• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

stabilizers for vegetable whipping cream

kthull

Hi all.

I had a request this morning for help in finding "a supplier of flavoured stabilizing blends (fonds) for vegetable whipping cream."

I don't have more information than that and didn't find anything with a few different searches, so I thought I'd ask here before digging deeper.

Thanks!

Clarification will definitely be helpful. Is this a "whipped cream substitute" that's made from a non-dairy product of some sort? I'd lean towards using either agar agar (not a typo or a redundancy - that is the name) or food grade carageenan.

The carageenan I've tried that works in cold frothy beverages to prevent separation and help the liquids hold together. It's available from

Coffeewholesalers.com

They describe it as being intended for milk based drinks - it may not work with a vegetable based cream. Agar Agar should be available at any large Asian grocery.

The part that tripped me up is the "flavorized" part. As for more info, I asked and I'm waiting to see if the person will offer any. As for where the request came from, at my site I offer to do what I can to find sources for ingredients, equipment, whatever. This being the first one that had me stumped, and seemingly a vegan thing, I was hoping some of you might already know what this is.

From what I could dig up this morning, it's the "vegetable whipping cream" is a dairy-free whipping cream substitute :blink: so I'd also think a vegan stabilizer is in order, as phaelon56 suggests. I do know they have vegetable-based gelatin, but again it's the "flavorized" and even the "fonds" parts that got me.

Thanks.

I forgot about the "flavored" part. Well.... depending on the flavor desired, you might try using the Torani flavor syrups that are poplular for Italian sodas and flavored coffee drinks. They add a good dose of flavor and I shoudl think that the added liquid could be counteracted with the right proprtion of stabilizer. I'll also advise that the carageenan is very tricky stuff - anything more than a little bit can be too much. I think agar agar is easier to work with.

I do not know if this applicable but check out the website forPierre Gagnaire. He does a chantilly cream. The theory is that if use the right ratio of gelatin to a fat, you will create an emulsion that will whip up like a "chantilly" cream. Take a look at it. I am pretty sure that there is a discussion of it in another thread if you do a topic search of him. This way you flavor the fat or the gelatin and you can do flavored vegetable whipping cream.

This is theoretically, of course, I have been trying to do it with parmesan cheese fat, and have not yet found the right balance. :angry:

Good luck, do report your results. :cool:

Patrick Sheerin

I've never comprehended stablizers being used in whipped cream. The ones I've tried over the years had no real effect. If you use a high fat cream 35% it will last whipped for days. The biggest problem I've seen when observing others make whipped cream is they under whip. Under whipping is fine for many applications, but when you need it to last whipped or your frosting a cake with it, you've got to go until the whisk leaves clear tracks thru the cream.

The people I've met that were most frustrated over how long whipped cream lasts were people that thought it would be like the fake stuff-dream whip, thats non dairy.