• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where's The Beef

ou812

Magoo's on Dundas West in Etobicoke (in same plaza as Bruno's) provided me with a very satisfactory lunch today. Great 6 oz burger.

Dipamo's (the unoriginal on Eglinton) seems to offer a good burger according to my wife and son.

So there's my 2 cents.

i like blueberry hill a whole lot, but they seem to be disappearing. There may be one on bloor near runnymede.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

One of the things that are really good in Toronto restaurants is that most places serve their hamburgers with fried onions. I wish it were as normal in Ottawa and Montreal.

I am sure the best burger will be served with pickled peppers.

Here is a list of my favouite hamburger spots in Toronto:

• Groucho's - Bayview in between Eglinton and Davisville on the west side - my personal favourite, lots of toppings, good size, excellent meat.
  • Wimpy's - I know they are a chain, but the burgers are big and juicy.
  • Golden Star (Yonge north of Steeles on the East side) - Long standing establishment with a decent burger
  • Fat Phil's - Marlee St. - Excellent large burgers
  • Johnny's - Sheppard and Victoria Park - Cheap and yummy.
  • Steer Inn - Yonge south of Major Mackenzie on the East side in Richmond Hill
  • Licks - chain store - Licks aren't that bad, I actually really like their Turkey burger (Gobbler)

I know there are more out there, but these are the ones I frequent

• 2 weeks later...

The spots below have furnished me with some very memorable b urgers, and offer a tasty cold pint of beer to go with:

- Allan's on the Danforth

- Free Times Cafe on Collage West of Spadina

- Utopia on College in Little Italy

- The Paddock on Bathurst at Queen

The Paddock burger is not on the menu but can be begged for most nights. Very good indeed. Of course there's always the foie gras one at Bymark.

[Edited addendum...]

I can't believe I forgot the burger at the Victory Cafe. Nicely seasoned and accompanied by excellent fries, plus some kind of dill sauce.

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

One of the best burgers that I've ever tasted was at a family party at Auberge du Pommier several years ago. The "adult" food was excellent as one would expect but the kids meals were GREAT!

I used to swear by Lick's until they started to sell their burger and veggie patties in the frozen food department at Dominion Stores. The product is dry and salty and not very beefy tasting. I swear that they now use the same frozen product in their restaurants.

Needless to say, I haven't been back since.

Hear, hear to Allen's burger. Wonderful with a tall one in the back patio.

• 2 weeks later...

i have done this tour for hamburgers across toronto and to many other cities in north america.

in toronto, amont the "burger joints", groucho's may be the best.

dangerous dan's is an experience

but overall, mark mckewan's "burger", really u.s. prime steak that is hand shredded/ ground is the absolute best burger in canada. it costs a lot because of what it comes from, but it is the best/tastiest.

in new york, try the burger joint in the parker meridian hotel on west 57th and it will set new standards for you for burger joints.

also in new york is the "burger experience" at db bistro moderne!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hoping to get a few more details about Allen's. Could someone give me address/contact information for Allans? Ground steak, hand formed? Love to hear more details!

I believe Allen's to be easily the best.  A past employee got me on to his favourite: Medium rare, with Dijon and a thick slab of red onion.  Nothing else.  Plays havoc with your breath, but is truly excellent.

Allen's is on the Danforth east of Broadview on the south side of the street. I always order the burger as I don't think the rest of the food is that great. My favourite burger is at Hair of the Dog on Church at Wood.

• 3 weeks later...

The Burger at jump, if they still have it, is easily as good as the one at ByMark, and for half the price. I have sampled both burgers on multiple occasions, and i can say that my worst jump burger experience is better then my best ByMark experience.

Czehoski on Queen West (just past Bathurst, north side) does a luxe burger too; in their words:

"Two all (organic hand-cut organic sirloin tip) beef patties (mixed with sauteed shallots and garlic, cognac, green peppercorns, Italian black truffle, Dijon, rosemary, panko breadcrumbs and foie gras), red wine braised organic short-ribs, endive, heirloom tomatoes, double smoked bacon, secret (unpasteurized cheese) sauce, capers, pure gold, on a toasted seame seed bun. On a silver platter."

They bill it as the second most expensive burger in town (the first probably being a reference to Bymark). I haven't tried either though.

• 8 months later...

When I am in Toronto and I am paying I get the burger at Jump. When it is on the company credit card or I being treated it is at Bymark. I prefer Jump's room to Bymark. Granted Bymark's bar isnt a bad place to have an order of the mini burgers regardless of who is paying.

When I am in Toronto and I am paying I get the burger at Jump. When it is on the company credit card or I being treated it is at Bymark. I prefer Jump's room to Bymark. Granted Bymark's bar isnt a bad place to have an order of the mini burgers regardless of who is paying.

I was in Toronto last summer and i got to eat at both places and have the burgers. I didn't pay for either as I was being shown about town. Jump burger and the jump fries were a 9.5/10. The mini burgers at Bymark were also great but i tasted them all night long. Does Darlene still manage at Bymark? Pretty blond woman? We used to work together here in Vancouver back in the day.

Tim Keller

Rare Restaurant

tim@rarevancouver.com

Metro Restaurant

timkeller@metrodining.ca

mark is a personal friend of mine,i really love the integrity this man brings to the table in his business

i just cut and pasted the burger on mark menu for all of you to enjoy

remember, the best burger is not allways the best

i remember when i was a young boy growing up in regent park we used to visit the root&burger

nick and his 2 sons with his wife hellen used to make a dandy

anyway here is marks burger at his new venue BYMARK

Bymark Burger 8 oz. U.S.D.A Prime Beef With Brie de Meaux, Grilled Porcini, Shaved Summer Truffles & Crisp Onion Rings

adios amigos ybuenos tardes

chef pelon

mark is a personal friend of mine,i really love the integrity this man brings to the table in his business

Ha! I had the burger there once. They were not using Brie de Maux (called them on it and the chef admitted it) and they were using shavings of black truffle like it was platinum, ie: sparingly to a degree that there was just no point. The burger was fine, there was nothing wrong with it, but I have to assume that the food cost on that thing is very low. That's the problem. You are not getting your money's worth. I would never pay for it again and after that experience (which included some overly expensive bottled water and laughable service), I would never even consider going back there.

Integrity? Look that one up.

Best burger in Toronto is at the Rebel House at Yonge and Rosedale. And you get exactly what the menu says you will get.

Like the Burger Shack at Oriole Parkway and Eglinton. In my hood, so I go there a lot.

Will 2nd Rebel House, my favourite pub.

Near the office is Betty's which is good. Buddy of mine turned me onto..with asiago cheese. Spinach salad on the side.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

South St Burgers in the Home Depot/Best Buy box plaza in Leaside makes a surprisingly good burger.  Its another brand of a chain (NY Fries). 

Limited menu shows attention to burgers.  Wide variety of standard and "gourmet" toppings. 

After 2 visits, I will return.

This is good to know. The crowds there seem to support your view as well.

I was there to get something from Best Buy, but couldn't wait as I was with a cranky 3 year old and the lineups were almost out the door.

Will definitely give it a try...

Thanks,

d.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog