• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Luger Steakhouse (2001-2003)

Rosie

Also, Thank you to Steven a/k/a Fat-Guy, for his comprehensive review of steak cuts.  It was invaluable!

Where did you find Fat Guy's Guide to Meat? Was it on the original fat-guy.com site or on eGullet?

It's on this board in the "Best Steak in Manhattan" thread a few slots down from this thread. Here's the link:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?act=ST...ST&f=4&t=18281&

Great review, Trish!

I've been waiting to hear how it went. I especially liked your overall summation. I am positive that even in the world's greatest restaurants, so long as they are staffed with fallible human beings, and serve food that has been grown via nature's sometimes uneven methods, there will be high spots and low spots.

But your overall and unbiased conclusion that this is a really good restaurant and that your steak was absolutely fabulous is remarkably enjoyable.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Ive been in the restaurant biz for over 15 years and what seems to amaze me more than anything is the hubris of some so-called critics whom after years of being overly critical to restaurants now have decided they have the right to criticize peoples opinions.

Just because you think or have heard lugars has the best meat, does that mean it is true. Or does all of the butter they pour on it hide the true flavor?

If they only picked the best meat, how would there be any lesser quality meat for mediums or wells.

Dont get me wrong I enjoy lugars but to dismiss these other restaurants so flippantly, is rude, esspecially when you dont know what you are talking about.

Just because you think or have heard lugars has the best meat, does that mean it is true. Or does all of the butter they pour on it hide the true flavor?

Yes. Wholesalers in the meat industry have told me that when they get a shipment of Prime short loins in, they call Lugar's and give them the first crack at them. Other people I know have been told the same thing by different wholesalers.

I have found it to be the case, that when one of my friends goes to Lugar;s and doesn't like it, or makes some outrageous claim like MarkJoseph is better then Lugar's, that on cross-examination, what I am able to educe is that they don't really know anything about steak. Of course that doesn't preclude there from being someone who honestly doesn't like the style of steak at Lugar's. But few people make that type of credible argument against it.

• 4 weeks later...

Luger's for lunch, a trip I've been threatening for sveral months, and my first visit there for maybe three years.

Steak for two, on the rare side of medium rare, with fries and creamed spinach was the order, and I didn't even have to move my lips to order it :laugh: But I did have to share the steak. The meat was just as perfect as I always remembered it to be, the fries were totally terrific, and the spinach (I hate spinach) was absolutely wonderful.

I'm not a frequent steak eater --- in the UK, you can't frequently eat steak if you know what a good steak tastes like :sad: --- and in any case I'm not a great "best of class" fan. But if there is a better steak out there it really must be something very special. The steak was perfectly cooked, with just enough fat to keep the meat moist, it was melt-in-the-mouth tender and just a wonderful flavor. This was certainly as good as any I've had.

The key lime pie I had for dessert was very good.

The atmosphere seemed a little low-key, but maybe that's what happens at lunchtime. Service was efficient and friendly, and we had to drag ourselves out at 4pm without even a polite hint from the servers.

I still have Sparks and whatsisname-the-basketball-player's place on my list, but I no longer expect them to be better than Luger's. If they can match it, they will have done a very good job.

• 1 month later...

"We started with the shrimp cocktail for $21.95. Six large shrimp arrived lying on lettuce leaves like white slugs that had keeled over and expired after their midday feast. What do people see in shrimp cocktail?"

At least Hodgson shows some honesty here that no matter what this dish would not satisfy.

Rice pie is nice.

What a stupid git. How the hell did he manage to order his steak that it came out overcooked? If it was anything but rare or medium rare, he should have his head handed to him.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 months later...

It's sheer lunacy to write a new review of Peter Lugars. What's left to say? (It's the best steak you've ever eaten. Order the porterhouse for N and the traditional accompaniments: tomato and onion salad, creamed spinach, roast potatoes. Order it as rare as you can convince the rest of the table to. Ignore the rest of the menu. The wine list is forgettable. They only take cash. Yadda yadda yadda.)

But the website is a hoot. Some of the gems:

"The Brooklyn location is the original Peter Luger Steakhouse. Since 1887, we have been serving the discerning steak conniseur." A connoisseur should know how to spell "connoisseur"; don't you think?

"The restaurant features a fully-stocked bar. Don't expect any microbrews or trendy drinks... this is a true classical gentleman's bar." Two fingers of three-cents plain is classic, right?

"Timeless wood furnishings fill out the natural ambience and charm of the Brooklyn Peter Luger Steakhouse." That's beautiful prose for what are actually beat-up, ancient dining-hall tables and sawdust on the floors. The meat comes on sizzling trays by waiters even more ancient than the tables.

Bruce

• 2 months later...

Stand by...

So, how was it?

Maybe he's still there.

:laugh: LOL ... I wish I was still there!

I discovered I like the German potatoes, provided I saturate them with the steak juices.

Their quality of their porterhouse is unprecedented. However, they simply can't cook it the way I ask, black and blue. The steak was simply rare. I prefer steak with more charring. It looked better charred at MediumRare. Maybe I'll try MR next time? Either way the steak is fantastic.

Every time I go, I'm faced with a dilemma:

What should I have for dinner, bacon or Steak?

So far, I've always opted for the steak - I can't make it at home.

Edited by steakas (log)

:D