• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

looking for a restaurant in oxfordshire

This is my first post, so I look forward to a friendly and helpful response (which I am assured by a friend who introduced me to egullet I would get).

Can anyone help me with finding a restaurant in Oxfordshire? Specifically, Benson (ideally) or Shillingford (second best)? Or, failing either of those, anything in the general neighbourhood. Preferably English or European.

On the basis that your friend wasn't having a laugh (because to find a decent restaurant in a tiny Oxfordshire village is, let's face it, pretty unlikely, and to get a choice practically impossible) you can find a couple of hotels in Dorchester (the George and the White Hart) that do reasonable food but your best bet is The Goose as Britwell Salome (but it's still a pub).

It does depend on what you mean by restaurant, but there are quite a few good pub/restaurants around Oxfordshire. Many of them are only pub in name and are really restaurants with a bar and possibly more rustic than a true restaurant.

Depending on how far you want to travel other places that are a short journey from Benson include the Beetle&Wedge at Mouslford and the Crooked Billet at Stoke Row, there is also another good pub at North Stoke but I can't remember the name.

The Beetle&Wedge is a hotel and has both restaurant and the Boathouse - which is more of a grill-room (and is cheaper than the restaurant).

During August the Crooked Billet does excellent "Lobster lunches" as well as having a decent selection of good food that does not contain lobster. The only slight problem with the Crooked Billet is that you do need to make sure you get good directions to it beforehand as the roads to it are rather small!

Another place which I haven't been to but I have heard may be quite good is the White Hart at Nettlebed - again I think this has both restaurant and pub food.

Edited by JudyB (log)

On the basis that your friend wasn't having a laugh (because to find a decent restaurant in a tiny Oxfordshire village is, let's face it, pretty unlikely, and to get a choice practically impossible) you can find a couple of hotels in Dorchester (the George and the White Hart) that do reasonable food but your best bet is The Goose as Britwell Salome (but it's still a pub).

I think you are being a bit overly pessimistic here. There are tiny Oxfordshire villages (such as Great Milton) which have pretty decent restaurants. :rolleyes:

You are right about it being mostly pubs though.

I think the one Judy couldn't remember is the Perch & Pike, but its in South Stoke not North Stoke.

The Crooked Billet is definitely worth a visit. It describes itself as a country inn rather than a pub: it doesn't have a bar, but that's because it never had one built, not because they ripped it out for some ghastly modernisation. :raz: Their website has sample menus.

Edited by Duncan (log)

There are tiny Oxfordshire villages (such as Great Milton) which have pretty decent restaurants. :rolleyes:

You are right about it being mostly pubs though.

That definitely crossed my mind as did Bray, albeit in the next county, but the surprise was that Julian had the sort of optimistic naivety which thought there might be more than one in each village. If he'd have said "within 10 miles of Benson or Shillingford" then that's a question for which there is almost certain to be a positive recommendation

The Sir Charles Napier in Chinnor (Sprigg's Alley, actually which is just outside of Chinnor in the middle of nowhere) is outstanding. This is gastro pub-restaurant food at its finest. We were there on a cold winter's night in February and warmed ourselves in front of the fire before sitting down to a delight game menu. They also have an outside area for warmer weather.

Their phone number is 01494 483 011. They are also listed in the Michelin Guide.

Good choice Hallie- that would be the one I would have suggested.

Also, we had a very pleasant stay at the Beetle and Wedge, which I can equally recommend.

Let us know how you get on Julian.

Cheers

B