• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NW egulleteer needs recs.

Foodie-Girl

Taking a driving trip out your way starting June first and needs some advice. Love all kinds of food but especially interested in seafood....not on a budget and want to eat close to where we sleep...Here are our stops:

Prouts Neck, ME (staying at Black Point Inn 1 night)

Kennebunkport, ME (2 nights)

Lenox, MA (1 night)

Cooperstown, NY (1 night) **Guess I should also post on NY board.

Thanks in advance!

Hello Foodie Girl,

The Black Point Inn is quite near my house. You'll love it out there. Make sure to take a walk along the beach you can see from the front porch.

My recommendation would be be for youto head into Portland as it is only 10 to 15 mins away.

I would venture that the best place in town right now is Hugo's, the chef has a French Laundry pedigree (from what I've heard) and it shows. Not only that, the prices are very, very good.

If you are interested in Seafood I would go to Fore Street. It's not all local seafood, but it doesnt' matter. While Fore Street once seemed just a bastion for good meat on a spit, the past few years have shown Sam Hayward knows how to grill and roast fish to perfection as well.

If you aren't tied to fish I would give Five Fifty-Five a try. While ther menu changes, I had a stuffed flounder dish there recently that was to die for. It's easy to screw up with flounder since it is such a delicate fish and the meal I had was perfectly prepared, still moist and filled with the wonderful flounder flavor I remember as a kid. If you MUST have fish and are considering going there, call ahead for the menu sinc eit changes frequently.

Whilen Kennebunk, you shouldo to the White Barn Inn, hands down, and it's right in the same town.

If you don't mind a little drive (maybe 20 to 30 minutes, depending on where you are staying), I'd give Arrows in Ogunquit a shot, run by people who are ex- of (the now defunct) Stars in San Francisco.

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

Thanks for the info. We will also be staying in Freeport (visiting family) and will be eating in Portland while there.

Oh Yes, we've been to Fore. Street....really liked it a lot.

I'm really interested in the restaurant with a chef from French Laundry (one of the best restaurants I've ever been to...) so I'll follow up on that one as well.

THANKS

Hey, F-G--

Hugo's, Hugo's, Hugo's.

Link here: http://www.hugos.net/

Chef Rob Evans was just named one of Food & Wine's top 10 new chefs, so I would call for a reservation if I were you. I believe they are still offering this screaming deal: 3 courses for $30, midweek (I think it's Tues-Thurs but could be wrong). Tasting menu is not to be believed, and the bar menu allows all kinds of flexibility if that's the mood you're in. Can't say enough good stuff about this place.

Also: try the pork belly.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians