• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbuto

Daniel

Hey just got back from chitown, leaving for china for a couple of weeks, so i am trying to get as many italian meals in before thursday. This girl i know told me that arbuto is worth trying. Has anyone been there? Is it spending one of my last italian meals before i go?

I ate here recently and was not dissapointed. Yet, would this be the last Italo-American meal I would eat before heading to China? I would more strongly recco the restaurant Bianca on Bleeker Street and Cesca on the Upper Westside.

Word thank you for the info. Yeh i have a trip to giorgione planned tomorrow and might hit up cesca thursday for lunch before the flight. A lot of my friends have had nothing but good things to say about cesca.(the same ones who didnt like landmarc). This girl told me a story about the owner sitting in the customs office in italy eating his raw milk cheese before they confiscated it. With love like that, its gotta be good.

After a couple year hiatus, I've been to Il Buco (Bond between Lafayette and Bowery) twice in the last month. It's been very good. Also drank great Umbrian wine--rosso di montefalco and sagrantino--for a bargain.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

• 1 month later...

Had an AWESOME meal at Barbuto last week, which included perfectly fresh shaved asparagus with pecorino; spicy clams with straticella (sp? A small pearl-like pasta?; grilled softshells with aioli that I'm still craving; fabulous juicy chicken; big grilled scallops; and a lovely lemon tart. Also a great 2002 vin d'alsace pinot auxerrois that was a perfect complement to the food, with a melony palate and a nose of lychees and pear. Prices were quite reasonable, and our server was both friendly and talented.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

Sounds cool, Sara. Are you sure you don't mean stracciatella? Were the clams and the pasta in a broth? The only pasta with which I am familiar that I would describe as "pearl-like" is fregula from Sardegna.

--

Yes, that's it exactly-in a small broth. Thanks.

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

I dined at Barbuto a few weeks ago. Within :30 seconds of sitting at the bar,

6 oz's of Chili Marinated Skirt Steak were placed in front of us. The steak was a bit overdone but they get major points for the gesture. Great start.

The menu was simple yet stimulating. Tons of intriguing seasonal choices. I also started with the Asparagus with Pecorino Salad which was lovely. The mixture of white and green Asparagus worked so well with the salty Pecorino. For an entree, I opted for a simply grilled Black Fish, an indigenous fish to our waters (in the spring) but one I rarely see on menus. Two very large filets were prepared simply with Olive Oil and salt. Fish was cooked properly allowing the obvious freshness to shine. Simple side of Broccoli Rabe was exemplary.

We ate around 9pm on a rainy Monday night. Every table was full. That being said, I prefer eating at the bar and we had no problem bellying up for dinner. Ive walked by Barbuto on numerous nights when the place is a zoo, super crowded and noisy. Although I had an excellent meal, in my mind, Barbuto is not a destination dining spot. Like Giorgione, if Im in the area, I make a point of stopping by. Maybe once the hype dies down it will be a little easier to just walk in and grab a bite? I for one, certainly hope so.

"Your girlfriend is a vegetarian, tell her she should eat rabbit...they're vegetarians too" Ali

• 1 year later...

The place is crowded and noisy on a sunday night. At 9 pm, my friend and I were relegated to the bar as we were told that the waiting list for a table is really long. The service wasn't exactly world class, but it didn't bother me on a sunday night when I didn't have anywhere to be at except people watching.

Food wasn't bad either...Tuna tartar was okay, although not as fresh as I would like it. My friend's calamari was well executed, but lacked balance in flavors. Similarly, the languini with shrimp that I ordered lies on the bland side, but sound technique wise, and my friend was happy with his pork chops.

Dessert like the main meal was good but unexciting. Don't go expecting culinary cartwheels and you won't be disappopinted.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.