• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indian Food

Episure

INDIAN FOOD NEWS:

Check here frequently for hot links to food articles, essays, columns and reviews published in food media across the world. Content may cover non-indian food too but related to India or Indians. Some of these links may require free registration to log in.

Virendra Sehwag's wedding menu plans

£8m settlement ends row that divided curry dynasty

Scotland's curry king Charan Gill named Asian entrepreneur of the year

Kolkata restaurant happenings

See what Chef Praveen Anand is up to at the Dakshin

There is not much difference between Pakistani and Indian cooking, explains chef Qureshi

Masala Bistro showcases rich, elegant Indian and Bengali food in Detroit

Opening shortly, on April 29, in London's Curry Street is Michael Caine's light 'n' tangy Indian restaurant 'Deya', glorified by The Guardian for serving gravy delights without ghee and hot masalas .

:biggrin:Cyrus Todiwala gets a new spelling and the UK's Guardian answers Jason's post on freaky pigments

Haldi study is another step in determining if curry can protect against Alzheimer's

Curcumin, which provides the yellow color in curry, may activate a key enzyme

Washington, DC -- A new study has found that curry, a common and popular cooking additive, could be an effective enhancer of an enzyme that protects the brain against oxidative conditions. This research is an important first step in determining whether curry could be preventive agent against acute neurodegenerative conditions, or reducing the progression of chronic and age associated neurodegenerative disorders, such as Alzheimer's disease.

Free Radicals and Neurodegenerative Disease

One of the most prominent current theories of aging is the "free radical theory." According to this theory, free radical molecules generated through mitochondrial metabolism can act as causative factor of abnormal function and cell death. Various toxins in the environment can injure mitochondrial enzymes, leading to increased generation of free radicals and oxidative stress, that over the life-span would eventually play a major role in aging. Free radical's oxidative damage to key intracellular targets such as DNA or proteins has been shown to be a major cause of the degenerative diseases related to aging such as cancer and Alzheimer's disease.

At the same time, a number of studies have supported the beneficial effects of some commonly used natural products in preventing various pathologic conditions. Spices and herbs often contain phenolic substances with potent antioxidative and chemopreventive properties. Among them is curcumin, a natural phenolic agent, extracted from the rhizome of Curcuma Longa, and the yellow pigment in curry, strongly induced HO-1 expression and activity in rat astrocytes.

Conclusions

This study identifies a novel compound that could be used for therapeutic purposes as potent inducers of HO-1 for protecting brain cells against oxidative conditions. The researchers believe that additional in vitro and in vivo studies are necessary to determine whether curcumin can be used as preventive agent against acute neurodegenerative conditions that affect an increasingly aged population.

The American Physiological Society (APS) is America's oldest biomedical sciences research society. The not-for-profit society, with some 11,000 members, is the publisher of 14 scientific journals, including the American Journal of Physiology, which has been published since 1898.

Edited by Episure (log)

I fry by the heat of my pans. ~ Suresh Hinduja

http://www.gourmetindia.com

Episure - great work!

If you can keep this up, it will IMHO be the most valuable among all the media digests available on eGullet, because it aggregates information about Indian cuisine from a wide range of outlets. What's, pray tell, is your secret for locating all these relevant stories?

Sun-Ki Chai
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sunki/

Former Hawaii Forum Host

Thanks SKBhai,

I'm nowhere near matching your skills, you are the kahuna of Hawai`i and India, I've still a lot to learn from you.

I'm trying to shun links that require registration or have pop up ads but that seems to be unavoidable.

I will also depend on your kokua to keep this section running in case I'm travelling( to Hawai`i, I hope!) or unable to maintain it.

Edited by Episure (log)

:rolleyes: I really enjoyed your description of Indian cuisine and its popularity. That's lot of research. I am trying to find some Indian songs related to food. If you have any ideas, I'll really appreciate.

Kusum

Kusum

Author - 'Recipes with a Spice - Indian Cuisine for Balanced Nutrition'

www.healthyindiancuisine.com

The $14 million Lloyd Weber Indo-British musical, “Bombay Dreams,” after fair success during its 2-year run in London, was finely chopped and grilled to well done by local and national U.S. media when it premiered at the Broadway Theater on April 29th. Bombay Dreams may have done okay in UK but the Americans have given it a big thumbs down, or all digits down.

The funny part is that many of the metaphors are food based :biggrin: .....

"a syrupy stew of faintly spiced pop clichés, suggests the equivalent of a Big Mac sprinkled with curry powder.”

“overheated curry, although adapted for American tastes, may not appeal to every palate”.

“as though someone sprinkled garam masala over the score for Aspects Of Love and called it a day.”

I wonder if it had anything to do with Madhur Jaffrey who stars in the show.

Discuss this article here:

Feedback - Indian food media and news

:rolleyes: I really enjoyed your description of Indian cuisine and its popularity. That's lot of research. I am trying to find some Indian songs related to food. If you have any ideas, I'll really appreciate.

Kusum

there's bappi lahiri's immortal lyric: "you are my fish-fry/you are my chicken-fry"; sung in english no less. the man is a genius.

Bhappi Da truly is the genius of his genre. Only he is capable of doing an amazing turnaround when he sues Dr. Dre for plagiarism

He is also the man who loses 20 kg weight when he removes his jewellery and embellishments.

"You are my samosa You are my masala dosa

You are my chocolate You are my cutlet

You are my rossogolla You are my rasmalai"

Edited by Episure (log)