• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Cantonese(Chinese) NY restaurants recommendations?

SteveW

I was speaking to a friend recently. This person had lived in NYC for a period. I was asking her, which Cantonese chinese restaurants in NYC would she recommend for me. She told me that are none great Cantonese chinese restaurants in NYC. I should of preface by saying, that she left NYC around 7-8 years ago, but she still keeps in touch with friends in NYC.  And she does know her Cantonese food(she's living in Hong Kong now).

Does anyone here, who can recommend  a top-notch NYC Cantonese restaurant for excellent food? I would appreciate any suggestions.

------

Steve

I happen to like Ping's at 22 Mott St. for both regular cantonese and dim sum a lot.

However if you can bear it to make a trip across the GW bridge to Fort Lee, I happen to think for Hong-Kong style seafood and dim sum, Silver Pond is gotta be tops on my list in the entire tri state area. I have brought all my asian friends there and they have told me in many ways it is better than what you may find in Chinatown.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

If I were living in Hong Kong, the LAST THING I'd look for in New York would be a Cantonese restaurant! That's like coming from Siena and looking for great Tuscan food in New York, or coming from Nice and looking for great Provencale food in New York. Why would you expect to get Cantonese food in New York that's as good as Cantonese food in Hong Kong? You shouldn't and, therefore, it shouldn't surprise you that she didn't find any great Cantonese restaurants in New York. That said, Canton on Division St. is a good restaurant, though not cheap. If you don't mind spending some โ-60 for dinner, you can have a pleasant time there.

Michael aka "Pan"

>Clarification for Pan. My friend lived in NYC, before ever going to Hong Kong.

I see.

> Nevertheless, your suggestion of Canton is noted(Thanks for the suggestion).

You're welcome. Have Eileen, the proprietor/hostess, help you order. She'll ask you what you like and recommend things.

Michael aka "Pan"

You might look at my Lunch and Dinner in Chinatown post and the thread that follows. We did not enjoy our dinner at Ping's on Mott Street. Dim Sum Go Go, on East Broadway, turns out to be much more than just a great dim sum restaurant. The chef, as I understand, is from Hong Kong and the food is excellent. I'm not an expert, but the food seems to be Cantonese or Hong Kong style cuisine.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

What about the Sweet-n-Tart restaurant? This restaurant has come up often in recent years from the food press. I think it opened after my friend left New York City.  Is it Cantonese or HK-style cuisine(not quite sure what's that suppose to mean).

------

Steve

Hong Kong is an island (with some mainland territory) just off the coast of Canton province and not very far from the city of Canton. I would say that for the most part it's food is Cantonese, but both its separateness before it was ceded back to China and it's cosmopolitan population as well as its history of international trade and tourism have left it open to outside influence, experimentation and change. Than again, I don't know much about Chinese food and at best that's a simplification, if at all correct.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Bux, I'm certainly aware of Hong Kong(my brother moved to Hong Kong 2+ years ago). What I'm unsure was the term Hong Kong-style restaurant. Before reading your message above, my brother called from Hong Kong. As usual, we spent most of our conversation talking about food/restaurants. I did ask him about Hong Kong-style restaurant. He told me that these are updated Chinese restaurants(usually Cantonese),  that are influenced by western cuisine.  Usually, attract more of the younger set.

Thanks for NYC Cantonese restaurants suggestions so far. I'll probably speak to my friend in Hong Kong later this week & tell her about the restaurant suggestions mentioned here.

-------

Steve

I'm sorry, I wasn't attempting to give a geography lesson, just a reference to my thinking when I refer to Hong Kong style. I'm pleased to hear that your brother's information is not out of line with what I have assumed Hong Kong style to be. In fact Canton is no longer referred to as Canton, but I get confused between the two names for the province and the city which are now slightly different.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

The city is Guangzhou and the province is Guangdong -- both are romanizations of the real pronounciations, so there are probably other ways to spell them.  As I understand it, "Canton" was the British phonetic version of the same sound.

(Edited by sng sling at 6:32 pm on Dec. 31, 2001)

Yes, I didn't mean to say the name was changed, just the "official" pronunciation, or more acurately the official romanization.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable