• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Churros

ExtraMSG

ExtraMSG, its 11 am, I am starving (trying to hold out until 11:30 for lunch) and these large pictures of your churros are more than I can stand. They look delicious, and ready for some sugar. Thanks for posting them.

Heavy cream.

What sucks is that I'm on a diet (gained 20 lbs in 10 days on a recent trip eating Mexican food, pizza, and ice cream), so the most I could do was chew them and spit them out like that Sex in the City episode in LA. It's amazing how a little bit of cinnamon sugar perfects them, too.

Much better tip. You could'a' brought me some. You really coud'a'. (I'm teasing.) They look great Nick! :smile:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Much better tip. You could'a' brought me some. You really coud'a'. (I'm teasing.) They look great Nick! :smile:

You know who has an excellent selection of tips in town? In Good Taste. Probably 40 or 50 that you can buy individually. I first went to Kitchen Kaboodle because they have good parking, but they sell everything for pastry making except the tips. Stupid. Sur La Table didn't have the selection I was looking for either. Then I went to In Good Taste and they had this litle box with 10s of little drawers each with a different tip. They have a board with samples of what each tip can make, too. For such a small store, and a local store, I do find a lot of good stuff there.

I used to pretty much live there. Especially once I started getting serious about pastry. It's really bad when you walk into a shop and instead of asking if they can help you find something, they just give you a nod and a "Hey, You...". :cool:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I haven't been in there as much lately, but there used to always be an attractive somewhat voluptuous part-time pastry chef working the counter that I had seen so many times she just gave me the nod. So I've certainly been there. What's bad, too, is that I always feel obligated to at least buy something small if I've spent hours bugging them. So it always costs me money to hang out.

To keep this on topic: churros rock.

Yeah, we should probably continue our discussion by e-mailing direct. I had a cutie-pie chef there for awhile that was telling me that I didn't really need culinary school and when I ordered dessert, I would get a little extra. When I was done this second plate just kind of whizzed around in front of me with a white jacket passing by behind me. I think he just liked to watch me eat.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

I made the churros following the recipe posted by ExtraMsg on Recipegullet. They were great!! I made half the recipe for Sunday breakfast--no harder than pancakes, BTW. I followed the recipe exactly, with the heavy cream. I fried in canola oil to which I added just a squirt of olive oil, for some attempt at authenticity. Yum Yum Yum! :laugh: Thanks a lot!

For Mexican "authenticity", corn oil or lard, too, possibly. btw, I made them at my dad's house the other night with my 4 year old niece "helping". I did them in olive oil (that's all they had) and because I didn't have a thermometer and the lower smoke point, they browned way quicker. The result wasn't as good because by the time they were very brown they weren't quite as crispy on the outside.

Glad they worked for you!

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

• 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread, but deep fried pastry is timeless, right?

I'm in the mood for something fried on my next dessert menu and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with holding the dough. Does it have to be fried right away or can it be kept in the fridge for a day or two and fried to order? Or maybe piped onto parchment squares, frozen, then fried directly from the freezer? My fryer is pretty small so I would worry about the temperature drop, but it might be worth it to avoid having line cooks try to pipe to order. :wacko:

Thanks for any input.

Andrea

I realize this is an old thread, but deep fried pastry is timeless, right?

I'm in the mood for something fried on my next dessert menu and I am wondering if anyone has any experience with holding the dough.  Does it have to be fried right away or can it be kept in the fridge for a day or two and fried to order?  Or maybe piped onto parchment squares, frozen, then fried directly from the freezer?  My fryer is pretty small so I would worry about the temperature drop, but  it might be worth it to avoid having line cooks try to pipe to order.    :wacko: 

Thanks for any input.

Andrea

I don't think frying directly from the freezer would work. I attended a demo last month where someone attempt to do that with choux paste and they didn't expand at all - they were like little bricks. I don't know about holding it in the fridge.