• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2003 Bordeaux to outshine 2000?

Craig Camp

I can sense the scrum developing already. I think there will be significant demand for a small selection of wines. I've already decided what I would like to buy based on numerous vintage reports plus knowledge of my favoured properties. I'm sure many though are waiting for Parker's scores. There has been a trickling out of lesser reds, no real top names, but the last 24-48 hours has seen the release of a number of Sauternes/Barsacs and prices comparable to those of the last two years.

BWs

Chris Kissack

MY 2001 Sauterns are about to show up and should be uniformly great, so I will pass the 2003. I will order a few cases of Bordeaux mostly to continue my vintages in a couple of Chateau's. If they turn out very good so much the better. -Dick

Richard Ehrlich, in today's Independent, under the title "Too darned hot" comments that it is a very patchy vintage, much depending on the skill of the vinyard and the winemaker. Northern Medoc: St Julien, Paulliac, St Estephe, Sauternes and Barsac have promise, but southern wines, such as St Emilion and Pomeral have a hard time. This confirms what I have heard from merchants and shippers.

There is a lot of flabby, sweet, low acidity, untypical wine about. Given ten years, the wines may balance, but many don't have the structure to age. Of course, some may like high alcohol, the big simple fruit and low acidity, and I'd expect some high Parker scores, but to me that is not what Claret is about. Its Bordeaux, not a hot country quaffing wine.

Buy with extreme caution. Ehrlich says "buy carefully, taking good advice with this inconsistent vintage"

This is really the quintessential argument about wine styling that goes on everyday in our very own boards - the argument of "International Style" wines vs. tradition and terroir. Here is a link to a summary of the war of words currently going on over these wines. Click on "The Fella in the Cella, then scroll down to the area titled "Way of the World" for the debate.,

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz