• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Food

Episure

Indian cuisine's most popular herb Coriander/ Kothmir/Dhania/Cilantro can more than make a chatni of salmonella, a pathogen that can cause food poisoning.

The compound is dodecenal, found in the leaves and seeds. Lab researchers found that dodecenal was twice as powerful in killing salmonella as the commonly used antibiotic gentamicin.

The research also seems to back up previous studies showing that some spices can help prevent food spoilage.

The study's lead author, Isao Kubo, said the same compound also is found in olive oil, but in smaller amounts.

Cilantro is also a common ingredient in the popular Mexican salsa, itself the focus of various studies testing its supposed antibacterial properties, but this latest study is said to be the first to have isolated any of the antibacterial compounds from it.

The findings could lead to expanded use of dodecenal as a tasteless food additive to prevent foodborne illness, perhaps as a protective coating for meats in processing plants, or even as a general purpose disinfectant to be used in cleaning and hand washing, the researchers said.

The study appears in the 26 May issue of the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, a peer-reviewed publication of the American Chemical Society, the world's largest scientific society.

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

EU HOOI KHAW dines sumptuously under the gaze of the long gone kings of India, at the Maharaj in Petaling Jaya. The reporters name EU HOOI KHAW sounds like Bhojpuri/UP/Bhaiya for "this is good food". Didnt get it , think Amitabh Bachhan. :biggrin: Edited by Episure (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Bring on the Butter/Makhani chicken :unsure:

New report disputes commonly used statistics, cites evidence of obesity hysteria driven by pharmaceutical industry

Washington, DC – As ABC News and Time magazine convene a major gathering this week to discuss the nation’s expanding waistline, rhetoric about the “obesity epidemic” has itself reached epidemic proportions. In a new report entitled “An Epidemic of Obesity Myths,” the Center for Consumer Freedom presents evidence that disputes many commonly cited statistics and presumptions driving today’s obesity hysteria. The report also exposes how the pharmaceutical industry is putting enormous resources behind research that grossly exaggerates the costs of being overweight.

Citing a wide array of health, exercise and nutrition experts from Case Western Reserve University, George Washington University, the University of Virginia, and the former editor-in-chief of The New England Journal of Medicine, the report undermines oft-quoted myths including:

Obesity kills 400,000 Americans a year

Obesity costs the U.S. economy $117 billion per year

64 percent of Americans are overweight or obese

Overeating is the primary cause of obesity

Overweight individuals cannot be healthy

Soda consumption causes childhood obesity

The hype behind these obesity myths has become the driving force for trial lawyers who see dollar signs where the rest of us see dinner and activists who advocate radical “solutions” like zoning restrictions on restaurants and extra taxes and warning labels on certain foods.

ObesityPack.jpg

Along with today’s release of “An Epidemic of Obesity Myths,” the Center for Consumer Freedom distributed an obesity prevention kit, which provides those concerned about weight gain with plenty of common sense “warning labels” including a mirror, doggy bag, pedometer, a calorie expenditure chart and a glossary of terms. All items in the kit emphasize personal responsibility—not government intervention.

It's worth taking a look at the whole enchilada

Edited by Episure (log)

Elsewhere on this site mongo_jones had softly threatened to start a blog:

Posted: Jun 11 2004, 04:36 PM

i retract all my bleary-eyed, first cup of tea in the morning attempts at cracking wise.

(edit to add: especially since if i'm not careful i might piss someone off and get fingered to do a blog myself)

carry on.

Well he's done it now, I guess we will have to make a detour from the India forums everyday. :blink:

foodblog: mongo_jones, how to lose friends and annoy people

I saw this too. I'm surprised nobody has cracked a joke about how he, attempting to sound like a reluctant blog virgin, actually was advertising his interest being the next to be tagged.

Looks like it's off to a good start though.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I saw this too. I'm surprised nobody has cracked a joke about how he, attempting to sound like a reluctant blog virgin, actually was advertising his interest being the next to be tagged.

Looks like it's off to a good start though.

When I read that statement, I knew he was begging.

Well there you are, mongo_jones: part enfant terrible, part angel, part boogie man to his nephews, part swami and full time ambassador of Indian cuisine.

His "what does indian food mean to you?" question and it's responses are more relevant than some recently published market surveys.

Edited by Episure (log)

Link is now active- click herebest of indian

The world grieves for mongo_jones operation

mongo_jones grieves for himself Fingered finally

Edited by Episure (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...