• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine -- From Vinyard to Table in 39 installments

Chad

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I'm enthralled by the series "GRAPE" in the San Fransico Chronicle. Very cool coverage in an unconventional (these days) format. I like it.

I found it through an article in Editor & Publisher:

What do California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and a Mexican bordello have in common?

Would you believe a winery?

That is one of the many fascinating degrees of separation that emerge from an unusual multi-part series running in the San Francisco Chronicle. It follows the two-year creation of a single bottle of wine -- from grapevine to uncorking.

This is hardly the typical newspaper package on a local industry's impact on the community. For starters, this series, titled simply "Grape," is running an unheard of 39 days, which began on April 4 and will conclude May 26.

In addition, the stories -- written by veteran Bay Area journalist Mike Weiss and spanning 70,000 words -- go beyond the usual profit-and-loss angle of most business reports.

"The wine industry is California's symbolic product," says Weiss, 61, who spent 18 months researching the series and another four months writing it. "If you look at it the right way, you can see the California story in a bottle of wine."

For the story about the story, see this article in Editor & Publisher.

The entire series is available on the SF Chronicle website.

Is anyone else following this?

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

• 3 weeks later...