• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

foodie vacations

Kim WB

• 2 weeks later...

My GF and I have three little "food vacations" as we've been calling them, planned for this summer.

Tomorrow we leave for Memphis, TN for their annual BBQ Cookoff. We have never been to anything like this before, and our plan is basically to suck down as much pork as possible in a 48 hour period.

Philadelphia, PA - We are planning to do a 2 day, 1 night Cheesesteak Tour. Hitting the big three: Pat's, Gino's, Jim's, and any others that come accross our path.

Finally, we have turned a friend's wedding in RI that we are not excited about going to, into a fun little seafood getaway. We are NOT staying in a hotel with the wedding guests as we have plotted out a bunch of seafood stops in northern CT, and MA along the way to and from there.

-Richie

Some very interesting trips..to answer Robyn's inquiry, I'm not planning at any specific time..our schedules this coming year, I suspect, will allow for long weekends but no real "chunks" of time to get away, so I thought it might be a good idea to get some ideas and start some research.

I hope other egulleters ignore my "east coast" specifications, and add their favorite foodie vacations..might be helpful to others.

I'm intrigued by Montreal, that will certainly be a destination. ( to the NYC suggestions, I live within an hour of the city, so that's a frequent day trip...and while I heartily second Katie's NewHope/Lambertville/Buck's County suggestion, I live in Lambertville. )

thanks all, keep 'em coming. :smile:

One of my greatest roadtrips was with my now husband through the Louisiana Bayou. We had an amazing time discovering that area and the food ! He's French so there was an interest in it for him, in fact one town was celebrating their French roots and we gave a bunch of kids each a French coin (this was back in the day of the franc) People were so friendly. It was great. :biggrin:

My GF and I have three little "food vacations" as we've been calling them, planned for this summer.

But .... but ..... ALL my holidays end up being food centred to a greater or lessser extent!! All those new markets to visit, restaurants to try, and of course, the obligatory coffee / cake / beer stop to help your appreciation of art and culture!

The best quote was provided by my best friend who said that when she and her husband were in Amsterdam for a short weekend break, they were sat at breakfast and she was running through her suggested itinerary for the day - Van Gogh museum, Anne Frank house, various churches etc. Simon spluttered over his coffee and said, "but where are we going to eat? Have you learnt NOTHING from Yin after all these years?!?!"

Felt so proud when I heard that :laugh:

Anyway - great foodie vacations? Someone has already mentioned NYC and San Francisco - but on the European front - Barcelona is pretty marvellous with La Boqueria market, great tapas in the Ramblas and pretty good seafood as well.

Very much enjoyed my week in South West France last year - because the basic quality of food (bread, pate, cheese, wine - what more do you need?) was so superb. It helped that it was 40 degrees C, and we were staying in a chateau ... but even so ... *SIGH* ...

Still - am off to Brussels this weekend so am looking forward to industrial quantities of moules frites, beer, chocolate and much more!

Yin

X

If you do wind up in Montreal, don't miss the great food markets, including Jean Talon downtown and the Atwater in St. Henri, both with incredible local cheeses, charcuterie, baked goods and tons more.

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ

New Hope has good food?! oh goodie, I'm going to be spending some time there very soon... :smile:

hmmm maybe I should ask for recommends over on the PA board...

Born Free, Now Expensive

I like Vancouver for a dining destination, great Chinese food, seafood, and sushi.

I really like Vancouver too - but I don't think it's on the central east coast. On the other hand - it's not hard to get to - and I'd pick it over any central east coast destination I can think of. Robyn

Philadelphia, PA - We are planning to do a 2 day, 1 night Cheesesteak Tour.  Hitting the big three: Pat's, Gino's, Jim's, and any others that come accross our path.

Please! Those joints are really more for tourists than anything else. I strongly suggest you try, among many worthy shops:

John's Roast Pork (Snyder, near Delaware Ave.). Also good RP sandwiches. Open weekdays only until about 2:00 PM.

Tony Luke's (Front/Oregon): RP w/broccoli rabe also rocks. Philly institution.

Chink's Steaks (Torresdale Ave., just north of Cheltenham): Great sandwich. Great malteds.

This really belongs on the PA board. There are many threads on this topic. For a wealth of cheesesteak info, also try the Philly page on Holly Moore's website

Still - am off to Brussels this weekend so am looking forward to industrial quantities of moules frites, beer, chocolate and much more!

Yin

X

Having had the opportunity to travel frequently to Brussels on business, the beer, chocolate, moules, etc. are certainly all part of the attraction. Additionally, in Europe, Brussels is second only to Paris in excellent resaurants -- particularly seafood. I am particularly fond of a place located in a basement in one corner of the Grande Place. It's got a Flemish name --- something like Tekuldekirch -- everyone knows it, and (for Brussels) it's not too pricey. Watch your head when you enter. Enjoy!

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

• 1 month later...

Depending on where you live and how far you want to travel I'd definetely go for Catalonia in Spain, particularly the Barcelona area which these days are home to some of the best both innovative and traditional cooking around, even the French are squinting their way.

If you're able to top it up with a reservation at El Bulli or El Raco De Can Fabes it'll be worth the trip.

IMHO this, flight included, will not set you back more than any comparable weekend in NYC and will be more enjoyable!

• 2 weeks later...