dishes was ridiculous......er.........sorry..............what do you mean he's still serving Aubergine Caviar, Lamb rump...yawn......Lobster and Langoustine Ravioli? That must be at least ten years old now...is the guy is hanging on to past glories?

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

Matthew that is one of the most astute observations and posts on this subject. :biggrin:

With regards to his chocolates I do not think he is actually to knowledgeable or keen on them himself or aware that they have contained a fair share of hydrogenated oils.

Chocolates

I eventually enjoyed the program the realisation that he should leave the past behind and move on was the best part.

It's a lesson many people should learn but usually can't let go.

What pisses me off about GR is that he takes the Mickey out of Ainsley but he doining exactly the same.

He presents programs.

I expect we will see a complete range of Ramsey programs, gardening, antiques room makeovers, property renovation the potential list is endless.

Today I noticed Walnut's ugly mug blown up big in the window of Threshers and the question occurred to me, can that greedy twat stoop any lower?

Only by following his campaign for proper cooking by putting his name a range of ready meals. But that couldn't happen, could it?