• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

foodie vacations

Kim WB

In one of the monthly glossies, there was an article on food vacations, with formal lessons included in the trip. I;m not interestede in that, but am interested in some of e-gulleters favorite destinations..which are bound to have great meals incorporated. Specifically, I am looking for a long weekend kind of place near the central east coast ( Mass to GA, PA) that has high end accomodations and dining, relaxing, touristy shopping ok. Baltimore, Annapolis, Newport, all perfect but done before. Suggestions? Some great resort in Georgia? No golf focus, please. Your ideas and suggestions highly appreciated.

Montreal is a great food town that has the advantage of being easy to get to, relatively exotic and inexpensive for someone from the US. Another alternative would be the Laurentians outside of Montreal. Quebec City is probably a little too far outside your specs, but a good long weekend visit as well. Of course there is always the Adirondacks and Vermont. I could go into more specifics if interested.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Lancaster County, PA

New Hope, PA/Lambertville, NJ (I realize this is basically your backyard, but there are some lovely inns with spas and some great restaurants)

The new Borgata complex in Atlantic City

Chesapeake Bay - Crisfield, MD for crabs and scenery. Take the ferry to Tangier Island for an afternoon.

Brandywine Valley. Great restaurants and Longwood Gardens and Museums. The Frank Lloyd Wright houses, etc.

Good grief - come to Philly! Stay at the Four Seasons and treat yourself! And you know there's plenty of wonderful restaurants.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Hudson Valley -- Rhinebeck, Millbrook, Red Hook. These are charming, small towns, with nice B&Bs and very decent restaurants. Go in the autumn when the leaves are turning, and you will see unbelievable scenery. In October they have a sheep and wool festival in Rhinebeck, which is fun even if that is not your thing, and is at the peak of the leaf season.

Montreal is a great food town that has the advantage of being easy to get to, relatively exotic and inexpensive for someone from the US. Another alternative would be the Laurentians outside of Montreal. Quebec City is probably a little too far outside your specs, but a good long weekend visit as well. Of course there is always the Adirondacks and Vermont. I could go into more specifics if interested.

Cool. I was just thinking last night of flying up to Burlington, renting and car, and driving to Montreal. Any restaurants to recommend?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I'm with Pitter, there's great food in the Hudson Valley area, from one of the best homemade ice cream places I've seen (Holy Cow) to the restaurants at the Culinary Institute of America (reservatios needed). The small towns like New Paltz, Rheinbeck and Woodstock have several good small places to eat. Plus, the scenery is magical.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I heartily agree with the Montreal recommendation. We were there last November and had a great time.

Lots of great restaurants and a really accessible city to explore on foot and via subway. If I had to pick one restaurant that you shouldn't miss, I would say Anise.

Don't miss the cheese shops. I asked the cheese monger at Hamel (Jean-Talon location) for some raw-milk Quebecois cheese and I could have stayed for a couple of hours listening and learning. As it was, we took a selection of five with us and bought a bottle of wine for a great lunch.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Charleston, SC. Wonderfully friendly and beautiful town. Excellent food options. Good shopping and beautiful hotels.

You took the shrimp and grits right outta my mouth on this suggestion ... had been mulling it over for the entire day .. thanks!! I may go back again myself!! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

My wife and I just came back from Savannah, GA and had a great time. Excellent hotels and B&Bs, delicious low-country food (particularly recommend Elizabeth on 37th St.) Very relaxing.

We have a house in the Hudson River Valley, so I would second that as well, particularly if you can get a table at the CIA (good luck.) :-)

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

Specifically, I am looking for a long weekend kind of place near the central east coast ( Mass to GA, PA) that has high end accomodations and dining, relaxing, touristy shopping ok. Baltimore, Annapolis, Newport, all perfect but done before.

Sounds like New York City, to me.

Baltimore? Perfect? (Not that it's not "Charm City")

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

:biggrin:

I spent a few days in NYC last spring, just reading and taking walks and eating in places-I'd-dreamed-about (Daniel, Veritas) and meeting eGulletarians I want to see again and typing reports into eGullet about the places I'd eaten at a nearby Kinko's. It was heaven, and I'm gonna do it again some time this year.

The next trip I'm saving for, over the long run, is going to be to County Cork in Ireland, to a place in Shannagarry called Ballymaloe House; there's a cooking school as well as an inn/restaurant operation there, I believe, and at some point I'm simply going to pack a trunk of books and go spend a week or so submerged in food and wine and literature and country silence (and some more food and wine).

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

but am interested in some of e-gulleters favorite destinations.

Nothing you could do in a weekend, sure, but just to contribute to the conversation, my personal favorite 'food destination' would be the legendary Gustavus Inn.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Specifically, I am looking for a long weekend kind of place near the central east coast ( Mass to GA, PA) that has high end accomodations and dining, relaxing, touristy shopping ok.  Baltimore, Annapolis, Newport, all perfect but done before.

Sounds like New York City, to me.

Baltimore? Perfect? (Not that it's not "Charm City")

New York City would be my first choice as well... since it has more diverse and delicious chow per square foot than almost any other city. You also can find lots of affordable meals, so you can eat well without breaking the bank.

Atlanta GA, Charlotte NC (and the surrounding mountains), and Memphis TN would fit the bill, I think. Of course, this is the grits and BBQ tour, but there are actual luxury hotels and great restaurants of every variety in these places.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

i really want to go to greenbrier... or rachlin's bbq bootcamp.

you might like where i grew up - the east end of long island. wineries on the north fork, cool little shops in greenport, the ferry over to shelter island, good bike riding for exercise, some interesting restaurants in the area - anything from clam shack to french to modern american.

course there is darien ga - outlet central but with brunswick nearby you do have the ga pig, st. mary's and stuffed ham and jekyl island :raz:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

In one of the monthly glossies, there was an article on food vacations, with formal lessons included in the trip. I;m not interestede in that, but am interested in some of e-gulleters favorite destinations..which are bound to have great meals incorporated. Specifically, I am looking for a long weekend kind of place near the central east coast ( Mass to GA, PA) that has high end accomodations and dining, relaxing, touristy shopping ok. Baltimore, Annapolis, Newport, all perfect but done before. Suggestions? Some great resort in Georgia? No golf focus, please. Your ideas and suggestions highly appreciated.

What time of year are you planning to go? Robyn

"...... Any restaurants to recommend? "

I can not vouch for the reliability of mentioned addresses below, but these were given to me by a friend whom I trust.

I you visit any , please report about them.

Les Heritiers 4 course dinner: around $35 (Canadian) / BYOB

5091 de Lanaudière (on the corner of Laurier) / Montreal, Canada / 514-528-4953

A la Decouverte 4 course dinner: around $35 (Canadian) / BYOB

4350 De la Roche & Marianne / Montreal, Canada / 514-529-8377

*Patisserie de Gascogne Sandwiches and entrees: $6-9 (Canadian)

2 locations: 4825 Sherbrooke St W / Montreal, Canada / (514) 932-3511

237 Laurier / Montreal, Canada

Chez L'Epicier Appetizers: $7-9 Entrées: $19-34

311 Saint Paul E / Montreal, QC / (514) 878-2232

*Au Pied de Cochon Appetizers: $6-8 Entrées: $18-26

536 Rue Duluth Est / Montreal, QC / 514-281-1114

*Poisson Rouge 4 course dinner: around $33 (Canadian) / BYOB

1201 Rachel St E / Montreal, QC / (514) 522-4876

L'Express Appetizers: $5-10 (Canadian) Entrees: $14-22 (CA)

3927 Saint-Denis / Montreal, Canada / 514-845-5333

Difficult to spot because the only sign is in the sidewalk

*Toqué! Appetizers: $12-20 Entrees: $30-40 5 course tasting menu: $74

All prices are in Canadian dollars

3842 St Denis St / Montreal, Canada / (514) 499-2084

*Jardin Nelson Lunch entrees: $10-12 (Canadian)

407 Place Jacques Cartier / Montreal, Canada / 514-861-5731

Peter

Cool. I was just thinking last night of flying up to Burlington, renting and car, and driving to Montreal. Any restaurants to recommend?

Al, Two restaurants in Montreal with eGullet connections (members are chefs) that I can personally attest as being fantastic are Les Chevres and Rosalie. Other favorites of mine include Toque (now in a new location) and Chez L'Epicier, although that was disappointing on my last visit. There are other restaurants with eGullet connections reported to be excellent such as Brunoise, but I haven't been yet. Check out the Montreal board for more suggestions. By the way the food markets aree great and a lot of fun, especially Atwater and Jean Talon.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

The next trip I'm saving for, over the long run, is going to be to County Cork in Ireland, to a place in Shannagarry called Ballymaloe House; there's a cooking school as well as an inn/restaurant operation there, I believe, and at some point I'm simply going to pack a trunk of books and go spend a week or so submerged in food and wine and literature and country silence (and some more food and wine).

I had the pleasure of meeting and having dinner with Myrtle Allen, the founder and proprietor of Ballymalloe last November at The Slow Food Congress in Naples, Italy. She is a very charming person and received a special award from Slow Food. Ballymalloe is high on my list of places to visit as well

Twitter - @docsconz

Probably the singular greatest foodie vacation I ever had was house-sitting for two weeks in San Francisco.

After my S.O. and I ate at Zuni Cafe, Boulevard, Chez Panisse, and Oliveto--among many others, we rented a car and drove up to Napa and Sonoma. We made a home base in Healdsberg (sp?) for about four days, and hit Stars Oakville Cafe (RIP), Mustards Grill, Tra Vigne, Jan Bierenbaum's place in Calistoga, CIA at Greystone, and a great bar in Sonoma Square that features the complete set of C.M. Coolidge's prints of dogs playing poker.

Oh, and did I mention that we toured two or three wineries?

Alas, we couldn't get a reservation at The French Laundry, but perhaps if S.F. is a viable option, your trip will coincide with their reopening.

Best regards,

Skip Lombardi

http://www.skiplombardi.com

The Greenbrier Resort in West VA sounds like it would fit the bill. But be aware that it's in the middle of nowhere...

I grew up about five miles from there and I wouldn't call it the middle of nowhere, though you're not going to find any Thai restaurants nearby. There are good places to eat in Lewisburg (where I'm from) but mostly you're gonna want to eat at the resort.

But, for the most part, it's a good place to go to get away from it all, play golf, maybe go fishing, etc. And the scenery is amazing (especially in the fall). I love NYC but I always look forward to going back.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Montreal, Montreal, Montreal..... On your way there, incredible little restaurants in the middle of the Vermont mountain area (around Middlebury) and all around Burlington. The New England Culinary Institute has done a good job over there. In Montreal (I spent the first thirty-five years of my life there so I'm just a little biased) go to Doval, the best little portuguese bar outside Oporto; Le Maistre, on Monkland in NDG used to be pretty good for the money and Le Caveau on President Kennedy (if it's still there..) was always great. If you decide to go there, PM me so I can call friends to get you fresh info.