• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alborz in Austin

theabroma

A while ago there was some discussion about the population of Middle Eastern restaurants in Austin ... and I think that it got mixed up with another Austin food thread.

When I was there 2 weeks ago I just missed getting to go to Alborz. Have any of you intrepid eater/researcher types been? And what's the verdict? Good? Indifferent? Expensive? And where else do you like to go??

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum

We have been there a number of times, although not probably in the last six months. (Don't read anything into our absense; there are just lots of good choices in Austin).

Although we've been both for the lunch buffet and a la carte dinner I prefer lunch, not because I'm a "how much food can you get for your $$" but because I like all the choices at lunch.

Our verdict is very pleasant, good value, good but not great food and a place we wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

We have been there a number of times, although not probably in the last six months. (Don't read anything into our absense; there are just lots of good choices in Austin).

Dude! Do Not Rub It In! I'm trying to get back there as fast as I can. Austin is many wonderful things, but it is a truly wonderful food town!!!! Thanks for the info.

Theabroma

I enjoy Ararat on Duval, only because it's been around forever, and it feels like you are sitting in a tent when you are inside. If you are claustrophobic, this place is NOT for you!

The food is great there, I think.

Haven't been to Alborz, although I keep meaning to go...

I love Ararat, too, and so does my brother (who lives in Austin).

I have to come down in about 2 weeks to finalize arrangements for a catering gig in June. So as not to commit and vanish, I will - with your permission - call you from some kolatch ranch in West, and maybe we can meet with anyone else available and curious to give Alborz a try.

Austin has always had such a population of Iranians - that's where I first learned to cook Persian food - and I was always so frustrated that there were so many good cooks, and they never opened a restaurant!!!

Regards,

Theabroma

I ate at Alborz a little more than a year ago with a large group - no expectations and I found the food to be better than average - as I recall, my dish was chicken with a pomegranate sauce, quite tasty, and I remember remarking on the excellent baba ganouj.

On the other hand, my foray to Ararat was with high expectations that were not met - the service was iffy, and the food was so-so. However, that could have been our choice of dishes, and not applicable to the menu as a whole.

Theobroma, will you be in town for our tapas foray at Foodie52's on the 13th?

I have not been to Alborz, all though I've been meaning to check it out on the recommendation of a friend.

I have been to Ararat, and I really enjoyed it. I second the comment about feeling like you are inside a tent. :biggrin: It's byob, so if you go, take a bottle of wine and they will provide the wine opener and glasses for a nominal fee (this is great when you are with several people and the price of drinks normally might add up). Also, reservations are recommended b/c the place is small.

Theobroma, will you be in town for our tapas foray at Foodie52's on the 13th?

I will know next week. Depends on my teaching schedule, which can be somewhat whimsical. I would love to, though.

And in the interests of an internationl bellyache, I'd love to give Alborz a shake.

Is it just humid as all get out down there?

Theabroma

IIt's byob, so if you go, take a bottle of wine and they will provide the wine opener and glasses for a nominal fee (this is great when you are with several people and the price of drinks normally might add up). Also, reservations are recommended b/c the place is small.

I probably shouldn't even admit this, but ... we all thought it was so grand when liquor by the drink became legal in Texas - only to learn that the way the licensing laws had been set up, it was difficult to damn near impossible to take a bottle of wine with you to dinner, pay corkage, and have a nice meal without, as you put it so well, get smacked by drink prices. There IS a silver lining in the BYOB 'cause we don't have a license cloud!

Theabroma

Luggage and I tried Alborz two summers ago, I think... We liked it just fine; we did the lunch buffet to try to get a decent sampling of their dishes, and everything was perfectly enjoyable. Too bad it's been so long that I can't remember anything in detail! We'd definitely be up for another excursion there, though...

An odd alien wench

Shoot me in a swing, I had no idea it had been open that long!

Well, what's up for other kinds of middle eastern in Austin these days? Any Turkish places? Israeli? I know about Ararat, and love it, but am kinda in the dark (obviously!) about the rest.

Theabroma

Any Turkish places?

Hah, Sharon... this is getting to be like that Groundhog Day movie! That question you posed was exactly the impetus for the Turkish potluck we had back in January! :biggrin:

An odd alien wench

Any Turkish places?

Hah, Sharon... this is getting to be like that Groundhog Day movie! That question you posed was exactly the impetus for the Turkish potluck we had back in January! :biggrin:

Acccck! Fitz! I could say that hope springs eternal and someone heard the need and responded ... or, maybe it's just time for me to get an MRI????!!!!!

Theabroma

PS: See, that's what I get for not being able to come.

I've been to Alborz a couple of times, once the lunch buffet, once dinner off the menu. Both times were fine, but not particularly memorable.

I much preferred the days when they were selling kebobs out of a mall food-court taco stand. The focus seemed to help the quality of the food, and the prices were (as I recall) notably lower.

Still, I don't think you're likely to be too disappointed.

Andrew Riggsby

ariggsby@mail.utexas.edu

I really enjoy the food at Alborz. I eat there every month or so. I really enjoy the lamb kebabs (not on the menu) with the zareshk polo (saffron rice with sour dried berries-- cannot remember the name right now); also the appetizers are wonderful---shirazi salad (tomato, cucumber, with lemon and olive oil); hummus; dolmas, etc.

the lunch buffet is great as well, gives you a chance to sample a variety of the rice dishes and khoreshes.

I highly recommend going to Alborz. FYI, there is a belly dancer on saturday nights if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Enjoy!

Maddie