• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miniatures (50ml) of Good Rums?

jbewley

Lately I've been travelling quite a bit, and I can't quite reach my home liquor cabinet from across the country. I'm usually flying at least 3-4 days a week, so lugging around a half-full 750ml bottle of decent rum doesn't work that well.

I usually toss a few miniatures in my bag before I leave, but here's my dilemma.. I can't find any mid-range to good rums in 50ml miniature form. I've found 50ml Bacardi white, and some spiced rums (Captain Morgans, etc), but I never run across miniatures of brands I like (i.e. Appleton V/X, Mount Gay Extra Old..heck, something like Brugal white would make my year).

Does anyone know of higher-end rums that are available in miniature form? And if so, where you saw them (which state, at least)? I've tried a few online sources (such as internetwines.com) but aside from Admiral Nelson's spiced rum, it was a wash.

If I can figure out where they're available, I'll stock up and be content for a while. I guess I could start refilling old 50ml George Dickel #12 bottles with Appleton V/X, but man, that seems like work. :)

Hi,

By looking in some (German) shops I found the following rums as miniatures

El Dorado (12+15 yo)

Flor de Cana (different age)

Lambs Navy Rum

Sea Wynde

Cacique 500

Matusalem Gran Reserva

Several Cuban Rums (Havana Club, Varadero, ...; but might be difficult to get in the US, though :raz: )

Mount Gay Eclipse

So there is a decent choice of good rums.

But I have no clue where to get them in the US...

Markus

• 5 weeks later...

I am brand new here but I did find a web site that seems to sell a wide varity of the small bottles.

http://www.carib.freeservers.com/cg030001.html

I hope it is alright to put this address on hear.

I have not used them or have any affiliation, only ran across it.

The difference between men & boys is the price of their toys !!

Good miniatures are hard to find, but they are out there. The problem is that they are a pain for the importer, distributor and the retailer.

I carry a flask or two when I'm traveling and am happy with that. A flask also reduces the risk of running out.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi jbewley

I have good news for you.Appleton V/X is now available in miniatures,not sure where they are available in the US but they are all around here in jamaica.A matter of fact i think they have a miniature variety pack.Called the the supplier today and she confirmed.

Regards

Gariel Ferguson

Norma's At The Marina

Port Antonio, Jamaica

• 2 years later...

Through web searching I came across a very nicely presented miniature. It is a 50mL bottle of Pampero Aniversario, and it even has its own miniature leather bag like the full size version. I aquired a 750mL bottle of Pampero recently...still saving it for an occasion since it is so hard to get here. :biggrin:

minipampero.jpg