• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Restaurant" Reality Show Season 2

Gustatorian

For posts and comments on Season 1, Click Here

For an update...:

The Restaurant (Reg. req'd)

In a nutshell:

Jeffrey: You started it, and you got all the attention!

Rocco: But Momma works so hard!

Jeffrey: I'm not paying you!

Rocco: What's the point of whoring out my own Momma if I'm not getting paid?

Discuss.

Edited by Jason Perlow (log)

For an update...:

The Restaurant (Reg. req'd)

In a nutshell:

Jeffrey: You started it, and you got all the attention!

Rocco: But Momma works so hard!

Jeffrey: I'm not paying you!

Rocco: What's the point of whoring out my own Momma if I'm not getting paid?

Discuss.

Hey, I just clicked on this link and a pop-up add came up for the American Express Card.

You don't think....nah.

That upcoming second season should be ugly. :blink:

The papers also said his partner, Jeffrey Chodorow, used the show to publicly air the parties' business disputes and tarnish Mr. DiSpirito's reputation.

Then again, a lawsuit is cheaper than paying for advertising...

Edited by beegew (log)

Given that the legal battle isn't even over, does that mean we will be treated to a "Restaurant III", where the denouement of this unholy mess is documented for all of us to see (well, at least those who don't already read the NY Post)?

Why won't Rocco just go away?

Well there is SOME good from it. I mean 52 pages of (mostly) disparaging remarks on the Rock-head and his cronies. We got some fun out of it. Hell, most of the worst jokes in the Hot Topics links during the run of the last "Restaurant" were about Rock-head. The trucker hats ALONE...

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I wonder how much $$$$$$ NBC is putting into this restaurant and in Roccos bank account. Seems like he is in a win-win situation

Let's face it folks, "reality TV" (gulp :shock: ) is here to stay. It's cheap, it's easy, and americans seem to tolerate it well.

Rocco taught us all last summer (and yes, I watched it, i even taped it :blink: ) that if you build it, they will come. On his name alone he had so much free publicity on shows like TODAY and Arthur Schwarz' Food Talk (WOR radio 12 noon online) it was a guarenteed ratings hit for beleagured NBC. Heck, it was one of the few non repeats on at the time last year they showed it.

So, they will show it just before sweeps this year, and it will leak into that dazzling month of May, probably just after "The Apprentice" and then, thank G-d we won't see it again for another 45 weeks! :wacko:

Me, I like soap operas, so I will probably watch it, and even tape it again.

But in the end, it's all about the food. If I had to wait 2 hours for a cold entree, i'd not go, would you?

"As an ancestor of the next generation, ask yourself what history will you leave behind?"

~~ Ginny Salkowski: 2002 ~~

Doesn't anyone else find the China Grill Management

and Rocco Dispirito duelling Lawsuits a little to coincidental, The 2nd part of The Restaurant airs April 19th. CG files its suit in Feb. ( building up the hype) Rocco launches his in April ( keep the ball rolling)

If you go to NBC's website for the show it, talks about the power struggle. hmmm

Filing false or frivolous lawsuits and further clogging the already crowded dockets solely for purposes of publicity would be--to say the least--illegal. Judges tend to NOT like that--even in housing court, where lawyers will use court dates to "collect" rent. The lawyers involved would risk contempt and censure--and NBC would be vulnerable--to say the least--to criticism.

Also: EVERYBODY says the suits are real. They've hardly been a good thing for Rocco--regardless of who wins or loses ultimately. He is reported--reliably--to be very unhappy about the way things are playing out. And the whiny interviews with him describing his Mom, "crying in the corner" make him sound like Michael Jackson, complaining about the"devillish" Tommy Mottola "conspiring" to make sure his records don't sell.

The show stopped filming quite a while back.

And if you know anything about the principal "actors" in these suits--its all too believable. Most would say inevitable. ( Chodorow IS a near Satanic figure by many estimations. These were lawsuits waiting to happen)

So this idea that it's all publicity is nice conspiracy theory-and makes a certain kind of shameless sense (in a grassy knoll kinda way)--given what we've seen of this whole hideous, shameless enterprise from Day One.

But are DiSpirito and Chodorow privately high-fiving and laughing all the way to the bank about this as NBC amps up the publicity machinery? No.

The only winners here--as usual--will be the producers of yet another relatively low-cost "Humiliate Yourself So You Can Get On TV" reality series (and likely NBC), who will be happily, heedlessly driving on to the next concept, ( "Who Wants To Hit Their Own Dick With A Hammer?"pehaps?), while their credulous all-too willing stars/subjects sort themselves out of the wreckage.

Chodorow will certainly survive--and likely find a way to use it all to his advantage. Surely he can afford the losses and make profitable use of the Rocco's space by putting in another typically soulless outpost of his evil empire.

Rocco, on the other hand has a long climb back.

He's diminished his "brand" for the long term.

Turned a lot of stomachs.

Ensured his whipping boy status for any and all lazy journos looking for a story that writes itself.

Hurt his flagship Union Pacific.

Not made enough money to justify the costs as being a "final big score".

There's a wonderful little morality play here--but I get no satisfaction from it. Rocco's a talented guy who's relegated himself--in the space of little over a year--to that particular corner of restaurant pariah-dom once occupied by David Ruggerio

(and Jeremiah Tower).

The Big Show, in my opinion, is when Ducasse and Chodorow finally realize who they're bunking with. Now THAT will be something to watch.

abourdain

Way back in the beginning of this thread, at the beginning of Restaurant, I bemoaned the fact that a talented and personable chef had sold himself out. I liked him,and thought his food adequate and fresh by what I saw on FTV. But when I saw what he was becoming, I had a big ole fight with a bunch of folks who thought sellin' your soul was o.k. It isn't, and what slides over the snake's back comes back around the belly.

It isn't, and what slides over the snake's back comes back around the belly.

Here, here, Maybelline....

And thanks AB for your input...

Can you make it a point to do the same for all the posts here....your style makes for some damned good reading...you should think about writing a book.

Dave Valentin

Retired Explosive Detection K9 Handler

"So, what if we've got it all backwards?" asks my son.

"Got what backwards?" I ask.

"What if chicken tastes like rattlesnake?" My son, the Einstein of the family.

Just when you thought you'd seen enough of Rocco...

Personally I wasn't curious about what was under Rocco's kilt, but considering his current circumstances, maybe this could help his image :laugh: Actually some of the other guys at the Dressed to Kilt benefit, especially Huey Morgan, don't look bad at all. [via Gawker]

Sometimes When You Are Right, You Can Still Be Wrong. ~De La Vega

Here's some interesting reading. The Smoking Gun has an excerpt from Rocco's counterclaim online. Bitter Feud Over Rocco's "Restaurant" - April 6, 2004

The beautiful part (aside from Rocco being locked out of the restaurant) is that Rocco never got the agreement with Chowdorhow signed. Schmuck.

Apologies if someone already posted this link.

One things for sure 'Rocco" really needs to hire a more experienced aggressive BASTARD of a Litigator if he wants to prevail against "Chowodorhow's' Partnerships attorneys.

He'd also better find a source of funds to back him up on this litigation, especially since the Partnership has a much better cash flow to meet the litigation expenses.

Having been involved with numerous disputes, bankruptcy's of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7's on both sides the only winners are the Attorney's and the operators smart enough to pick up the spoils.

I won't enumerate how many times I was able through working thru the Courts, Sheriff's Auctions, Landlords and Debtors that I was successfully able to turn someones disaster into a Cash Cow for pennies on the dollar before the party's involved even knew what transpired.

The Restaurant Business is much harder to succeed in then the average person realizes. There are really few instances where a Chef, Bar Tender, Matri Di or Wait Person possesses all the required attributes to make the business a success.

Simply trying to do any business in todays environment with government and other regulations demanding so much of your time, plus becoming a employer instead of a employee takes a very different mind set.

Ego's are often the most defeating cause of this business since all two many operators who own and successfully operate a single operation begin to thing that they are capable of dealing with a expansion. Most of the time they are WRONG. This is probably the largest cause of failure by established operators.

The other major cause of failure is complacency. People often forget that a restaurant is a service business, operated by principals on a day to day basis. They begin to spend less time taking care of business and more time indulging their whims. It's insidious but also human nature. It doesn't take long for this type of thing begins to effect the business, sometimes fatally.

At "Rocco's" operation this was a given from the beginning. Sort of like something waiting until the second season to happen.

Hopefully when this all over "Rocco" will start to do what he's capable of doing best running a kitchen as a working chef. I'm sure that his youth will benefit overall from this experience helping him to mature.

I do wonder if he's still using the services of the attorneys who permitted him to get into any business arrangement without a 51 % interest, and letting the operation start before everything was signed, sealed and delivered. I'm bewildered how this whole farce every got off the ground without Contractors, Construction, Landlords or Indemnity Bonds as are generally required in all NYC construction/renovation projects. If I'm not mistaken the Liquor Licensing Board, Health Department and the IRS also require financial information that assures them that the operating business isn't under capitolized.

That's why this whole thing seems like a fairy tale to me.

Irwin :cool::wacko::angry:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

Rocco's a talented guy who's relegated himself--in the space of little over a year--to that particular corner of restaurant pariah-dom once occupied by David Ruggerio

:laugh: Now that was a low blow! At least Rocco didn't do anything patently illegal.

If someone else tries this recipe, as written, I'd love to know the results!!

I cooked Mama's Meatballs on Saturday night (excuse the delay in getting back to you on this but the show has only just aired in the UK) and I have to say that they turned out very well. The mixture was quite wet, but did hold a spherical shape. I set them in the fridge for about 30 minutes, and then had to re-roll them as they had flattened a little. I then fryed them off in half an inch of oil or so before placing them in the sauce to cook for a further 20 minutes, basically following the recipe and the method demonstrated on the show.

I thought they were great, but a little eggy in flavour and consequently slightly spongy, I would have prefered a firmer texture. I'd also underseasoned the mixture. I should have fried off a small tester ball before cooking the whole batch. Not bad for a first try however and it has made me want to try out more Italian-American classics. Pass the Coors!

Rocco's a talented guy who's relegated himself--in the space of little over a year--to that particular corner of restaurant pariah-dom once occupied by David Ruggerio

:laugh: Now that was a low blow! At least Rocco didn't do anything patently illegal.

I don't know about that, Rachel. I work with public interest employment lawyers and they've been surprised by the blatant violations of labor law -- late paychecks, "forgetting" workers' comp procedure, etc. getting prime-time air. A lot of us who don't work in hospitality/restaurant industries are getting an eyeful of some pretty crappy working conditions. Not much of a silver lining but something.

My fantasy? Easy -- the Simpsons versus the Flanders on Hell's Kitchen.

Filing false or frivolous lawsuits and further clogging the already crowded dockets solely for purposes of publicity would be--to say the least--illegal.................................

The Big Show, in my opinion, is when Ducasse and Chodorow finally realize who they're bunking with. Now THAT will be something to watch.

I realize that legal implications of false lawsuits and reputations already tarnished. BUT everyone is trying to capitalize on the scandal. Maybe NBC will benefit the most. I gues at this point what else is there to do,

"They"say bad press is still press. JC is now known not quite as a household word but before you had to be informed enough to recognize his name, but now fanny pack carrying tourists know who he is.

Are you implying that AD is almost as evil as JC, maybe he sold his sole to get that star back in france, how many does he carry now? he's a brand, every one wants to be a brand.

Edited by canteena (log)

Rocco (and later "Momma"--because she goes everywhere with him these days) were just on Carson Daly's idiotic show. The worst part? Rocco reaching around fellow guest Elisha Cuthbert and feeling her up under the guise of helping her make meatballs. He also had this red dye in his hair and had the middle part moused up like a mohawk.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

In today's NY Times, 4 NYC restaurateurs discuss Rocco and the second season of "The Restaurant."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/18/arts/television/18LEE.html

I read this article in today's NYT and came away with the distinct impression I have always held on Lidia Bastianich: namely, that she is one very sharp business person as well as being an inspiring and accomplished chef ...

I enjoy her direct and forthright, very perceptive answers, to this discussion and, since she has personal knowledge of the real Rocco, not just his exaggerated screen persona, she seems to have zeroed in on the most salient points in the review ...

Happily looking forward to future and continuing discussion from these four people ... :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"