• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Best Bit

godito

The end (better yet, start :laugh: ) of a good strudel or bread.

The crispy bits of rice that line the pot if you cook the rice long enough.

The brown meat of the chicken.

The red part of the roots of the spinach.

The young leaves of the cashew tree. Yum! (Note: Don't look for them unless there are cashew trees growing in your area. They don't travel well.)

Michael aka "Pan"

Oh, fish skin is often really good (right, Ankomochi? :laugh::wink: ).

Ooh, forgot about this one...thanks for reminding me. This was the best component of a meal I had at Au C'Amelot during my recent trip to Paris. The fish's skin had been removed, cooked separately, and returned to become an integral, crispy contrast to perfectly done flaky fish. Amazing and incredible.

I hereby amend my previous "favorite bit" statement, and reserve the right to amend again upon future reading of this thread.

:raz:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

The marrow from beef if still inside the bone after making beef soup. You must be careful to pick the bones out of the soup and deposit the marrow on a piece of toast with a sprinkle of salt - Heaven !!!!!!

Mmmmmmm! It's the best part of Osso Bucco. After you cleared the meat and cleaned the sauce with your polenta, you take the marrow out and let your mouth reach heaven.

Also, in most rice preparations, such as Paella, the crust that's left in the pan is often requested by customers. I know I like to eat it. In Ecuador they call the crust of any rice Cocolon. You can get any kind of stew with rice and cocolon. Soooo good!

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

Cardiologists and the rest of my family be damned...the seared, crispy, mouth orgasm that is the fat from a nicely grilled rib eye steak....Oh yeah.... :cool:

Where's my cigarettes? :laugh:

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I mentioned crispy rice before. Anyone who likes that has to have some Gobdol Bibimbap in a Korean restaurant (or make your own). That's some nice crispy rice mixed with eggs, hot sauce, and various other stuff at the bottom of your bowl!

Michael aka "Pan"

I mentioned crispy rice before. Anyone who likes that has to have some Gobdol Bibimbap in a Korean restaurant (or make your own). That's some nice crispy rice mixed with eggs, hot sauce, and various other stuff at the bottom of your bowl!

You can actually buy whole bowls of just that rice crust in microwaveable packaging in Korean markets now - those Koreans are a clever people.

The popcorn that somehow managed to soak up more than its fair share of butter - a friend dubbed them "little yellow creations" round about 4th grade, and that's what they've been ever since.

The little cap of crispy stuffing that forms right at the top of the turkey cavity and always comes off in one delicious piece. I stole that for years from the family's turkeys.

The hot, crisp turkey skin over the breast when it's done roasting and all the butter shoved under the skin has melted. I don't like it at all if it's cooled some - it gets gummy and rubbery. But in those first few moments, every dietary recommendation can be damned, heaven is mine.

Licking the beaters after making whipped cream or cake batter or something else good and gooey. It just tastes better than the rest.

The malted milk balls that somehow get a hole in them, so they sort of collapse on themselves, and get all chewy and dense. I know some people don't like them, but they're treats to me.

The middle of a sandwich. I still don't like bread crusts as much as the center, so I eat my sandwich halves around the edges first, then have several perfect bites at the end, saving the the best for last. (Even though I like ciabatta crust, I still like the center more.)

The yolk of the hard boiled egg.

The leftover bits of pie crust dough, rolled thin, buttered, coated with cinnamon sugar, and baked until bubbly. I can take or leave pie, but those cooked leftovers were wonderful.

My family makes a cookie called "toffee squares" (straight out of the Betty Crocker cookbook). The dough is spread on a pan, then topped and cut into squares. Because the flat dough piece is never exactly rectangular, there are always wonderful darker edges to nibble on. Maybe they were better because we could eat them all, while the perfect little square cookies were saved for "company".

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

All these suggestions have whetted my appetite and now I am trying to decide what to fix.

I love the somewhat scorched sliced potatoes on the edges of a skillit of fried potatoes.

When I order potatoes with breakfast, whether home fries, hash browns or "cottage" fries, I always ask for them to be extremely well done, and do not mind if they are scorched.

The burnt sugar flavor also seems to be universally desired. Who has not burnt a marshmallow to the point where it appears vulcanized, then carefull peeled away the black crust on which to nibble while carefully toasting the remainder of the marshmallow? Heaven!

Andiesenji

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Roast chicken wing tips. You can eat it all if you chew carefully! Then the scrappings at the bottom of the roast chicken pan.

The crispy cheese layer at the bottom of the fondue pot. It was always divided carefully amongst all family members!

The fat from a roast goose, eaten late at night on black bread with a sprinkling of salt.

I love the collapsed malt balls, too! I thought I was the only person . Maybe we can start a support group?

Der Knust of a freshly baked loaf of bread. (My family is German, I would have to explain this deliccy to my friends with "The knust, you know, the end piece of bread").

If it's really good bread, you don't even need butter.

Either of the "oysters" from a roast turkey or chicken...

Oh that was also my favorite too!! :biggrin:

I love stale Marshmallow Peeps

My mom use to pour all the "juice" from cooked steaks into a cup for me. I loved to drink that as a kid.

Mommy's little vampire! :raz:

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

My Dad catches live blue-crabs from the North Atlantic- I am one of the only people I know of that eats the stuff out of the shell when you first open them up. There is all kinds of odd stuff in there, but its all 100% edible- obviously not the lungs and the inner shells- just the stuff inside the outer shell.)

My Dad just laughs and laughs when he sees me do this. Occaisionally he tries it too-- sometimes he kind of likes it, othert times he just shakes his head, always amazed at what I will eat. It's delicious and most people are too grossed out by how it looks and they discard it!! If it's not a delicacy, it should be. Also the she-crab Roe.

“Seeing is deceiving. It's eating that's believing.”

James Thurber (1894-1961), American writer and cartoonist.

The skin from a whole pig that's been roasting for 15 hours in a ditch under palm fronds. Once that pig comes out and is put on a table to cool it's only a matter of time until everyone at the bbq starts picking at the crispy skin until there's none left. Damn I love latin food.

The hand-made knot of a really good Amish sourdough pretzel (Gibbles, Bachman's, Uncle Jerry's, Revonah, Wege, King's, Utz, Redner's, Hammond's, Martin's and a few others from Lancaster, Berks and York counties in PA), especially when it is covered with a generous coillection of salt.

Glass of milk.

Heaven.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"