• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meditteranean Swordfish

KateW

I just want to brainstorm ideas--as some of you may know I'm at an internship in a kitchen at a racing track and I have to develop a special. I have decided to make one of my favorite meals, swordfish with Greek olives and capers over pasta and topped with fresh breadcrumbs. Chef wants me to make a sauce with it--I don't really want to because that's not how I do it, but I am open to it. I am making this to order this weekend and am looking for ideas. I was thinking a butter sauce, but that seems so French to me, and this dish is Meditteranean. What should I do? I agree it is a little dry without sauce. do you think I should just swirl in a little butter? I saute everything together and then put it over pasta.

Thanks...

How about a light tomato sauce of diced plum tomatoes with shallots and garlic, sauteed in EVOO, quick white wine reduction? Toss the olives and capers in. Bung in some loose-chopped flat parsley. Splash of lemon. Perhaps a tiny crumble of feta even?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I had to look up avgolemeno sauce but that sounds really nice. I'll whip up some at home tomorrow and try it.

I've tried the dish with tomatoes in it and didn't care for it. I actually did want to incorporate lemon juice into it but a simple spritz didn't taste right. Thanks!

I'm with Jinmyo except without the feta. That's my normal fish treatment. If you don't like the tomatoes, just omit them. Mount in some butter at the end and add just a little oregano to continue the Greek theme. Sound great to me!!!

Stop Family Violence

I agree with balex, salmoriglio is great on swordfish. In Sicily this combination is a classic.

Salmoriglio is basically an emulsion of olive oil and lemon juice (plus oftem but not always: oregano, garlic, pepper) made over a bain-marie.

Il Forno: eating, drinking, baking... mostly side effect free. Italian food from an Italian kitchen.

Kate, I agree about the feta. But you'll sell more with it.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

salmoriglio

*smacks forehead* of course! That's going to be the sauce with the swordfish at my wedding!

Now, here's another issue I should have mentioned before. I can either make the sauce ahead of time, and kept room temp, and reheat in the saute pan with the other ingredients, or make a real fast sauce a la minute.

damn... too late to recommend a really good romesco sauce with grilled swordfish (marlin works too)... :)

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."