• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peter Luger Steakhouse (2001-2003)

Rosie

Both Angelo & Maxies and the Strip House are crap -- their steaks are of an inferior quality and are not properly aged. Neither restaurant deserves mention in any discussion about the great steakhouses of the world.

As for Luger, well my young friend from Paris, you screwed up. Members of your party ordered the steak medium and the staff and PL doesn't like that. It has been my experience that the truly great steaks are reserved for those who order blue, black and blue, rare or memphis. You may also get a great steak if you order it medium rare (try to emphasize rare in comparison to medium there). But anything more -- you get the worst steak in the house (which, to be fair, is still better than most in NY) and the chefs will do their best to overcook it just for spite. I once went with a large party all of whom liked their steak between medium well and well done -- I stood up, apologized, and left. No sense in being a part of that massacre.

Is this fair? No. But surely, someone from Paris can appreciate the need to conform to local standards.

My advice -- if you don't like your meat bloody as hell, leave PL for the rest of us and stay in Manhattan.

um yeah, fat guy, my steak at strip house was ten times more satisfying than mine at PL, dont tell me how to taste

That just means you don't know a great steak from a not so great steak.

This Peter Luger elitism is driving me crazy. Yes, Peter Luger has a great steak. It is considered one, if not the best steak in New York. Yet, there isn't the smallest chance that, maybe, the steak at Strip House was better for this particular customer than Luger? I believe Fat Guy once said that MarkJoseph beat or was equal to Luger in 95% of his categories, except a small margin in flavor profile for Luger. That is not a wide margin of victory for the King in my eyes. I've been to a number of steak places in the last year, and a number have stood out. Luger's, MarkJoseph's, Strip House, even Michael Jordan's and Bryant & Copper on LI. Has any one of these (Luger in particular) been vastly superior to the other? No.

Ten times better than Luger? Maybe she was exaggerating for effect, but it could have been 1.5x better, no?

Both Angelo & Maxies and the Strip House are crap -- their steaks are of an inferior quality and are not properly aged.  Neither restaurant deserves mention in any discussion about the great steakhouses of the world.

As for Luger, well my young friend from Paris, you screwed up.  Members of your party ordered the steak medium and the staff and PL doesn't like that.  It has been my experience that the truly great steaks are reserved for those who order blue, black and blue, rare or memphis.  You may also get a great steak if you order it medium rare (try to emphasize rare in comparison to medium there).  But anything more -- you get the worst steak in the house (which, to be fair, is still better than most in NY) and the chefs will do their best to overcook it just for spite.  I once went with a large party all of whom liked their steak between medium well and well done -- I stood up, apologized, and left.  No sense in being a part of that massacre.

I think my browser has an error, because I can't see a single smiley in mogsob's post. Clearly, given that the whole post is intended to be ironic, it must have been written with at least 20 or so smilies. Unless, of course, mogsob meant all that nonsense, which surely can't be so :unsure:

As for Luger, well my young friend from Paris, you screwed up.  Members of your party ordered the steak medium and the staff and PL doesn't like that.  It has been my experience that the truly great steaks are reserved for those who order blue, black and blue, rare or memphis.  You may also get a great steak if you order it medium rare (try to emphasize rare in comparison to medium there).

Ok, I get black and blue, blue and rare - what's ordering your steak memphis?

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Indeed. It's not the first time I've heard this, and it's the main reason I haven't yet been. My partner dislikes rare red meat, and why would I take her somewhere the kitchen might feel inclined to insult her? I expect I'll give it a try one day, but that's why it's been several years without it coming to the top of the list.

but do we really think that the guys sweating over the stove/oven/whatever for 7 dollars an hour give a shit if some tosser wants their steak medium, and if they did do they really harbor that much resentment?

i like it when people order their steak rare, and then eat only the outside, leaving the cold raw part in the middle on the plate. does the kitchen get offended then as well?

i just realized why i've never bothered going to lugers. i don't think i like it's attitude, or its fans' attitudes. i'll stick with the palm and keens. they're nice folk.

Hold yer horses. I've been to Luger's a bazillion times. With plenty of people who get their steaks medium - even well done. I have never, ever experienced anything but pleasant service there - the guys are fun, respectful, playful, professional...and I have never had the sense that anybody's steak preferences were treated as anything but straightforward preference. I haven't sensed a waiter giving anybody an attitude about ordering a steak well done or mediium. I get mine rare or black and blue - and everybody gets whatever they hell they want - no problems. I love Luger's - I don't go there during peak weekend times - and I've never had anything but a great time, and never anything but a perfect steak - and my companions have felt the same, regardless of what they have ordered.

Hold yer horses.  I've been to Luger's a bazillion times.  With plenty of people who get their steaks medium - even well done.  I have never, ever experienced anything but pleasant service there - the guys are fun, respectful, playful, professional...and I have never had the sense that anybody's steak preferences were treated as anything but straightforward preference.  I haven't sensed a waiter giving anybody an attitude about ordering a steak well done or mediium.  I get mine rare or black and blue - and everybody gets whatever they hell they want - no problems.  I love Luger's - I don't go there during peak weekend times - and I've never had anything but a great time, and never anything but a perfect steak - and my companions have felt the same, regardless of what they have ordered.

I have to agree with Nina on this one. As much as it hurts me :biggrin . The waiter's have never been anything but nice to me and my friends. We even held a table for much longer than they would have liked but they were never rude. I'm not buying it. I once went with three vegetarians (it was my b-day,bless their hearts and stomachs) and while the waiters laughed they were never condescending about it. They were very gracious and accomodating. I dunno, they make a great steak to me , and I always order Medium or Medium Rare without issue.

I must add though two nights ago a friend said that she had a lousy piece of meat there. She grew up on a Heartland farm is more familiar with Beef than I. But who knows. They do a good job and I'd have no trouble recommending them or going back when the mood hits.

I'm pleased to hear their reputation is undeserved - but today's not the first time I've heard that they are not keen to cook steaks to order.

people often like to perpetuate those types of things to reinforce their delusion that they know the "correct" way to order steak. it's often part of some sort of game. but who can you believe at the end of the day?

Both Angelo & Maxies and the Strip House are crap -- their steaks are of an inferior quality and are not properly aged. .

I have to disagree - I've had a steak for Lunch at A&G's and it was way better than crap - it was between garbage and lousy which is better than crap anyway you look at it.

way better than crap - it was between garbage and lousy which is better than crap anyway you look at it.

All I can hope for is that when the time comes, I'm looking down, not up. :laugh:

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I'm pleased to hear their reputation is undeserved - but today's not the first time I've heard that they are not keen to cook steaks to order.

people often like to perpetuate those types of things to reinforce their delusion that they know the "correct" way to order steak. it's often part of some sort of game. but who can you believe at the end of the day?

Don't trust anybody, that's my motto. Order the way you like it. If it comes out wrong, send it back. If you like the way they char the steak at Sizzler, then more power to you. If a waiter at Luger gets gruff with you, slap him in the head with the steak, and ask for another one.

If a waiter at Luger gets gruff with you, slap him in the head with the steak, and ask for another one.

Oh no, please don't do that. Some of those Luger waiters are big guys, I mean BIG guys :shock::shock::shock:

So now you see how easily unsubstantiated rumors gain credence. Mogsob gives us a party throw-away line, and suddenly everyone thinks it's true. I've been to Luger's only three times, on a couple of those occasions people I was with ordered medium or well-done steaks, and they were delighted with what they got. On every occasion, the service was great --- idiosyncratic, friendly, helpful. What I hear on this site is mostly praise for Luger's from people who go often, and I think those people would know if there was a problem of arrogance by the staff. So until someone tells me they actually encountered this attitude, I'll continue to believe Luger's is among the best steak houses in the USA, not just for the quality of their steaks, but also for the overall dining experience.

OK, so only Macrosan got my little joke . . . that's ok, I'm not offended. :smile: And if anyone was offended by the lack of smilies . . . mea culpa.

And, just like Pittsburgh is another name for black & blue, memphis is a lesser known name for black and rare . . . or so I thought.

Both Angelo & Maxies and the Strip House are crap -- their steaks are of an inferior quality and are not properly aged.  Neither restaurant deserves mention in any discussion about the great steakhouses of the world.

As for Luger, well my young friend from Paris, you screwed up.  Members of your party ordered the steak medium and the staff and PL doesn't like that.  It has been my experience that the truly great steaks are reserved for those who order blue, black and blue, rare or memphis.  You may also get a great steak if you order it medium rare (try to emphasize rare in comparison to medium there).  But anything more -- you get the worst steak in the house (which, to be fair, is still better than most in NY) and the chefs will do their best to overcook it just for spite.  I once went with a large party all of whom liked their steak between medium well and well done -- I stood up, apologized, and left.  No sense in being a part of that massacre.

Is this fair?  No.  But surely, someone from Paris can appreciate the need to conform to local standards.

My advice -- if you don't like your meat bloody as hell, leave PL for the rest of us and stay in Manhattan.

First of all, MOGSOB, I am not French, jeunefilleparis, is merely a screen name, I live in NY and I am American. I have been eating steak my entire life.

The steak I had at PL was RARE and not medium SO MY OLD FRIEND, I , did not actually screw up.

. I have also had other cuts at Strip house and at A &M. I found the PL steak to be lacking flavor quite honestly. That was one dinner, I did not say that every single steak they make is horrible.

I do eat my meat bloody as hell, you should maybe get all the facts straight before you go on some stupid rampage

"Is there anything here that wasn't brutally slaughtered" Lisa Simpson at a BBQ

"I think that the veal might have died from lonliness"

Homer

I followed your thread about Peter Luger's and whether it was in decline. I went there with a group for the first time this past Saturday, and this is my review:

Service-We sat upstairs which is great for a party- more private. Our server, Damien, was courteous & had a nice sense of humor. He offered us menus & had no problem when one of our party ordered steak done medium. We weren't rushed.

App's-We had Lamb Chops & Bacon Strips. Chops were juicy & flavorful. I cut the bacon into pieces and passed them around, they had a nice smoky flavor but you could almost feel those arteries hardening. Onion rolls were good and the beer on tap was nice & cold.

Main Course-We ordered 3 porterhouses for 2, each cooked differently, & a cheeseburger. The burger & fries were cold, probably done first and sat waiting. The teen who ordered it didn't mind, ate the burger, and skipped the fries.

2 of the 3 steaks were excellent! Sizzling hot, nicely charred on the outside and juicy. A delicious, almost orgasmic delight for me. Loved it! Unfortunately, one steak (ordered rare) arrived gray and cold. Damien noticed it wasn't sizzling and volunteered to take it back and put it under the broiler for a few seconds. It returned hotter, but for some reason wasn't on par flavorwise with the other two. It was a perfectly decent steak, just clearly inferior to the others.

Sides-German Potatoes went well with the steak but nothing to shout yippy kai ay about. Creamed Spinach was Smmmmoooooooth!

Desserts-Hot Fudge Sundae (more chocolatey than fudgy) & Choc. Mousse Pie (menu says it's cake, it isn't) were good. Key Lime Pie was fresh, rich and had great tart lime flavor. Apple Strudel was hot, crispy and melted in your mouth.

Caveat--About the schlag. It tasted & reacted like 'cool whip.' It didn't taste like real whipped cream and it didn't melt on hot strudel.

Although not everything was perfect, and some things could be better, the truth is we had an incredibly good and FUN time here! I have never had a steak that matched Luger's porterhouse. I think New Yorkers are lucky to have this in their backyard.