• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 2

Gustatorian

Five pages of posts already? I think eG'ers are the only ones really watching the show and the only reason we watch this train wreck is so we can discuss here the next day. Who else watches this crap other than desperate single women who would travel from LA to NY for a Rocco sighting? I can't discuss anywhere other than here because everyone in the real world when you mention the show says "What?" like they have no idea what you're talking about. And while I'm at it, can that little intern boy get his nose any further up Chodorow's butt? He is just a happy little camper rootin' around there, isn't he? :biggrin:

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

God Bless Mama, I say. La regina de la cucina. She is the embodiment of everything Rocco told us that his restaurant would represent; old-world charm, tradition and values. She was unrattled when confronted by the decidedly unorganic Linda Chodorow, beating back the collagen by offering, "we don't need. We better off ourselves". It's cosa nostra. We started it. If there's a problem we'll fix it. If we can't fix it, then we'll work harder, if we still can't fix it, then we learned a lesson. Having Jeffrey the Chodorow and his crew swoop in to sweep up is about as foreign a concept to her as marriage counseling. Call it blind faith, call it blissful ignorance, call it whatever that is that lets a mother beam with pride while little Billy pounds out his excruciating rendition of "Greensleeves" at his first piano recital.

And Linda Chodorow as henchperson. Here's my take on how that went down:

"Oh Jefffeeee. Remember last time you said this time you would put me on the sho-wee wo-wee."

"Not now dear. I'm going over the proposal for this new space station caviar bar".

"But I'll play paddycakey with Mr. Winky."

"I told you not to call it that. His name is Vince."

"But isn't Mr. Vincey wonewy?"

"Alright. Alright. I'll get you on the show."

At one point in the episode, Chodorow mentioned that he had spent US$4 million starting the restaurant.  If that's true, and assuming (this is a wild guess) that he can resell the property for $3 million, that means that by the time he stormtrooped into the place, he was out $1,600,000.  Frankly, I was rooting for him.  If that had been my investment capital, I would have been up Rocco's ass about six weeks into the operation.

As the controller of a small, but very busy cash generating restaurant, I think I have a bit of insight into how the numbers work. Mr. Chowderhead might be a bit too busy himself for the daily report, but undoubtedly someone in that organization or in the Briefcase Brigade of accountants that seem to always be at his heels was in charge of the daily cash position of the restaurant. The invoices don't enter themselves into the accounting program and the checks don't get generated as if by magic. SOMEONE has that job. Whether it's an entry level bookkeeper who answers to one of the Briefcase Brigade, or a CPA who's only job is to oversee that restaurant out of Chowderow's stable of investments, SOMEONE has been asleep at the wheel if it's this out of hand. If no one is approving the purchase of sterling flatware for a place that serves food in cardboard, well, I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for either side's whining and moaning at this late date. What happens when the numerous monthly and quarterly tax payments come due? Who's making sure that the credit card portion of the sales are accurately making their way into the bank account? Who's making sure the payroll is getting reviewed and the employer taxes are getting paid? Who's making sure the credit card portion of the waiter's tips is transferred to the payroll account so if the restaurant were to close tomorrow they wouldn't get sued for not paying those monies to the waitstaff? Who's making sure the cash sales minus any paid outs are equalling the cash deposits and that money isn't simply disappearing along the way? :hmmm:

It isn't about being up the chef's ass, it's about sound fiscal management and oversight. Chowderow has owned enough restaurants for enough years to know better than to let shit get this out of hand (if indeed it is as out of hand as it's being described and isn't just for the camera's benefit) before "stormtrooping" the place. And if he did let it get this out of hand then he has no one to blame but himself.

And Rocco is just an ass. He's reaping what he sowed by entering into this Faustian deal in the first place. I hope he thinks it's worth what was once a stellar reputation. Now he's just a punch line. He earned it.

katieloeb, if you work (or worked) at Rouge restaurant in Philadelphia, then this should be a familiar situation for you, as I know the restaurant group that includes Rouge, Avenue B, the Striped Bass and others has recently had similar troubles. How did you deal with your unfortunate situation? Would you describe Neil Stein as an older version of Rocco (without the whole chef thing)? :hmmm:

there are always 3 sides to every story:

my side

your side

and the truth

And no one is lying, shared memories serve each person differently

katieloeb, if you work (or worked) at Rouge restaurant in Philadelphia, then this should be a familiar situation for you, as I know the restaurant group that includes Rouge, Avenue B, the Striped Bass and others has recently had similar troubles.  How did you deal with your unfortunate situation?  Would you describe Neil Stein as an older version of Rocco (without the whole chef thing)? :hmmm:

Hi:

I don't think it's appropriate for me to respond in depth about the troubles at Rouge (which were well documented in the press ad nauseam) in a public forum. Airing my employer's dirty laundry that way would be pretty damned disrespectful and I don't think it would serve any useful purpose other than gossip. Whatever anyone may say about my employer, my relationship with him has always been repectful and professional. I intend to keep it that way.

I am dealing with the "unfortunate situation" as you've called it, on a daily basis. As part of the court ordered agreements that allow Rouge to emerge from the bankruptcy (all of which are part of the public record) I am making certain that the appropriate payments are made in a timely fashion to the appropriate creditors. That's a big part of my job. It's challenging, often frustrating, sometimes incredibly time consuming, but has made me a far better manager and is a skill set that future employers will benefit from as well, whether they are under similar financial constraints or not. Learning how to operate under the financial constraints that I have prior to the closing of Avenue B., the sale of Striped Bass and the emergence of Rouge from bankruptcy has been of incalculable value in teaching me the finer points of fiscal responsibility and the proper way to run a restaurant. Those lessons were the basis for my previous post about Rocco's.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Good for you, Katie.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Grand poobah Perlow and I were IMing during the show the other day, and in the fashion of bored nerdy types were playing a "Restaurant Drinking Game".

I can't recall all of our witicisms, but basically the formula was:

Take a sip every time...

Gulp every time...

Finish the glass when...

The point being that the sips should be things which happen a lot but may be kind of meaningless, the gulps should be those less frequent but more over-the-top things, and the gulps are like... the big closers.

Wait, I'll try one.

Take a sip every time Rocco leers at a woman

Gulp every time a Chowderhead flunky rolls their eyes at some example of Rocco overspending

Finish the glass whenever you see a shot of Momma looking confused or put upon.

You will be stinking drunk by the end of the show. Although frankly if I were deep into my cups right now while writing this, no doubt it would be much funnier. Or at least seem so to me.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Good for you, Katie.

Thanks Jinmyo. Appreciate the props. Although I often feel like the guy on the old Ed Sullivan show who was trying to keep all the plates spinning at once without letting anything crash to the ground, as I said, this is all an excellent learning experience in keeping the restaurant functional and up to date with our creditors - both the past ones that are due adminstrative claims from the bankruptcy and the present ones that drop off products and services at the doorstep every day. That and making payroll and making certain the appropriate funds are transferred or sequestered (e.g. like gift certificate sales) is my full time job. Well - that and taking care of the beverage ordering and cost control. I like to think of myself as a spreadsheet geek with a taste for beverage management!

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

:laugh:

Jon, that game looks like the only way I could watch this thing without wanting to scream or throw things or bite people thereafter! Damn NBC for putting this show on a Monday night -- I can't dare get that plowed-under if I have to work the next day.

Obviously I need to start a letter/email-writing campaign to NBC to put this show on Friday night.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

Katie, allow me to also congratulate you. Grace under fire is noble. Cheers, goodheart!!!

Thank you. :blush:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

There are conspiracy theories popping up on other discussion boards that The Restaurant is not actually a reality show, but is scripted, and based on a restaurant that was in NYC, Cafe Alyss. Since this is where the foodies come to discuss this show, I thought I'd ask if any of you have heard this or see any similarities?

There are conspiracy theories popping up on other discussion boards that The Restaurant is not actually a reality show, but is scripted, and based on a restaurant that was in NYC, Cafe Alyss.  Since this is where the foodies come to discuss this show, I thought I'd ask if any of you have heard this or see any similarities?

Certain portions of the show are undoubtably "directed" if not scripted. Sometimes maybe closer than we suspect. Meaning things like this go on: "hey guy, go over to that table and when you come back tell all of your coworkers in a loud voice what the people at that table were talking about".

Also, as always, editing plays a role--although not as big a role as some people might complain about when they seem to come off badly on these shows.

As far as it being "based" on another restaurant, I'm not quite sure how that would work. At this point this show is about a guy who opened a restaurant, got too famous, and neglected it. That plot requires that the person actually become that famous, at a bare minimum, even if the neglect was faked or exaggerated.

If the comments are about Season 1 and not Season 2... again there are problems. The show then was about opening a restaurant in 6 weeks (which they basically did on camera) and later about a bunch of idiot workers bickering on camera instead of doing their jobs. Although that bickering was probably mostly fake, it certainly was a product of the setup they were in and not easily transferable from some other existing restaurant.

So I'm still very confused about that claim. Sure they may be lying and faking left and right... but that's not the same as telling some fictionalized retelling of the story of another restaurant. Also, clearly, the restaurant does exist, and at least some of it's problems are documented in the public record (with legal documents).

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

There are conspiracy theories popping up on other discussion boards that The Restaurant is not actually a reality show, but is scripted

I agree with jhlurie, a lot in this show is directed, but the truth is that Rocco has a restaurant, and real people go there to eat (I know a couple of people that went there and hated it). But yes, a lot of things just happen because NBC benefits from it. Think about it, why would the owners discuss the future of the restaurant, talking about firing people and all while in the restaurant Seems innapropriate at best.

Also, I'm sure Mr. Chadorow (sp?) is not really loosing a lot of money. I mean, sure, the restaurant is, but he has to have an agreement with NBC or sponsors or something. He seems to be a very smart man. Let's face it, if there were no show, Rocco would not be the chef anymore. In any case, I hope they do ger rid of him (makes every chef in the world look bad by his attitude) and hire somebody competent. Even if that means that the show gets cancelled for lack of drama.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

I don't think it would serve any useful purpose other than gossip.  .

You say this like it's a bad thing.

:laugh: Funny.

I just don't think dissing my employer on the World Wide Web is a particularly bright idea in terms of my longevity as an employee, do you? Besides, even if I sang his praises it seems that Zachy's mind was made up regardless of what I might say. I guess taking the bait didn't seem to serve any useful purpose either. I share my work experiences with people close to me that I trust and whose opinions and advice I value, much like anyone does in a similar situation.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Would you describe Neil Stein as an older version of Rocco (without the whole chef thing)? :hmmm:

Back in the early 80s I ran a restaurant directly across the street from Neil Stein's Fish Market. Got to know him some. Even did a joint summer outdoor project with Neil and with Steve Poses' Commisary.

Have also watched Neil's successes and his Waterloo's over the years.

I'd say Neil is as saavy as they come. From what I've seen on "The Restaurant" I wouldn't say that about Rocco. I also think Neil probably inspires much more employee loyalty than Rocco.

Edit: And Neil would have kicked Chodorow's and his staff's collective asses out of his dining room if they had tried that sleezy meeting/dinner in his restaurant.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Thanks for the help Holly. You're in a better position to publicly state your opinions than I.

Edit: And Neil would have kicked Chodorow's and his staff's collective asses out of his dining room if they had tried that sleezy meeting/dinner in his restaurant.

So true! Not to mention that they'd currently be taking up valuable seats that should be filled with the asses of paying customers. :biggrin:

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Yeah, but that would have required Rocco to actually be there instead of in his room pouting!

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

That's it! I found a way for Mama to retire. Rocco needs about 6 of these things.

They're magical! It says so right there on the box!

I missed Monday's premiere episode. I forgot it was on. Normally, I would skip the rest of them, but now, after reading this thread, I am caught up. I can watch Monday and follow along. I follow that up with The Shield, and my night of yelling, cursing, double-crosses, and gritty realism is complete.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

missed Monday's premiere episode. I forgot it was on. Normally, I would skip the rest of them, but now, after reading this thread, I am caught up. I can watch Monday and follow along. I follow that up with The Shield, and my night of yelling, cursing, double-crosses, and gritty realism is complete.

The Restaurant certainly has it's share of yelling, cursing and double-crosses

But gritty realism?

:hmmm: