• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PDX For 1 Night

I may sound like a broken record, but go to clarklewis (503-235-2294, 1001 SE Water). It's a nice walk across the river (only a few hundred yards from the East Bank Esplanade...you can take any of several bridges and get a nice before or after dinner stroll), and the food is really, really good.

Jim

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

Sounds like you like upscale. I'd try Hurley's, Wildwood, or Paley's, in that order. You'll probably want to go ahead and take the streetcar from downtown to NW, otherwise it'll be about 20 or more blocks of walking, some uphill. They're only a short walk from the streetcar.

Otherwise, in the immediate area, I'd recommend The Heathman or maybe Pazzo, if you like Italian, though I still haven't been there since they changed chefs.

There are also good less-fancy places if you're interested, although Portland doesn't have anywhere like The Herb Farm when it comes to schmancy.

Thanks Jim and MSG.

I think we'll be staying at either the Vintage Court or Heathman...so I'll take a look and see where your suggestions line-up location-wise. I haven't been to PDX in about 10 years and need to re-acquaint myself.

MSG...not necessarily fancy-schmancy but I mentioned Mistral and Herbfarm as styles of cooking/presentation I really love. Small portion tasting menus are my favorite.

For this brief run down from SEA I'm thinking the Heathman/hotel and restaurant might fit the bill.

A little O.T. but is the art museum close by?

The Portland Art Museum (which BTW is having a wonderful exhibit of the Rau collection through August...not to be missed...I loved it) Is 3 maybe 4 blocks away from the Heatman.

The Heathman is on the corner of Broadway & Salmon, and if you take Salmon west (Salmon is a one way street, so going west will be going in the opposite direction of traffic) til the end of that block you'll see parks..lot's of them..that's the South Park Blocks... both streets that run on either side of said park are called Park... just turn left and go uphill and on your right you'll see it after about 2 blocks... you can't miss it

I hope that wasn't too confusing... it'll make sense when you see it, I promise.

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

It's midnight, I have insomnia and an mildly confused. That said, psychobombshellgirl...I did manage to follow your directions. Yes, indeed we are going to the Rau exhibit first and then to dinner.

I think we'll stick to places easy to find and close to each other. THis is a quickie trip...don't want to waste time getting lost (it happens0

It's midnight, I have insomnia and an mildly confused. That said, psychobombshellgirl...I did manage to follow your directions. Yes, indeed we are going to the Rau exhibit first and then to dinner.

I think we'll stick to places easy to find and close to each other. THis is a quickie trip...don't want to waste time getting lost (it happens0

Been ther, done it.... in phoenix..had a 4 hour layover and decided to explore a bit.. got lost and missed my flight..luckily my airline was very understanding...I will never do that again lol

Now fortified with extra Riboflavins!

For future reference, Hurley's has the most luxurious food in Portland and does small plates only. You order everything ala carte, unfortunately. We don't have many tasting menus, which is a real shame, imo. I imagine people in Portland just aren't willing to pay for that sort of thing. Instead, in much of Portland you have to look to the list of appetizers to see where the chef is trying to be creative, usually.

I know what you mean about the lack of tasting menus in various cities.

Frequently we put our own together by ordering/sharing a succession of appetizers. Yes, frequently I see the most creativity among the appetizers rather than main courses which often look lackluster and just too big.

Thanks MSG. I'll definitely keep Hurley's in mind...but for next week we're cramming a lot into our quick trip and I'd really like to make dinner a leisurely walk from the Heathman.

I'd really suggest just going downstairs to The Heathman, then. btw, if you haven't made your reservations, I actually prefer the Vintage to Heathman. It has more character, imo. I'm not sure about the price difference. They're both comparable, though, and within walking distance to each other. The Vintage has Pazzo in it.

Many years ago, I found myself in Portland overnight, after a month of heavy travel. I wandered into the Heathman (solo), and was treated like royalty. I ordered three appetizers, and they happily accomodated me, suggesting an excellent wine (don't remember what at this point), and allowing me a relaxing, delicious luxurious evening. It was lovely.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I love Portland! This is does not fit the upscale criterion at all, but the cuban restaurant Canita on Burnside is tons of fun. Maybe a pre- or post-dinner drink? And don't forget, Powell's Books is open until 11 p.m.! (Although unfortunately most of their cookbooks are not at the downtown location).