• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BYOW

Culatello

I haven't been to A'los yet and I would like to know if it is worth the trip seeing I've been getting some mixed reviews from some people .

I'm not a big fan of BYOW but I do enjoy going to La Colombe and Le Petit Plateau

the food is good.

So going back to my point does A'Los fit in this categorie of BYOW.

Is it worth the trip

Con il melone si mangia , beve e si lava la facia

My Nonno Vincenzo 1921-1994

I'm craving the perfct Gateau Foret Noire .

A L'Os is a bit more upscale, and certainly more expensive, than La Colombe.

I thought the food was uneven, but maybe things have shaped up since I reviewed the place in the winter.

I, for one maybe, really like Les Infideles. Same owner as A L'Os, but the food is much better, and they have a nice cheese course, essential for BYOW restos IMO.

A l'os is a nice restaurant...However, I find the food a tiddy bit on the pricey side. Yes, the filet mignon was very good...but on the other hand, the lamb shank did not cut it ! On top of that, they go with the sidedish formula such as Queue de cheval (and others), so you can get clipped !

Because of these inconsistencies, La Colombe is still ahead.

After Lesley had reviewed a'los in the winter, I visited the next day, really liked the food, but found the choice of 10 waters ridiculous and the lack of decor awfull. There was nothing to entertain your eyes with, just 4 white walls.

However the filet mignon and salmon with crab mash potatoe were excellent. :smile:

I was pleased with my evening A l'Os, it's not your typical BYOW place menu wise and price structure. It's pricy but if you bring a really nice expensive wine bottle that you would otherwise buy ina similar resto, then it is worth visiting. The lack of decor is not really a question of blandness, I think they could have had flame throwing waiters if they wanted... They just really seem to pay attention to sincere minimalism. My lamb shank was a winner. The service was excellent. My father went there couple of weeks ago, he goes to La Colombe a lot and is not big on trendy restos and he really liked his dinner. It's a good meat and fish spot, as far as I am concern, I'd give them my paycheck anytime before a place like Queue de Cheval for example...

Another point to, their choice of ambient music is amazing, real underground.

Actually my biggest complaint about AL'Os is the ventilation system. I was there twice on crowded nights, sitting in a cloud of smoke. Those guys will have to eventually turn on the hood. Maybe they already have. Hope so, I came home smelling like a grilled veal chop.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have never really been a huge byob fan but decided to give a l'os a try last night with a friend. We both enjoyed the signature bone-in filet mignon but the real focus of our meal was the wine. I brought along a '97 Mondavi Special Reserve Cabernet and my friend brought a '95 Caymus. When you think that the wine alone would have cost more than $1,000 at any restaurant that carries them, dinner was a steal. (btw. Queue de Cheval has the Mondavi on their website for a mere $600 a bottle!).

I don't think that I would go to a byob with a bottle of Cuvee du Depanneur to save a few bucks but I thought that the meal last nice was a great compliment to 2 fantastic bottles of wine.

• 2 weeks later...
...(btw. Queue de Cheval has the Mondavi on their website for a mere $600 a bottle!)....

Ouch...considering winebid.com pegs the Mondavi for US$80-110 and assuming 100% duty to bring it back on a day trip to your wine locker across the line (or local FedEx depot south of the 49) still only gets you to US$200 - so $600 looks very unsightly. I recall it was less than $100 on release. I still have a bottle of each. Do you think they need any time?

officially left egullet....