• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Mangoes

Beachfan

After I described it, she said that Whole Foods is selling something called a Champagne Mango in the states right now and it looks just like that!

I think they're what I usually see as Manila mangoes. I've seen them called Champagne mangoes as well. From what I understand, they're premium-grade Ataulfo mangoes. They look nothing like the picture that bague25 posted. They're less elongated. More squat and fat.

I think they're what I usually see as Manila mangoes. I've seen them called Champagne mangoes as well. From what I understand, they're premium-grade Ataulfo mangoes. They look nothing like the picture that bague25 posted. They're less elongated. More squat and fat.

i used to get them in l.a. they're pretty good. nothing that will make you forget a langda, daseri or alphonso but the best i've had in the u.s.

• 2 weeks later...

Doc Jones,

Could not believe A.... Sa... and that too directed at the esteemed Ustadsaheb himself!!!! At this rate, only Naropa will be of help!! Calm down, write to Dr. Richard Campbell, Fairchild Tropical Gardens, Florida. He can recommend purveyors who can supply mangoes far better than the usual.Also, do not forget the Palisade peaches in Colorado.

regards,

gautam

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from Toronto where we made a special trip to the Indian shopping area on Gerrard in search of Indian/Pakistani mangoes. We weren't disappointed. We found several varieties, including Chosa, Langra, and Dassehri (no Alphonsos; they apparently came and went.) The quality was uneven: some were ripe and very sweet, others were not. But one thing they had in common was a lack of fiber, which is the besetting sin of Western Hemisphere mangoes And in general they were better than anything I have had here.. The cost was $19 (Canadian) for a box of 8 Indian dassehir mangoes, which were the most expensive.

We also picked up some mangosteen, jackfruit, custard apples, and rambutan and enjoyed a Sri Lankan meal in Scarberia (i.e., Scarborough, a large sprawling district of little shopping malls on the eastern part of teh city, which is mecca for all sorts of ethnic dining. East and West Indian/Chinese restaurants seem to be all the rage right now.