• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Bars

sara

Just returned from LA and am having some serious oyster cravings. I'd like to get a list going of the best oyster bars in town--especially those with happy hour specials or other good deals, and a wide selection. I'm thinking along the lines of this place in Santa Monica which offered a selection of 6 plus a flight of wines for $8.95 during hh. Anywhere in the area, including Bethesda, is fine.

So, besides Johnny's (which doesn't have a discount during hh I think), what else is good? I'm especially hoping to find some Stellar Bays. (Tho I do realize we're approaching the end of the good season.)

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I went to both Johnny's and Kinkead's last night (yeah, I know, I need to slow down). The friendly bartender at Johnny's gave me 7 for the price of 6 (2 different varieties), and they were quite good. Kink Head's had a better selection (6 different varieities, 2 of which were from British Columbia but I don't recall them being Stellar Bays), and better-quality oysters. Fiendishly expensive, they were something on the order of $2.00-$2.40 per oyster.

And nothing, anywhere, is better than their fried Ipswich clams!

Cheers,

Rocks.

P.S. Both Kinkead's and Johnny's served their red wines by the glass at something bordering 80 degrees. Grrrrrr.......

And nothing, anywhere, is better than their fried Ipswich clams!

I'd heard that about their clams, but when I went in August they weren't great--overbattered, totally greasy, nothing like I get in Maine every year. The memory of that, plus the rest of the terrible meal Mazman and I suffered through on his 40th birthday, keeps me from going back to Kinkead's...

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Any idea of the days/hours of the happy hour at Old Ebbitt? It's not on their website.

Anyone tried Oceanaire--do they have a happy hour? Georgetown Seafood had a good one, but they closed.

-- William Grimes

If they haven't changed the hours, Old Ebbit is M-Th, and I think 3-7. I emailed them last week about it an haven't heard back.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Old Ebbitt does indeed have a great raw bar, and it's half price during happy hour :smile:

Wow! How did I not know about this? :blink:

Wearing jeans to the best restaurants in town.

Yes, it is Monday Through Thursday. I'm not sure if it's 3 to 7 or 3 to 6, though. It's also from 11 pm till close, which is the only time I've ever done it. Well worth it. Their #4 Walrus platter, normally $50, is only $25! You get 12 oysters of your choice, 12 clams, and 10 colossal shrimp. Their oyster selection is always rotating, too.

Edited by The Doctor (log)

I've had decent oysters at Seacatch in Georgetown (perhaps the only decent thing I've had there). They have several varities, and the last time I was there, the ones from Maine were strong and delicious. Besides the oysters, the bulbous crackers (served warm) are incredible.

It's been a few weeks since I've been there, and since it's approaching a month without an "r", I'd be hesitant to get any oysters from the Bay.

On an aside, for incredible fried oysters, I head to the aqua hut at the fish market. With a fat slice of the caramel cake, and plenty of vinegar, I'm totally happy.

I just had the fried oyster po' boy at Bread Line the other day for the first time. One of the tastiest sandwiches I've ever had. It was well worth the $9.

And speaking of oysters, what's with this new trend of topping them with liquor slushies? Was at DC Coast a while back, where they serve them with a pickled ginger-vodka ice. Then last month I was at the Voodoo Lounge in Vegas, and they offered them topped with a frozen bloody mary concoction. Tasty, though.

And speaking of oysters, what's with this new trend of topping them with liquor slushies? Was at DC Coast a while back, where they serve them with a pickled ginger-vodka ice. Then last month I was at the Voodoo Lounge in Vegas, and they offered them topped with a frozen bloody mary concoction. Tasty, though.

I had something similar at Django in Philly, emerald coves topped with a pernod gelee. This was a mistake-it totally overpowered the oyster. I'm a purist tho, I want my oysters to taste like oysters--nothing else.

Regarding the R months thing- that's more about quality and taste than safety. Oysters breed during the summer, and that's why they taste different during those months. I don't think, this is my understanding anyways, that you're at any greater risk of getting ill from them during non-R months. Anyone who eats raw shellfish alot should simply get a Hep A vaccine tho; Hep A feels like mono, and that sucks.

-- William Grimes

Although I don't really care for anything else there, McCormick & Schmicks always has a variety of fresh oysters.

True--we just had some nice ones at their San Diego branch.

Here in Philly M&S does a $1.95 happy hour--not on oysters I think, but tons of appetizers at that price. Do they do that at the DC location--anyone know?

-- William Grimes

Although I don't really care for anything else there, McCormick & Schmicks always has a variety of fresh oysters.

True--we just had some nice ones at their San Diego branch.

Here in Philly M&S does a $1.95 happy hour--not on oysters I think, but tons of appetizers at that price. Do they do that at the DC location--anyone know?

M&S's has oyster shooters on the HH menu - $1.95 per shooter.

Regarding the R months thing- that's more about quality and taste than safety. Oysters breed during the summer, and that's why they taste different during those months. I don't think, this is my understanding anyways, that you're at any greater risk of getting ill from them during non-R months. Anyone who eats raw shellfish alot should simply get a Hep A vaccine tho; Hep A feels like mono, and that sucks.

Sara:

Actually I'm not sure that's true. I think it depends where the oysters are from. For instance the water in the Gulf of Mexico gets pretty darned warm during the "non-R" months and at certain temperatures is basically a giant seething cauldron of bacteria. icon8.gif

Perhaps a knowlegeable chef or food safety expert could chime in here?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Reading this thread has become toture. I am craving oysters. Somebody run over to Old Ebbitt and get the happy hour details!

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

Old ebbitt is where I always go for the great selection of oysters at the peak of freshness. Plus the atmosphere is the best. All of the newer places just haven't seen the things that the Ebbitt has seen. I love the old bar and Teddy Roosevelt's moose head. Anyway, if you're having a craving in the burbs, I'd stick to McCormick and Schmicks they have a good selection and also have a happy hour in the bar area. Legal Seafood has an oyster festival in June but I can't imagine why in June? There is also an oyster festival on the Eastern shore in Md. can't quite remember where and when...a trip to google might jog my memory.

I think it is in Chestertown. But not sure.

Gotta run.

There is also an oyster festival on the Eastern shore in Md. can't quite remember where and when...a trip to google might jog my memory.

I think it is in Chestertown.  But not sure. 

Gotta run.

There's an Oyster Festival in Leonardtown, MD on the St. Mary's County Fairgrounds on Rt. 5. It's a big deal down there, because the winner of the oyster shucking contest goes on to compete in Ireland (?).

Last night, LiamDC, Mazman, and I went to Oceanaire to checkout their oyster happy hour. I ordered rather lightly, having had a very filling, very good lunch at BDC (pate, mussels in cream sauce, duck confit, cherry clafoutis--YUM!).

The oysters and shrimp are 1/2 price from 3-6 pm weekdays. That said, the prices are high. We had a dozen Hama Hamas, 1/2 dozen Beau Soleil, and 1/2 dozen Blue Points, along with one shrimp cocktail (5 big shrimp). At half-price, that all came to about $30. Ok, maybe that's not so bad. But what ran the tab up were the wines by the glass ( I know, not surprising, but still). I had two glasses of riesling, which ran me $12 each!! I had ordered off the chalkboard, which didn't have prices on it, and was honestly stunned when I saw the check. Liam says "Oh well, DC prices." I dunno, we don't have $12 glasses of wine in Philly that I know of... Anyways, good, fresh oysters and nice shrimp, but happy hour ran us over $80 for three people. Just FYI.

-- William Grimes

Last night, LiamDC, Mazman, and I went to Oceanaire to checkout their oyster happy hour. I ordered rather lightly, having had a very filling, very good lunch at BDC (pate, mussels in cream sauce, duck confit, cherry clafoutis--YUM!).

The oysters and shrimp are 1/2 price from 3-6 pm weekdays. That said, the prices are high. We had a dozen Hama Hamas, 1/2 dozen Beau Soleil, and 1/2 dozen Blue Points, along with one shrimp cocktail (5 big shrimp). At half-price, that all came to about $30. Ok, maybe that's not so bad. But what ran the tab up were the wines by the glass ( I know, not surprising, but still). I had two glasses of riesling, which ran me $12 each!! I had ordered off the chalkboard, which didn't have prices on it, and was honestly stunned when I saw the check. Liam says "Oh well, DC prices." I dunno, we don't have $12 glasses of wine in Philly that I know of... Anyways, good, fresh oysters and nice shrimp, but happy hour ran us over $80 for three people. Just FYI.

Oceanaire has several wines by the glass and the prices are printed on their menus. I usually go for the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, which they have on tap. I think their crab cake appetizer also is half price.