• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An American Grill Wine Dinner--Afterthoughts

Rosie

Rosie, are you sure the Dr. Loosen was an '03? The '02 has only been here a short while. Either way I love this wine a lot, have been drinking it for many years and still own a few of his oldies.

I could be wrong but I remember asking what year and was told '03 because they didn't have enough '02 in stock for us to drink.

To all,

The Eroica was 2003 as 2002 is now sold out at our warehouse. You may find 02 on the shelves and wine lists and it is drinking nicely. If you want 03, just ask your local retailer to speak with her/his ABD sales rep as it is in stock (6 pack cases.)

Phil

I have never met a miserly wine lover

tommy, my sweet

if unfiltered i don't think it will benefit from sitting

ps- it's suzi signed in as johnnybird. he really isn't getting fresh

Actually, as an unfiltered wine, it may age better than one that had been filtered as filtration sometimes, if not always, strips some of the "good" stuff in wine.

Personally, I have about 4 bottles tucked away for about 3-4 years in my cellar. I think this wine will improve with some age.

IMHO, of course.

Phil

Actually, as an unfiltered wine, it may age better than one that had been filtered as filtration sometimes, if not always, strips some of the "good" stuff in wine.

Personally, I have about 4 bottles tucked away for about 3-4 years in my cellar. I think this wine will improve with some age.

IMHO, of course.

Phil

phil

is this the same thinking as letting a champagne sit on the lees?

edited to say i'm more familiar with beer brewing since john has homebrewed and his one attempt at wine making was - um - interesting? :rolleyes:

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMHO, of course.

Phil

phil

is this the same thinking as letting a champagne sit on the lees?

edited to say i'm more familiar with beer brewing since john has homebrewed and his one attempt at wine making was - um - interesting? :rolleyes:

<<is this the same thinking as letting a champagne sit on the lees?>>

Suzi,

Similar but different. The lees in champagne as do the lees (dead yeast cells) in wine also add complexity. When filtering wine, you do remove characteristics in the wine that make it more complex.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

My sincere apologies to Lou for taking so long with this post...I have been insanely busy and unfortunately have only been breezing by egullett lately...I just wanted to echo the thoughts of everyone else in saying what a fine job Lou and his staff did for this event. It is always so refreshing to see pride taken in each and every aspect of a meal and that is what comes across each and every time I have been to the Grill. The food simply speaks for itself and one course was better than the next...for me personally the ravioli stole the show...just a great combination of flavors and they just melted in your mouth. I had the priveledge of enjoying them two nights in a row as I was back the following evening for another function...10 nights in a row of those wouldn't be too much! Thanks again Lou for a great time and also thanks to Phil Ward for his outstanding wine pairings and contributions. I for one am already looking forward to the next event! :biggrin:

A.D.S.

Step 1: Step AWAY from the computer...

Step 2: Step away from the green neon martini...

Step 3: Hey! You're not supposed to be reading this if you followed Steps 1 and 2!

Heehee :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."