• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Bars

sara

There's an Oyster Festival in Leonardtown, MD on the St. Mary's County Fairgrounds on Rt. 5.  It's a big deal down there, because the winner of the oyster shucking contest goes on to compete in Ireland (?).

It's true, they go to Ireland for the world championship. I went two years ago for the first time after college (went to St. Mary's College of Md, near there). After they complete each shucking round, they bring the trays of oysters to the waiting mob of oyster lovers crammed against the fence in front of the grandstand. Free oysters! If you don't want to fight for your oysters, you can also buy them raw, scalded or fried as well as a dizzying array of other fried seafood products. It takes place in October--maybe we can get an eGullet contingent down there. I'll start a thread when the time comes.

I'm also a fan of Old Ebbitt HH. DIY is a good way to go too if you're careful.

-Jason

• 5 months later...
I've had decent oysters at Seacatch in Georgetown (perhaps the only decent thing I've had there).  They have several varities, and the last time I was there, the ones from Maine were strong and delicious.  Besides the oysters, the bulbous crackers (served warm) are incredible.

It's been a few weeks since I've been there, and since it's approaching a month without an "r", I'd be hesitant to get any oysters from the Bay.

On an aside, for incredible fried oysters, I head to the aqua hut at the fish market.  With a fat slice of the caramel cake, and plenty of vinegar, I'm totally happy.

I found the following good news in October issue of On Tap (which I might usually use as my place mat when I eat dinner in front of the television):

"Sea Catch Restaurant and Raw Bar celebrates the return of oyster season, providing an extensive array of oysters from around the country for a specially priced "Oysters and Such" happy hour. Every Monday through Friday, Sea Catch will showcase oysters for $1 each from 5-7 p.m. Oysters are always discounted at Sea Catch's bar. Reputed to possess aphrodisiac powers, fresh oysters will be available throughout the season from September through April. Six to eight oyster varietals will be offered daily. (1054 31st St., NW, 202-337-8855)"

I'll go give it a try pretty soon and let ya know...

Had some at Johnny's this afternoon. Shucked horribly but tasted damn good.

Wouldn't go back though considering they only had two varieties and no specials.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Stopped by Old Ebbitt last Thursday and I am pleased to report the oysters still excel. At $9 something for a dozen they would be a better deal than Sea Catch which (I think I can do this math) would be $12/dozen. They had a decent variety (6 or 7 differenct species) and the recommended wine -- a Sauvignon Blanc from N.Z. is around $8/glass. Advantage of Sea Catch is that its Happy Hour lasts til 7 pm vice 6 for Old Ebbitt.

Edited by FunJohnny (log)

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

Stopped by Old Ebbitt last Thursday and I am pleased to report the oysters still excel.  At $9 something for a dozen they would be a better deal than Sea Catch which (I think I can do this math) would be $12/dozen.  They had a decent variety (6 or 7 differenct species) and the recommended wine -- a Sauvignon Blanc from N.Z. is around $8/glass.  Advantage of Sea Catch is that its Happy Hour lasts til 7 pm vice 6 for Old Ebbitt.

Also, Old Ebbitt oysters go 50% off after midnight, which makes it a prime destination for weary restau workers lookin' for that lovin' feelin'.

Resident Twizzlebum

Stopped by the Ebbitt for the first time in a few months over the weekend.

I am happy to report they have made a nice addition: chilled lobster. Looks like $20 for a whole lobster, which would be $10 during happy hour. And they've also added a new platter: The Orca Platter, which boats a whole lobster, a dozen jonah crab claws, a dozen oysters, a dozen clams, and a dozen shrimp. $84.95. During happy hour, that's like ~$42.50!! What other item in this city can you buy during happy hour and get a $42 discount? Amazing.

What is a jonah crab?

Well, they look like this:104.jpg

Not really my favorite kind of crab, trailing behind the snow and miles behind Alaskan king, but crab is crab and I'll still suck it down like coca-cola.

I think they're similar to dungeness crabs.

Well, they look like this:104.jpg

Not really my favorite kind of crab, trailing behind the snow and miles behind Alaskan king, but crab is crab and I'll still suck it down like coca-cola.

I think they're similar to dungeness crabs.

Cancer borealis. These are similar to rock crabs or golden crabs. It is an east coast crab typically harvested in deeper waters.

Cancer borealis.  These are similar to rock crabs or golden crabs.  It is an east coast crab typically harvested in deeper waters.

Ummm - 'scuze me, but ain't that a Stone Crab claw like the ones at Joe's Stone Crab in Miami???

Lookee Here

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Ummm - 'scuze me, but ain't that a Stone Crab claw like the ones at Joe's Stone Crab in Miami???

Nope. Very typical crab claw for the "armored" crabs -- stone, jonah, red, golden are all types. Stone crabs, Menippe mercenaria, tend to be in warmer water and closer to shore (why they are so common in Florida). Jonah crabs are harvested all along the east coast and run from about Nova Scotia through Florida. While both have heavy claws, they belong to different taxonomic families. A previous poster mentioned Dungeness crabs which are the same family as jonah crabs. Crabs in the canceridae family possess serated teeth in the back of their mouth. Stone crabs, family xanthidae, are distinguished by characteristics of their carapace. Also, most of the crabs that have toxins are xanthids.

Old Ebbitt does indeed have a great raw bar, and it's half price during happy hour  :smile:

The Old Ebbitt happy hour deal is a great bet. I've been slurping their oysters for over 10 years and they have always been top-notch fresh fresh fresh. I went there last Friday with a friend & think I may just leave work early one day this week to smash out a Walrus Platter and some appropriate drink(s)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Whenever someone asks me if I want water with my Scotch, I say, 'I'm thirsty, not dirty' ". Joe E. Lewis