• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

THE BEST: Burger

tommy

Corner Bistro sucks , and it will never change. I have gone there at least five times spread out at different times of the day, different months of the year, two or three different years, hoping that it would deserve the praise it gets, and it's always more disapointing than the last time. I will never go there again, and I will continue to rant about how crappy the burgers are.

Cozy sucks, but they give great lingo. :biggrin:

I haven't read the other burger thread in a while, but most of the places don't deserve the pixels it takes to write about them.

I may someday try Wollensky's, but the thought of a $12.00 burger (and it's just sirloin? :angry: ) is hard for me to swallow. Molly's is on my agenda. And maybe the Parker Meridian place. Anyone want to come with?

I may someday try Wollensky's, but the thought of a $12.00 burger (and it's just sirloin? :angry: ) is hard for me to swallow.  Molly's is on my agenda.  And maybe the Parker Meridian place.  Anyone want to come with?

I'll go.

I think it would be great fun to head to a restaurant, armed with pads and pens and start making notes and looking around suspiciously. I bet we'd get GREAT service and food. :wink:

Sherri A. Jackson

:laugh:

We could wear dark shades and hats to make ourselves look more conspicuously inconspicuous. That ceased to look like the right word. :unsure:

Which do you want to go to? Shall we try for an eG thing? I don't think I'm ready for W's yet.

:laugh:

We could wear dark shades and hats to make ourselves look more conspicuously inconspicuous.  That ceased to look like the right word. :unsure:

Which do you want to go to?  Shall we try for an eG thing?  I don't think I'm ready for W's yet.

Perhaps we could arrange an eG thing at Molly's.

Everyone wear :cool:

Sherri A. Jackson

THE place to go for a mind-bending burger in NYC is Corner Bistro, corner of West 4th Street and Jane.  Don't get scared off when you see the line; just grab a beer and join the crowd waiting for a table.  You won't believe how good it is -- one of the few places that actually deserves all the hype it gets.

Hear! Hear! Part of my NYC routine whenver I'm there. Good burger washed down with a cold beer.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

Now comes a topic I can add to, as I am generally frugal and much enamored of comfort food.

I still think you can't beat the burger at McHale's, especially on a value basis. I have to admit, as much as I think Peter Luger's steak is absolute perfection, I was underwhelmed by the hamburger I had at lunch about 3 months ago. It was a bit dry and smallish and sat alone on its microplate engulfed by its bun.

Mind you, we did order it more as a curiosity than anything--we got one for the table and had it come out with the steak (did you seriously think I just ordered a hamburger? :blink: ) And coming hard on the heels of the bacon, it probably suffered a bit by comparison. It wasn't very expensive at all--under $5 I think. But I'd probably not order it again.

Also, in upstate Manhattan in my Inwood-hood, Piper's Kilt has a competitive burger in an appropriately semi-diveish atmosphere.

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

I still think you can't beat the burger at McHale's, especially on a value basis.

ah crap. i was looking for somewhere to eat in that neighborhood today and totally forgot that i've been dying to try this thing.

currents favs:

molly's

S&W

Tavern on Jane (the same as corner bistro and not half has much of a madhouse)

Chumley's (on an english muffin)

blue smoke (everyone is starting to hate this burger. i suppose i've gotten very lucky with them)

THE place to go for a mind-bending burger in NYC is Corner Bistro, corner of West 4th Street and Jane.  Don't get scared off when you see the line; just grab a beer and join the crowd waiting for a table.  You won't believe how good it is -- one of the few places that actually deserves all the hype it gets.

Really. This is good info. Thanks.

Bruce

McHale's is a great burger. I eat there often and love every variation they have, the black bean burger is great and for under $10 it's one of the better deals in Hell's Kitchen. Their specials are usually pretty good to boot. I'd avoid the cheesesteak though it's far too greasey and is, I hate to say it, too large. Also avoid the potato skins, they're pretty awful.

No votes for Prime Burger on East 51st? I've been by this place countless times, but for some reason never go in. At the risk of recommending a $30 hamburger (something I find decidedly anti-american), I like the burger at '21'. At least it's not one of those frankenburgers which seem to be cropping up. A word or two for the good folks at Chumley's: a hamburger should be served on a bun (sweet Jeebus), whenever I've tried to eat a hamburger on an english muffin it's turned into a mess.

Tavern on Jane (the same as corner bistro and not half has much of a madhouse)

Not bad. If they'll give you the onions from the turkey burger, it's a good thing.

Chumley's (on an english muffin)

NO.

Landmark Tavern has been consistently good for me, but I don't think they serve burgers at night.

whenever I've tried to eat a hamburger on an english muffin it's turned into a mess.

have you ever had a burger at the Corner Bistro?

some might suggest that "a mess" is exactly what a burger *should* turn into. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but a mess of crap....

whenever I've tried to eat a hamburger on an english muffin it's turned into a mess.

some might suggest that "a mess" is exactly what a burger *should* turn into. :rolleyes:

a lot of people like both the corner bistro and chumley's. i'm just trying to offer suggestions, rather than ripping apart others'.

Yeah, Seems like there are a lot opinionated people around here. FIle me under the LOVE the corner bistro set.

But even if I didnt, if I felt the need to critique, I'd do so fairly and not just take pot shots.

I think it's silly to travel for a burger -- or much of anything, for that matter -- so I am very happy that the one at Le Zinc (Duane Street in Tribeca) is as good as it is: big, juicy, cooked perfectly, on a good onion roll, topped with terrific bacon and excellent cheddar, and accompanied with usually-perfect fries. (Oddly enough, I have never tried the burger at City Hall, which is a few steps closer. :raz: )

The best burger I've ever had was at the The Terrace at Melrose, the outdoor cafe at The Stanhope hotel (995 Fifth Avenue--right across from the Metropolitan Museum). It was $20 and worth every penny. Good fries, too.

a lot of people like both the corner bistro and chumley's. i'm just trying to offer suggestions, rather than ripping apart others'.

Oooh SNAP!

Burgers are one of my favorite foods, and I feel strongly about them. I know burger meat, and Bistro doesn't have it. Neither does Chumley's. They're big, they're messy, but they're blase as all hell. A good burger has to have good meat, good technique, or both. In all the burgers I've had at both those places, they've come up with regret only.

No pot shots, just a strong opinion. :smile:

no -- that would be meatloaf

Of all the over-hyped, over-rated things in NYC, the Corner Bistro burger has got to be pretty close to the top of the list. Right up there with John's pizza, S&W steak, Carnegie Deli pastrami, and Aureole.

CB uses crap meat, and crap in means crap out.

The burgers at Wollensky's Grill are very good. Elyse reminds me that Landmark Tavern is also good, as is McHales. I love JG Melon, but perhaps I am too lost in memories of my youth to judge it objectively. 21 is expense-account, but fun.

Of all the over-hyped, over-rated things in NYC, the Corner Bistro burger has got to be pretty close to the top of the list.  Right up there with John's pizza, S&W steak, Carnegie Deli pastrami, and Aureole.

they're pretty fucking good at 1 am. :biggrin:

i will say that i like Tavern on Jane better for that particular style (and neighborhood). but no one seems to mention them, so i just say Corner Bistro to make it easy.

i wonder what kind of meat Jackson Hole uses? lobel seems to like it. :hmmm: