• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Massive AOC shake-up proposed

Craig Camp

Anger is the first emotion generated from this article and especially from the quote.

This step should be banned and traditional falvors encouaged in each terroir.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

Well, I'll believe it when I see it. This isn't quite the same as Italy's DOCG designation since, as I understand the article, AOCE can apply to any AOC -- it's just that certain wines will earn that extra letter.

But for the non-European consumer who already doesn't understand French labels, I don't know how this is really going to educate them. Rather, it will teach buyers something like "that extra 'E' means I cost more money."

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

This makes no sense to me (and I live in France). I agree with you Brad. Presumably these AOCE bottles will be at the more expensive end. Is that the solution to the wine surplus? It seems like they would be better served by targeting the same wine drinkers that the Australians have marketed to so successfully. There should be an all out effort to promote everyday, affordable French wines. Rather than adding another level of complexity to the already confusing AOC system, they might be better served by simply labeling export bottles with the varietals, since that is something that novice wine drinkers can understand (an addition that should not be necessary at the high end). It might go a long way toward increasing understanding with the foreign public. I think the AOC system and French wines are simply too intimidating for novice wine drinkers.