• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Bars

Varmint

I've been all over the country, but grew up and still live right here in good ol' SC, and I love it.  One big difference - cigarette smoking.  I think, partially due to the tobacco crop being grown here, lots more people smoke.  Ironically, the number of smokers seems to be the highest at two type of Southern dive bars I frequent - the gay dive bars, the "indie" dive bars and the redneck dive bars.  Over half the patrons are smoking like chimneys.  :raz:  I'm not being critical, because I'm one of them.

Well - once again people are talking about the southeast without mentioning Florida although it is the most southeastern state in the country - and the largest state in terms of population in the region.

As far as smoking is concerned - you can't smoke indoors in most food establishments in Florida (exception is made for standalone bars where only a small fraction of sales - I think it's 10% or less - comes from food).

Since the state is so big - I'm sure people can find any kind of bar they're looking for here (except a bar that serves a fair amount of food and allows smoking indoors). Robyn

Robyn-

I'll try to stay on topic here, but when you think of some of the stereotypical southern bars as described above, is there a certain part of Floriday where these types are more common? Would northern Florida be more representative, or have migration patterns from elsewhere made Florida pretty much a broad-based fusion of cultural norms?

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

And Mayhaw, what about the places in Louisiana that will have a free supper once a week? Usually gumbo, a good rice and gravy, maybe a sauce picante or jambalaya. And usually held on Sundays or Tuesdays.

Go in order a beverage of choice, and a plate of yumminess. Follow up with several more beverages for dessert, maybe a game of pool (or rarely darts). Catch the Saints game if it is on.

What could be better? An airconditioned oasis serving libations of your choice, with free food and a football team playing in a taxpayer supported stadium. I miss that.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

You'll need some faded football paraphenalia from the favoured regional clubs, and bumper stickers plastered on things behind the bar.

Robyn-

I'll try to stay on topic here, but when you think of some of the stereotypical southern bars as described above, is there a certain part of Floriday where these types are more common?  Would northern Florida be more representative, or have migration patterns from elsewhere made Florida pretty much a broad-based fusion of cultural norms?

Not addressed to me, but I'll take a stab on the claim of some authority. The yankee swarms have made Florida quite a bit more multicultural. So you'll likely find your southern bars most prominent in the northern and panhandle regions, and in a corridor running down the center of the state in the farming and ranching areas, right through to the 'glades. There are still parts of the west coast that have not been developed yet and are still pretty rural as well, so it's not all forsaken.

I certainly agree with the above, but another thing I've seen in the Southeast is year-round (except for maybe Dec. and Jan.) outdoor beer gardeny type places. There might be a little indoor area, but the action is mostly outside and the bar is only popular when it's not raining! Patio, cheap furniture, southern rock/country cover band, lots of beer and the afformentioned highballs in plastic cups. At the one in my hometown it was a great place to see your high school teachers drunk!!

SML

"When I grow up, I'm going to Bovine University!" --Ralph Wiggum

"I don't support the black arts: magic, fortune telling and oriental cookery." --Flanders

Robyn-

I'll try to stay on topic here, but when you think of some of the stereotypical southern bars as described above, is there a certain part of Floriday where these types are more common?  Would northern Florida be more representative, or have migration patterns from elsewhere made Florida pretty much a broad-based fusion of cultural norms?

It's not so much a particular geographical area - as particular socioeconomic areas. Go to places where lower middle class or lower class white people live - and you'll find your so-called stereotypical southern bars. Since there are more people in these socioeconomic groups in the central - northern - and western parts of the state - as opposed to the southeast and southwest coastal areas - your pickings will be better there. Heck - you can even find bars like this if you look around enough. By the way - I do not recommend these authentic bars as "tourist" experiences. We're not talking young kids with country music with lots of beer bars. The bars where people went this week after attending the Alabama farewell tour concert (at $1000/seat for front row seats!!). We're talking (just IMO) white trash sexist racist anti-semitic "white power" places where I doubt most people here would feel comfortable.

And if anyone thinks I'm being unduly harsh about the southeast - when I used to live in Boston - the "southie" bars were no better. Just the accents were different.

My husband and I don't like bars with confederate flags (and they mean it when they fly the confederate flag) - or politically correct fern bars where you can't smoke. Guess that's why we do most of our drinking at home these days :sad: (unless we're in south Florida where there are many more places with outdoor patio facilities where smoking is allowed). Robyn

We're talking (just IMO) white trash sexist racist anti-semitic "white power" places where I doubt most people here would feel comfortable.

Now where does one purchase a brush this broad? It's so big, when we're done painting a whole class of folks, we can use it for sweeping generalizations, too!

I was born and raised on the west coast of Florida, and my father in central Florida. These bars may not be bastions of Havard liberalism, but there are plenty of good, hard working and honest southerners of all races who can enjoy them.

" No credit. Don't ask."

Brooks, you did such a wonderful job describing it that by the time I got to this line I could hear Lucinda Williams singing it :smile: It is a beautiful, evocative song (and easy enough that even I learned how to play it :wink:).

Since my college days I always thought of Judge Roy Bean's in Daphne, AL, just across the bay from Mobile, as the quintessential southern bar: big, old rustic roadhouse with great live music, BBQ pit out back, loads of people outside on weekend afternoons surrounded by huge oak trees with overhanging Spanish moss. Anyone know if it's still around?

The Flora-Bama (another personal favorite) was our alternate, although I never managed to attend the infamous Mullet Toss that joiei mentioned. We'd stay on the beach all day, running back and forth for additional refreshments, then after sunset settle in for the band (endless Lynyrd Skynyrd and Marshall Tucker Band covers, of course).

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

We're talking (just IMO) white trash sexist racist anti-semitic "white power" places where I doubt most people here would feel comfortable.

Hang on just a second there. I've been in some real dives, a few biker bars, plenty of bars with specific clientelle, and a number of college hangouts. I have only seen one confederate flag in that entire time, and that was a biker bar. The vehicles out front may be a different story. But I know of no (with that one exception) bar owner who would ever open himself to that kind of controversy. For the most part, people who run bars are business people. Money is green. That makes most of them colorblind.

I'm not saying that there aren't racists in the south. There are racists in the north, east and west too. They wear boots, dirty jeans, Armani, and uniforms as well.

You have judged a large number of southern bars, and therefore their customers, to be racist. You are even saying that those particular bars are the reason the original question was posted. Not even close. The question referred to an inquiry about the drinking habits and general atmosphere of a typical southern bar. Not the percieved prejudices of the place's operators.

Please refrain from making general accusations having nothiing to do with the subject. We (meaning people who were born/were raised/or currently live in the south) are not all racist, any more than all New Yorkers are 1st generation immigrants, or citizens of DC are murdering theives who will step over a dead body in the street.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Y'all, I started this thread hoping that we could discuss some of the aspects of Southern bars that make them different from those found elsewhere. I did not start this thread to propogate ages old stereotypes, good or bad, nor did I want this turned into a political discussion. Thus, let me get this thread back on track by asking some focused questions, many of which have already been answered:

1. Are there specific beers or drinks served that may not be as common elsewhere?

2. What kind of food can be found in these joints, if any?

3. Musical differences?

4. Unique specials or happy hours?

I think you get my drift. If we get political, this thread is over.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

good lord. this topic is a recent one in my real life.

i went to the redneckiest redneck bar on the behest of my roommate a couple weekends back.

there was a pool table. there were older people with few teeth drinking by themselves. shrunken concert t-shirts and trucker caps were in abundance.

in speaking with the waitress and bartender i found that mixed drinks weren't very common. yes they get requests for cosmopolitans and slippery nipples every once in a while, but mostly it's beers and shots of jack, bourbon, and tequila.

there were 3 men sitting at a table - one was babysitting - the other two could barely walk. one feel out of his chair. it was bay-sitters job to take guide him down the stairs and take him home. he came back with his godfather (the other barely walking drunk) and told me that they had dropped the other guy off on his lawn.

there was karaoke.

moment of zen - a redneck named scout, with greasy blackish grey-ish long hair and dirty trucker cap. rail thin, with a cigarette hanging from his lip and longneck in his hand, teetering whilst singing a Lynrd Skynrd song.

it was classic.

so anyways, i get to my office on mondya and tell my certified, bonafide, redneck coworker about visiting the redneck-iest bar ever and he says....

did they have moonshine under the counter? cuz a true redneck bar is gonna have moonshine under the counter and htye won't sya they got it or they won't they'll just make sure no one's looking, reach under the bar and pour you some.

so yeah. thanks for giving me the opportunity to share my story.

oh a couple other things - 2 cocktails, 6 beers - total tab - 19 bucks.

they have a ladies buy one get one free on wednesday nights. there was also a band. i'm thankful to say (and this was a standby on the northern bar scene) there was no singing or playing of brown-eyed girl. Or bruce springsteen. or billy joel.

oh and there was also that one girl. y'all know the one. she's either dreams of becoming, currently is, or at one time was a stripper? she was there. drunk and pole dancing to whatever was being played.

Edited by tryska (log)

Only in Florida can you find a dive bar on the grounds of a building listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Kenilworth Lodge reminds me of Kubrick's Overlook, but in a smaller, friendlier way. Unfortunately when it was built in 1916 alcohol was banned on the premises so there is now a dive bar appurtenance in the parking lot behind the building.

To address Dean's questions on this particular watering hole:

1. Are there specific beers or drinks served that may not be as common elsewhere?

Bud. Cold and in the can with no glass. Slammed down unopened on the bar by the t-shirt clad bar-wench.

2. What kind of food can be found in these joints, if any?

SlimJims. Anything more expensive and you couldn't smoke in the joint.

3. Musical differences?

Cash, Twitty, Wynotte etc. in the juke along with the less-played Skynard and their sort. One night we were treated to some George Jones karaoke by this guy who was obviously feeling as much pain as George ever had. Man, he was good. My buddy couldn't take it though and dragged me by the arm out of the place.

4. Unique specials or happy hours?

What, are you serious?

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Now we're hitting the speed limit...I've been to a bayouque joint outside Crystal City, Texas--bout 1978---where we had Armadillo races, then they were smoked....good too...this was of course before the leptospirosis hit those critters. NOPE...TASTES LIKE HAM. :laugh:

Nope, dear child, watching them be. You have only got to see a line of 5 marines doing the duck-waddle song, and another being Mae West(rather well, gotta say) to consider it an entertaining evening.

doh. a little dyslexia and i read "saw" as "was". we had a guy like that come to my collge once. it is amusing.

The Flora-Bama (another personal favorite) was our alternate, although I never managed to attend the infamous Mullet Toss that joiei mentioned.

I was so disappointed to discover that the mullet is a type of fish. When you said "mullet-tossing," I had visions of tossing local dudes with mullet hair-dos in the air. I guess the Florabama version is fun too. :wink:

The Flora-Bama (another personal favorite) was our alternate, although I never managed to attend the infamous Mullet Toss that joiei mentioned.

I was so disappointed to discover that the mullet is a type of fish. When you said "mullet-tossing," I had visions of tossing local dudes with mullet hair-dos in the air. I guess the Florabama version is fun too. :wink:

:laugh:

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Bwah! Me, too! Editing to note that I envisioned guys with mullets tossing their hair. You know, flipping it from side to side over their shoulders. Not being tossed themselves.

Ok, one no one has mentioned. There must be David Allan Coe on the jukebox. You know, "I was drunk. The day my mom. Got outta prison. And I went. To pick her up. In the raaaaaaain." Wouldn't be complete w/out it, or w/out Bocephus singing "Family Tradition". No trip to a bar w/my parents would be complete w/out a drunken family singalong of these two classics, and I must be allowed to change the lyrics to "Why do you drink, why do you smoke dope" without anyone complaining.

Even better if the bar is in a trailer. In a trailer park. And even if you haven't been by in, oh, say, 5 years, the bartender still remembers your regular drink order and puts it down in front of you before you've uttered word one.

Unfortunatly for my asthmatic, allergic, weak little ass, there must be smoking. And at least one baby/toddler/youngin' in the bar.

Dad starts singing after 2 Natty Lights (in a can), or 2 MGDs (in a bottle). Man cannot hold his liquor. Remind me to tell everyone about him, drunk at A Southern Season some time.

Edited by JennotJenn (log)

Gourmet Anarchy

• 1 month later...
i consider myself an expert on the subject......first of all they have to smell really bad with terrible bathrooms, sleazy white trash bartenders and women's underwear hanging from the ceiling....and they must serve PBR in a can for 1 dollar....the bar is called big john's tavern in charleston, sc......:"charleston's best dive since 1965"......i think the last time they cleaned the bathroom was 1965.....my favorite place on earth........

I think brocks post sums it up. Also, don't forget The Sand Dollar Social Club on Folly Beach. You have to pay the $1 membership fee per year or go there with a member. They've got "hot bikes and cold beers" as well as the old potato chip bag holder behind the bar displaying "tom's" potato chips, "alka seltzer", beef jerky, and any other headache remedy medication. As far as music: Skynard, Allman Brothers, Marshall Tucker, Jimmy Buffet, and Charlie Daniels Band all come standard on the jukebox. I've even been to a bar that had a horseshoe pit... Now that's a good time.

• 4 months later...

In the search to bring proper southern culture to me (a northern girl) a friend from West Virginia (born and bred) decided I needed to visit several 'beer joints'.

The night started with cans of beer provided on the floor of her car to warm up my feet for the upcoming event of the evening (along with beer beer beer) which was flatfoot dancing.

We went to a uh, well you would call it a hamlet I guess...way off the side of the road...where everyone had the same last name.

The parking lot of the...shed? shack? garage? was full of pickup trucks so in we wandered. Cover charge collected by the guy who was also selling milk, cigarettes and probably also fishbait in the front room. (After all, one can need these things at any time of day and night and why not be neighborly?)

Jenna told me of how this place looked like where she lived, her first five or six years.

Live band. Good. Loud. Bizarre.

No sooner had we slid into our seats than at least three beers were bought for us and lined up in a neat line for the little ladies to imbibe. (Hopeful fellows, southern guys are...almost as hopeful as the French.)

Lots of dancing, too much beer to drink but it kept appearing along with a lot of nice smiles.

Dancing!...the Yankee learned to dance flatfoot to some happy hoots of the customers (gee I don't know how they could tell I wasn't 'from there' but they knew) and in return the down home folks learned a bit of salsa.

Later, we tottered out into the night. I still have memories of the lady who owned the place...who kept sitting in the booth and falling against me laughing...she was a large lady with very very short cropped hair...and the dancefloor where sixty year old men with checked shirts and cowboy hats held their own with sixty five year old skinny determined women in tight fake leather pants.

Would I do it again? Yep.

Oh yes. Cigarette smoke and pool table under one really bright light.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Does anyone remember "The Keg" on king St. in Charleston? I think it was on the same block as Sermet's Corner and Zebo's. I would go there after class at JW drink $1.25 Buds and watch the old crazy vets scream at the John Wanye movie on the tv "THAT'S NOT HOW IT WAS!!!!"

R.I.P.

Johnny Ramone

1948-2004

www.RAMONES.com