• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tales (and pictures!) of trips in Japan

Palladion

Tempura Kondo is very famous. I wish I could go there.

One of the greatest item there is sweet potato tempura, which is 7-cm thick, coated and deep-fried for 30 minutes, then wrapped in paper towel for 5 to 7 minutes.

You can see a photo of it here. Scroll down and see the third photo from the bottom.

Tempura Kondo is very famous.  I wish I could go there.

One of the greatest item there is sweet potato tempura, which is 7-cm thick, coated and deep-fried for 30 minutes, then wrapped in paper towel for 5 to 7 minutes.

You can see a photo of it here.  Scroll down and see the third photo from the bottom.

Sounds like it was prepared in a similar to the squash we had. Just AMAZING!

gallery_41537_5153_51414.jpg

Edited by The Blissful Glutton (log)

That is really beautiful!

Any idea why it is wrapped in a paper towel for over 5 minutes?

Though from the picture it doesn't look like it, but was the tempura coating softened at all because of that?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Though from the picture it doesn't look like it, but was the tempura coating softened at all because of that?

I think he wraps it to continue the cooking. The coating is rubbed off to reveal a roasted and sticky sweet squash. Gorgeous.

I think he wraps it to continue the cooking. The coating is rubbed off to reveal a roasted and sticky sweet squash. Gorgeous.

BG is right. From the site I provided a link to:

そして、絶品中の絶品は、サツマイモの天ぷらである――。

お馴染みなのは、サツマイモを輪切りにして揚げたもの。以前は近藤も、同じように揚げていたが、何かひとつ物足りなさを拭えなかった。天ぷらとしてのバランスが悪く、ちっとも美味しいと思わなかった。もっと美味しく食べられる手だてはないものか?――

試行錯誤の結果、近藤はサツマイモをどんと塊の大きさに切った。高さおよそ7センチの円柱。

それに衣をつけて――そのままごろんと鍋に放り込む。こまめにひっくり返しながら、表面の衣を180℃で揚げて、サツマイモの甘みが逃げ出さないようにコーティングする。

表面が揚がったら、170℃の鍋に移して、中までじっくりと時間をかけて火を通す。温度を下げるのは、周りを焦がさないため――。

30分ほどで鍋から上げ――キッチンペーパーで包んでしばらく置き、余熱で残りの芯に火を通す。最後まで鍋で火を通すと、周りが水っぽくなってしまう。ホクホクに仕上げるための、職人の工夫である。

そうして5分から7分ほど蒸らして出来上り。ホクホク感を出すために、箸で切り分ける。

手間暇かけて作り上げた、近藤のサツマイモの天ぷら――こんがりと揚がった衣の部分に糖分が凝縮され、絶品なのである。

I did some googling and found that Sato Yosuke, mentioned in the first post here, specializes in Inaniwa udon, a specialty of Akita prefecture. It happens to a favorite of mine until I encountered authentic Sanuki udon, a specialty of Kagawa prefecture, which is now an absolute favorite of mine. That thick and firm texture!

Now, I'm curious about the soba mentioned in photo #16. I can't tell what type of soba it was from the photos.

Jennifer, thank you for taking us on your trip to Japan.........a place that is #1 on my list of "in my dreams". You pics and commentaries are fantastic, and I find myself checking in way to often to see what you have posted.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I did some googling and found that Sato Yosuke, mentioned in the first post here, specializes in Inaniwa udon, a specialty of Akita prefecture.  It happens to a favorite of mine until I encountered authentic Sanuki udon, a specialty of Kagawa prefecture, which is now an absolute favorite of mine.  That thick and firm texture!

Now, I'm curious about the soba mentioned in photo #16.  I can't tell what type of soba it was from the photos.

Aopther sanuki udon fan here!!

I was hoping to get more information about that soba as well. It is some of the thinnest and lightest (in color) soba I have ever seen. The picture upthread looks like there was yuba (tofu skin) in it as well. The picture in your album of the man's soba looks thicker but still quite light in color.

If you ever find out more information about that place let us know.

Also the pictures of the menu (?) in your album, are those from the shop?

Jennifer,

Those are just amazing pictures!

I can't wait to see the rest of the trip.

I wish I was eating so well... :blink:

Rona,

Make sure you let me know when you are in town, I am more than happy to go out and eat with you! :biggrin:

Can we go to Tempura Kondo? :biggrin:

I may be coming sooner than later!

Just give me a date and a time and I will be there!!

Thanks for all the feedback guys. The concierge who recommended the noodle spot was not here the past two days--I will do my best to find out. The menu photos were from there though.

The past two days have been pretty exhausting and I have not taken many food photos--sorry!

We went to Kyoto for a day trip. A nice contrast to Tokyo and I love a good train ride.

gallery_41537_5153_6268.jpg

We were in a rush, so we just found some random noodle spot in town. There was a 400 year old one we had planned to go to, but the line was 30 minutes deep and it started raining. My Dad had the noodles (which were green) with herring and I had the tempura with the fat white noodles--very tasty broth.

gallery_41537_5153_35187.jpg

gallery_41537_5153_77979.jpg

That night, we were beat. My sister and I are Korean food freaks and found some little spot under an overpass near Ginza. It was very different than what I am used to in the states. We had to order our panchan separately and the meat portions were very tiny. Still a nice experience to see the Japanese version of Korean BBQ.

Last night we went to Nobu for a business obligation. I would not have chosen the spot normally, but the people had organized a tasting. It was not that great since they chose some pretty safe dishes. I bet we would have eaten better if we had ordered ourselves. Gorgeous decor.

Lunch yesterday was the tonkatsu spot in Tokyo station that a chef friend recommended. There was this minced pork cake in my dish that was insane! The great thing about Tokyo is you will pretty much find good food wherever you are. All hail the food floor!

Sorry to be short, but we are heading to Hong Kong today in a little while for 4 days and then back to the states. I will try to post some more of my photos with commentary when I am back. In the mean time, you can check out my entire food album from Tokyo HERE.

I'll post a link to my HK thread in here once I start it.

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...

Just a follow-up to one my first posts about the restaurant from Okinawa. Someone sent me the follwing (just in case you want to visit):

"The name of this restaurant is "Tsuchi no Mi" meaning "Fruit of the Earth" and is written 土の実.

Here is the website:

www.diamond-dining.com/shop_info/tsuchinomi/top.htm"

Thanks for the follow-up.

As for the noodle shop in post #16, I think I can identify the shop if you post a photo of the interior or exterior of it or a photo of the entire menu.

As for the noodle dishes in post #31, the first one is probably cha soba (buckwheat noodles with tea powder in them) with nishin (=herring), and the second one is tempura udon.

Great pix! Thanks so much for sharing. I'm envying you because we're planning a mid-November trip to Japan, more for reconnaissance as not knowing how to speak Japanese, we thought of following a tour group first, though that's the least favourite way of travelling for us. Eldest daughter has a mere 6 months Japanese language class under her belt. Places we'll be whizzed to are Osaka, Nara, Kyoto,Toyohashi, Hamamatsu, Lake Kawaguchi, Tokyo, Disneyland.

Gorgeous gorgeous food pix!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Helen, if you're talking to me....and my apologies to the OP for swinging the thread off-tangent,

It's pretty frustrating...looking at our schedule, it looks packed tight, but we'll be touching down in Osaka and leaving via Narita.

How do restaurants, big and small, feel about snap-happy tourists?

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

As for the noodle shop in post #16, I think I can identify the shop if you post a photo of the interior or exterior of it or a photo of the entire menu.

As for the noodle dishes in post #31, the first one is probably cha soba (buckwheat noodles with tea powder in them) with nishin (=herring), and the second one is tempura udon.

#31 was with the herring--a local specialty according to our waitress.

Here are some more photos from #16.

gallery_41537_5153_11621.jpg

gallery_41537_5153_49670.jpg

That tempura udon looks good! I was trying to figure out why it looked so good, then I realized it was because the soup was not as dark as it is in Tokyo (lighter-coloured soy sauce)!

I've never seen that herring soba made with green-tea soba before - this could be worth trying...

Tepee, have a great trip! I live about a 30 minute train trip from Disneyland, but have never been there...

#31 was with the herring--a local specialty according to our waitress.

Here are some more photos from #16.

gallery_41537_5153_11621.jpg

gallery_41537_5153_49670.jpg

Thank you for posting the photos here, but I have already looked at them in your album, and I can't still identify the soba shop. :sad:

Oops. Sorry! I guess we shall never know...it was a very famous and old restaurant.

Someone on my website commented that it looked like Yabu in Kanda near Akihabara.

I thought I might share my pictures, most of which are food, from Japan this summer.

They are at the following link:

http://gallery.mac.com/walevitt#100037&bgcolor=blackhttp://gallery.mac.com/walevitt#100037&bgcolor=black

Just so you know:

Page 1 of the pictures contains:

sushi at a department store (Tokyo), Takashimaya Department Store (Tokyo), an okonmiyaki restaurant (Tokyo), Roppongi Anakaya Restaurant (Tokyo), San Pau Restaurant (Tokyo, but sister of the Spanish Restaurant), a cooking class we did, and the Tsukiji Fish Market, tuna action (Tokyo)

Page 2 of the picture contains:

A sushi bar at the Tsukiji Market (amazing!!!!!)(Tokyo), then we traveled to Takayama, a soba restaurant (Takayama), dinner at Yuzuya Ryokan (we saw Dennis Hastert there! amazing food)(Kyoto), a 300 year old tofu restaurant (Kyoto)

Page 3 of the pictures contains:

Okonmyaki (Kyoto), dinner at a ryokan (Magome), noodles at a restaurant (Magome), amazing dinner at a ryokan (Tsumago), dinner at a Korean BBQ restaurant (Tokyo), lunch at a conveyor belt sushi restaurant (Tokyo), lunch at a do-it-yourself (as is usual in Japan) Okonomyaki restaurant (Tokyo).

These are most of my pictures from there, though because I had around 1300 of them I could not post all the food ones, but I got the best in!

Hope you enjoy!