• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

black and tan

mongo_jones

Black and Tan is orginally Guiness and Porter.

Since true Porter is hard to obtain people use Guiness and MILD, or Guiness and Bass Pale Ale or Guiness and bitter. Porter and mild are quite sweet, not gassy beers, which is important for the taste.

Some layer the Guiness by pouring it carefully over a spoon or down the side of the glass over the mild beer.

Guiness and Harp is a "Half and half"

Edited by jackal10 (log)

i meant, a specific stout and a specific ale/lager. some claim it can only be a black and tan if the black comes from guiness.

what's the guiness and champagne thing called again? those are great!

And don't forget the Guiness & Hard Cider! Poor Man's Black Velvet...

• 5 months later...
Black and Tan  is orginally Guiness and Porter.

Um, wouldn't that be a Black and Very Dark Brown? :wink:

I'll defer to the English bartender, though I've always heard either Guinness and Bass (mmmm, nationalist rivalry in a pint glass) or Guinness and Harp (though mixing ale and lager offends my zymurgian sensibilities). I've even once had Guinness and Sierra Nevada Pale ale served as a Black and Tan, but I wouldn't recommend it!

"I would kill everyone in this forum for a drop of sweet beer." - Homer Simpson (adapted)

Okay, I'm a former pub waitress and here's the scoop.

Black and tan, usually Guinness AND either Smithwick's or Bass, depending on availability, and customer preference.

A Snakebite is lager, such as Harp, with cider. Strongbow and Black Sheep are 2 excellent imports.

Half and Half has to be a stout and a lager, for example Guinness and Harp. The Stout floats on the lager.

Finally, Black Velvet... Originally Stout floating on Champagne, but now usually Stout and Cider.

All of these should be poured properly (the stout over a spoon) and you should see the line between the two in the glass.

A Snakebite is lager, such as Harp, with cider. Strongbow and Black Sheep are 2 excellent imports.

This was a quite popular drink among my friends when I was in London for school many years ago, but I never knew what went into it. So, thanks for posting it. There was something else that we drank which had black currant juice (I think) in it (and maybe some sort of beer or cider). Any chance you know that one?

This was a quite popular drink among my friends when I was in London for school many years ago, but I never knew what went into it. So, thanks for posting it. There was something else that we drank which had black currant juice (I think) in it (and maybe some sort of beer or cider). Any chance you know that one?

I have had a few different variations on the snakebite while working in London, the most memorable being cider, lager, blackcurrant, and a shot of pernod. A couple of those at lunchtime worked a charm!

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

I have had a few different variations on the snakebite while working in London, the most memorable being  cider, lager, blackcurrant, and a shot of pernod.  A couple of those at lunchtime worked a charm!

Ah -- I think that is what I was actually remembering. I did pick up a bottle of black currant juice on the offchance I ever found out what was in these. Does anyone know the proportions? Is it equal parts the first three?

NO!! The blackcurrant we use in pubs is called ribena, it's a concentrate much like rose's lime or grenadine. It only takes an ounce or so! Otherwise, the choice of proportions is yours, I've frequently asked for a snakebite, 3/4 Cider and 1/4 beer. Not uncommon.

Just found a ribena thread: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=38629

Edited by Chrisser (log)