• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Burger

tommy

Anything and everything about McDonald's and running a McDonald's.  Hamburger University is for new franchisees, company store and franchise managers (though that is now being handled regionally I think) and for corporate managment and support personnel.

History of McDonald's, QSC - Quality Service and Cleanliness, the details of each product in a McDonald's, personnel from hiring, to training to scheduling, to firing, how to order, prep and cook every item on the menu, accounting with the greatest emphasis being placed on inventory control, local marketing, how to use corporate support functions, and working each position in a working McDonald's restaurant.  Probably a lot more that I forgot.

Did I mention I won the "Archie" - top of my class.  Much, much better than I did at the hotel school.

I went through McDonald's Hamburger University, Burger King's Whopper U., and Dunkin' Donuts University.  McDonalds was, by far, the most thorough with the best content and presentation.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I went through McDonald's Hamburger University, Burger King's Whopper U., and Dunkin' Donuts University.  McDonalds was, by far, the most thorough with the best content and presentation

Man I bet you got some cool bumper stickers and sweatshirts out of it though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Quote: from Holly Moore on 11:05 pm on Sep. 10, 2001

...and/or far bigger than the burger.  The McTechnical term for the latter transgression is meat to bun ratio.  

i find it ironic that this would be McTaught at Hamburger U considering that McDonald's is obviously McGuilty of having McTiny patties on a much McBigger bun than McNecessary.  this is why i always order a double burger.

so Holly, how do you like that salamander?  i'm trying to talk the McWife into one.  i'd imagine it works much better than a standard broiler? (which always seem to turn off at some point)

There's a discussion on restaurant ranges on one of the other boards.  I have a garland range with salamander.  Bought it back in the mid-80's.  Love it.  Am guessing that back then the grill and salamander cost me about 2,000.  Could have been less.

My home grill is a cast iron grill I bought at Fante's in Philadelphia's Italian Market.  Just a heavy slab of cast iron with a groove for grease catching running along one edge.  Unfortunately it is sized for home use so it spans between 1 1/2 burners as opposed to two.  With the Garland range it's easy to control heat.  I use it mostly for burgers, hot dogs, finishing off brats and an occasional steak.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

This is a reply to an old old post, but I just wanted to second Steven's praise for steakhouse hamburgers.  I've been over to the Smith and Wollensky's on 52nd & 6th for lunch a couple of times and their burger is pretty #### good for บ.95.  High quality meat, charred & juicy, fresh bun, a mess of thin french fries - I'm a fan.  I admit that I prefer it with cheddar and bacon; I hope this doesn't make me some sort of hamburger infidel for "adulterating" the meat or something like that.

On this topic, where can I get a decent burger and fries to go within 5-6 blocks of my office (I'm in the old Continental Illinois building on 53rd & Madison)?  Do any of those hot food delis in the area cook an especially good burger?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Quote: from Preet Baba on 9:07 am on Aug. 18, 2001

But I'm curious. Anything that's not on a menu gets me interested. Let's say I try to do this. What are the best public transportation strategies from my Midtown East showroom?

Midtown east? If you're close to 42nd street, take the 4 or 5 down to 14th street, then take the L train over to Bedford Avenue. You'll have to walk a little, and will have to ask directions to get your bearing, but it's not far.

However, since I lived next door to Peter Luger's several years ago, I know the J train will take you closer than the L. Take the 6 local down to Canal street, then transfer for the J. The stop you want is the first one over: Marcy Avenue. You will see Peter Luger's when you touch down in Brooklyn (the view from the bridge alone is worth the trip). Again, ask directions when you get off  the train. Enjoy.

• 3 months later...

McHales Tavern -- 46th & 8th -- Best #### burger in the world.

Cozy Soup and Burger -- Broadway at Astor Place -- pretty darned good.

I once read the ingredients for the burgers at 21 Club.  I believe I saw something about duck fat.  Feh.  

2 I've loved recently are Hurley's, at 48th and 8th, and Tavern on Jane in the W. Village. Both do a great burger with a perfect burger to bun ratio and I've never had it cooked other than ordered - medium rare - at either place.  Both have decent fries, though the ones at Hurleys can be outstanding.  

Reading older postings :  you learn, or wake up to something.

Jason, you posted 18 Aug 10:02, "McSorley's", and mentioned Liedenranz cheese plate, do you mean "Liederkranz", and is that cheese still available? Have not seen it in over 25 years.

Peter

I think they are calling it just plain "cheddar" now at McSorleys. But it is a very good white cheddar they serve with the onions, saltines and hot mustard. Goes great with the burger.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Burger musings:  I love hamburgers more than any other single food. Burger Heaven, located in several places has never diappointed me.  I used to order burgers at The Carnegie Deli on rye toast.  They were delicious (haven't eaten there in 6 years though).  The 21 burger was to finely ground for my taste.  It was a disappointment.  Avenue (85th and Columbus) makes a very good bacon cheeseburger and great fries.  White Castles are great when the mood is right.  I used to love the burgers at Grants on 42nd Street (long gone)  These floated about 1/4 inch above the griddle.  A mound of onions long cooked sat on the side.  The sign shouted "Guaranteed 100% all MEAT!).  The smell of the onions stayed on my hands for at least six months.  Even forty years later I sometimes think I can smell them between my fingers.  The burger at Artie's was great when they first opened.  I think it was top broiled.  But now it tastes like it's grilled.  My favorite burger is to buy fresh ground chuck at Ottomanelli's (or other good butchers), make loosely packed patties about the size of a major league baseball slightly flattened, with salt and a little pepper sprinkled in  them when formed.  I broil these on a "Quartzbroil" that has been preheated to the max.  When one side shows a nice crust,I flip them and broil for another 2-3 minutes.  I prefer to eat these on hard rolls or fresh rye toast with raw sliced red oinion and thinck slices of beefsteak tomato. Oh God, I just made myself incredibly hungry!

The City Hall burger is wonderful, not least because it's served on a house-baked bun. Henry Meer has a real knack for preparing foods such that they taste as they did back in the old days. The burger is no exception.

DStone: Cozy Soup & Burger? You mean the place across from where I get my hair cut? The one time I visited the burger arrived about three seconds after I ordered it. It had clearly been par-cooked and had been sitting off to the side of the grill, and was just thrown on for some last-second heat. The fries were chalky. It did not strike me as a place to get a serious burger. Am I wrong?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Shaw -- if you get your hair cut at Astor Place (by Enzo, I hope), that's it.  I've never had anything but great burgers there.  But perhaps next time you should go up to 9th and Bway.  I think the diner's called "Silver Spurs".  I remember a good burger there also.

• 3 weeks later...

Fat Guy's recomendation of City Hall's burger sent me there today.  Absolutely one of the best burgers I've had anywhere.  The house-baked onion roll is delicious, the meat perfectly broiled with a nice outer crust and juicy interior.  Henry Meer greets diners as they leave.  Upon complimenting his burger, he told me that they grind brisket in with chuck and sirloin.  The taste is womnderful. The deluxe comes with a large portion of crispy fries.  Add a tall draft of Stella and you won't find a better lunch!  Thanks Fat Guy for hipping me to this place.  I'll definitely return for a more "serious" meal.

Finally tried the burger at McHale's on 46th and 8th the other night.  It was a revelation.  For one, they actually cooked it the way I asked for it.  Medium rare came with a nice crust on the outside, pink and juicy on the inside.  (However, I must note, if you are looking for dripping all over your plate and soaking your bun juice, this is not that kind of burger.  Much leaner.)  And you could actually taste the beef!  The flavor was so delicious, I almost wished I hadn't dressed it.  Next time i think I will eat it with some salt and maybe a little grilled onion.

i've been wanting to try mchales for something other than too many beers since i heard about their burger.  glad to hear it's as good as i was hoping.

i was having a "best burger" discussion with a friend of mine off-line (it's probably hard to believe, but i have actual conversations with people.  although, the "friend" part is even harder to believe no doubt) and she tells me that JG Melons up on 3rd and 80 whatever has the best hands down.  better than corner bistro, better than my beloved mollys.  has anyone been?  is she on drugs?

apparently, the reviews on Citysearch are mixed. <= Click there!!