• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St George's Mushrooms

I've noticed St George's Mushrooms on the menu at St John, and mentioned in Rowley Leigh's column in the weekend FT.

I was wondering whether anyone knows any grocer or market in the London area that happens to be selling them to the general public this week? One catch: I'm looking to buy them tomorrow (Wednesday), so I can't rely on the mushroom place at Borough Market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by Stigand (log)

Moen and sons in Wandsworth have (I think) the same supplier as the peeps from Borough - you should call first.

Saw some perfect morels and chantrelles in Harvey Nicks the other day (so they might also have what you're looking for).

Hope this helps.

Edited by MobyP (log)

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Booth at Borough Market used to have a place on St Andrew's Hill between Carter Lane and Queen Victoria St. I think the present owners still know the Boothpeople, and can get mushrooms from them. You might give them a try.

W.

I've noticed St George's Mushrooms on the menu at St John, and mentioned in Rowley Leigh's column in the weekend FT.

I was wondering whether anyone knows any grocer or market in the London area that happens to be selling them to the general public this week? One catch: I'm looking to buy them tomorrow (Wednesday), so I can't rely on the mushroom place at Borough Market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

We call this the Seta de San Jorge, and they're really quite easy to find yourself, not like truffles for example.

Why don't you buy a book and go look for some?

We call this the Seta de San Jorge, and they're really quite easy to find yourself, not like truffles for example.

Why don't you buy a book and go look for some?

I love mushroom hunting, although I'm no expert. I mainly pick parasols (macrolepiota procera) because that's all I can generally find. I've never tried in Spring before because I think St George's Mushroom is the only worthwhile mushroom that grows in the UK in the spring, whereas in autumn if you miss one species, you're likely to get something else.

Interesting site- thank you! I liked the look of the suckling pig, although I have no idea of whether the price (£110) is good or not.

I couldn't find St George's Mushrooms, but perhaps they've sold out. D'you mind if I ask how much they cost per kg?

PS: Steve Martin: I had a look at your website too: love the pictures.

Edited by Stigand (log)

Hi Stigand,

I tend to be a bit brief on egullet, so here's the full story.

Give the chefclub a phone call on any foodie need (Michel Roux Jr. tells us so)

They are hopeless at updating their website, being primarily a restaurant supply, shout your order down the phone, sort of place.

01275 475252

I'm not sure what he said for the St. Georges now, around £7 something for 250 gram.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't think much of the St. Georges. I'll stick to foreign names in future :wink:

The Chef Club have just sent out an email offering free morels to members! I've ordered some turbot, because they say it is at its best now.

They also say they supplied Alice Waters with ingredients for her Manoir sessions. I hope she liked the St. Georges.