• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nespresso

cdh

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2011 at 1:51 PM, runwestierun said:

The espresso does have a beautiful crema, and with the tasty capsule varieties and the perfect froth, I am very happy with this machine. I got mine at Sur la Table.

http://www.surlatable.com/category/cat450560/Nespresso

Right now there's a 25% off sale at Sur La Table.  Just follow the above link for details.

... Shel

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:18 AM, DrinksRUs said:

I actually haven't tried Nespresso Pixie before, but I saw it and I find it a little too costly for my taste. It's good that you find it fitting for your lifestyle, but I guess I'm just used to making more than a single serving of coffee at a time. But it's nice to hear someone's opinion on products like this. Really validates its quality and whether or not it's worth the price.

For me, the idea of the Nespresso has taken a long time to catch on, and I'm still not 100% sure that I want another appliance in my small kitchen.  The Pixie is interesting because of its size, and I can find a couple of places for it to fit comfortably and still be convenient.

That said, I've been a French press user for about forty years, and I don't expect to change that ... I love making a pot of French press in the morning.  However, when guests are here, it would be so very convenient to offer a quick cup or two, especially with a choice of beans.  I don't have many friends that I invite to dinner or to hang out, but I know them all very well, and I know that the Nespresso coffee will be acceptable to them.  In fact, one couple introduced me to the system several months ago.  Whenever we visit them, they often offer some coffee, and Bada Bing! it's ready in a jiffy and it's certainly more than acceptable.  To put that in perspective, these folks are very fussy about their coffee and the equipment they use.  Plus, my companion and lady friend enjoys a small cup of coffee every now and then, and the size made by the Nespresso is just perfect for her.  And when she's happy, I'm happy.

And when I'm at home in the afternoon, I sometimes want some coffee, and the Nespresso will give me that quickly and easily.  Perfect for that momentary need.  Brewing coffee from scratch, like I do in the morning, is not what I'd like to do in the afternoon.

For me, while the price is not a primary concern, I do take my time and look for the best price and service.  I'm in no rush ...

Also, one of my biggest concerns has been the wastefulness of using what are, essentially, disposable pods.  However, our community has an excellent recycling programr, and Nespresso has a recycling program (I think I posted links earlier in this discussion) so, for me, the waste issue has been mitigated.

Time passes:  For those who are interested but can't find the links, I found them and here they are:

[...] one of the things that interested me was the recycling program for the aluminum pods.  Here's one link and here's anotherThere's yet another link that I could not find again, but it describes how the used pods can be collected in a provided bag or box and sent back to be recycled at no charge to the consumer.  OK, found it ... here's that third link

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 1

... Shel

On 1 September 2016 at 1:13 PM, Shel_B said:

For me, the idea of the Nespresso has taken a long time to catch on, and I'm still not 100% sure that I want another appliance in my small kitchen.  The Pixie is interesting because of its size, and I can find a couple of places for it to fit comfortably and still be convenient.

I would buy one in a breath. I am a fairly long time user of Nespresso coffee system and although mine has detachable milk frother it's the coffee head that matters. I find it's worth every penny and per cup is cheaper than losing time in coffee production. Personally I'm pretty picky about coffee, but for home use it's untouchable for me. I hope this encourages you to buy one. Well worth the counter space. Mark

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:16 AM, Doofa said:

I would buy one in a breath. I am a fairly long time user of Nespresso coffee system and although mine has detachable milk frother it's the coffee head that matters. I find it's worth every penny and per cup is cheaper than losing time in coffee production. Personally I'm pretty picky about coffee, but for home use it's untouchable for me. I hope this encourages you to buy one. Well worth the counter space. Mark

Your comments are encouraging.  Thanks.  I would say that I'm about 90% decided to get one.  The biggest drawback is finding the space.  Meanwhile, I'm looking for a good deal.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

In my view, actually there are two parts....peopel who don't have much time for doing the coffee making in traditional way are going to love Nespresso whereas, people who are doing traditional from long time won't be able to switch to Nespresso. 

Driving an automatic car and a manual one has some difference. Automatic is easier to drive but manual is totally different.

• Like 1

I love my Nespresso machine. Push a button, get a decent shot of espresso. Now. It's small, fast, and of higher quality than a $110 espresso machine has any right to be. The espresso itself is better than Starbucks but not as good as you'll find in many specialty coffee houses. Which is just fine by me. I love it, love it, love it!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, friedcoffee said:

In my view, actually there are two parts....peopel who don't have much time for doing the coffee making in traditional way are going to love Nespresso whereas, people who are doing traditional from long time won't be able to switch to Nespresso. 

Driving an automatic car and a manual one has some difference. Automatic is easier to drive but manual is totally different.

I think that's a good analogy. I had a similar argument with my hubby - he is the coffee snob, I want something passable for the day or two a week I make a coffee. Apparently I compromised to an HG-1!

http://lynweber.com/product/hg-1/

(in fairness it is a lovely grinder and makes a decent coffee and the feel of the thing when you use it is tremendous, but I am debating fighting a rear guard action for Nespresso when I just can't even and need coffee....)

• 8 months later...

I took the plunge.  Bought the Inissia a couple of weeks ago - actually, sweetie got it for me for my birthday which is coming up in a few weeks.  I used camelcamelcamel to find a good deal on Amazon ($81.00), and when the price dropped to below what I wanted to pay, sweetie purchased the machine.

A number of people here and elsewhere complain that the Nespresso coffee is only fair, some say poor. But perhaps they are comparing it to coffee made on very fancy, expensive machines costing hundreds of dollars, or coffee made in various cafés by professional baristas. My most common points of comparison are the coffee I make at home, get at Peet's, or at a couple of local cafés, and the Inissia brew comes close to some of those places, and is better than a few.  I'm quite satisfied, and more so considering what we paid for the machine.  I suppose a lot has to do with personal preference and what one has become accustomed to over the years.  And when the convenience is factored into the equation, it's hard to beat. 

Allow me to address the capsules and the price.  I looked at less expensive alternative brands that produce "compatible" capsules, and thus far, even without tasting them, I prefer the Nespresso. I like the recyclable aluminum capsules and the recycling program. That's important to me. Other brands I've looked at use plastic capsules - yech! And many reviews complain that the "compatible" capsules don't work well, or at all. Also, the variety of coffee Nespresso offers is great ... so many choices. I counted more than 25 choices for the OriginaLine machines, which is the line that the Inissia is part of.  At times special blends are offered which look very interesting and worth trying.

After trying the machine and tasting some of the samples that came with it, I decided to order a supply of about 70 capsules.  The order arrived quickly - I ordered at 10:00am on a Tuesday and it arrived at my door at 2:00pm the following day.. The customer service woman at Nespresso who helped me was great - I ordered by phone rather than on line.  She was friendly, accommodating, and very pleasant to deal with. The experience was among the best I've had speaking with a customer service rep. Anyway, here's what I got: Arpeggio, Kazaar, Dharkan, Arpeggio Decaf, Envivo Lungo.

When I first logged on to the site to get familiar with what was offered and how things worked, Nespresso was offering a special of $20.00 off.  When I logged back on to place the order, I could not find the offer, so I called customer service.  The representative told me that the offer had expired a couple of days before, but she gave it to me anyway.  Very nice!

When the order arrived, an offer for a free sleeve of Indriya was included for my next purchase as well as free shipping with my next order. Also included were discounts for some accessories. And a couple of recycling bags already labeled and ready to go.  As noted above, being able to recycle the pods was an important consideration for me.

The Nespresso web site seems to be very complete.  Apart from being able to order products, there is information, including videos, on how to use, maintain, and troubleshoot the machines.  In addition, each coffee is described as to taste and flavor profile, intensity, and the makeup and origins of beans used. Here's an example of a typical description: 

https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/order/capsules/original/cafecito-de-cuba-limited-edition-coffee

Noted on the site was the fact that customer service reps are available 24/7 to take orders, answer questions, and help solve problems.  Should there be a problem with the machine that can't be solved over the phone, Nespresso offers their Care Program where they'll service your machine and provide a loaner while your machine is being cared for:  https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/machine-assistance

Finally, Nespresso has stores and "boutiques" around the country where you can purchase products or recycle used capsules, should you choose that route. There are four stores that are easily accessible to me, although I realize that's probably not the case elsewhere.  There are several ways to recycle the capsules, including using a postage paid envelope that can be dropped off at any UPS outlet, which is what I'll probably do.  https://www.nespresso.com/us/en/services#services-recycling

Space is at a premium in my small kitchen, so the small size of the Inissia (and the Nespresso Pixie) is very welcome.  Both my coffee grinder and the Nespresso fit in the space of slightly less than 10 inches.

Inissia.jpg.94f180342ff52af827b00c610886aa52.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with the machine, the coffee, and the completeness of Nespresso's program.  All businesses should operate with such thoroughness and professionalism.

Edited by Shel_B (log)
  • Like 6

... Shel

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things to consider when it comes to getting a satisfactory cup of coffee. The first is the great variety of coffee styles and intensities. Should you not like a particular blend, it's quite possible that one of the more than 25 other blends will be satisfactory. Another factor to consider is that the brew can be customized by programming the machine to deliver a cup size that's more or less than the factory settings to better suit your preference.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kc0dTJYA6z0?autoplay=0&rel=0

... Shel