• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

the 6 best macro-brews in the world

mongo_jones

In no particular order as my beer of choice depends on my mood, what I'm eating, the temperature, etc.:

Guinness

Smithwick's

Dos Equis Amber (w/ lime and a glass w/ a salted rim)

Newcastle (only if relatively fresh, that clear bottle seems to let the beer degrade quickly)

Kirin (w/ sushi)

Brian

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."

This is a tough category. The thought of comparing Sam Smith's nut brown and Chimay, on one hand, with Budweiser and Corona on the other hand is absurd -- even if they are both made in big batches. The first are two of the best beers in the world regardless of the volume.

I hate saying this, but in some things, size does not matter.

you guys are all cheating. i demand to be able to go back and put guinness and boddington's on my list.

For some reason, I don't really regard Boddingtons as a macro brew. Its still one of my favorites, though.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No particular order, and assumes that with the exception of Stella Artois, all Belgium beers and ales are micros, and not enough or none of the good regional German beer is exported:

Sapporo in the 22 oz aluminum can (stange, but this is the ONLY beer that I prefer from this special can than the bottle or other smaller cans).

Fischer (macro brewer?)

Tsing Tao

Bohemia (strong arguments for Dos Equis amber and Negro Modelo, but I had to pick one)

Pilsner Urquell

New Castle Brown from a tap only (love Guiness and Boddingtons too, but once again, had to pick one).

Honorable Mention:

Tuborg (sold in Denmark, not the export). The company merged with Carlsberg, and recently acquired Hansa in Germany, which makes them a macro brewer now.

• 4 weeks later...

And, simply because of the name, Aass ('Aass good Aass it gets").

Hey Bob,

Do you know any distributors in the area?

We gotta get somebody to stock that.

I'd buy a case. It'd be great at parties.

Edited: Scratch that. I guess Marlton's not too far.

Edited by herbacidal (log)

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

you guys are all cheating. i demand to be able to go back and put guinness and boddington's on my list.

For some reason, I don't really regard Boddingtons as a macro brew. Its still one of my favorites, though.

I believe that Boddington's make over 750,000 barrels a year so I think that it might be a small macro. God knows how much Budweiser (the nasty one) is made.

• 1 month later...

I'm sure it is small enough, but Anchor Steam is my go to guy/gal not to be sexist)in the clutch. Or their Anhor's Liberty Ale. Being an IPA fan, I am also quite fond of Pyramid Brewery's IPA as well as Lagunitas IPA (all of them being NorCal beers.)

I seldom find it out here, but wish I could and that is Abita Amber. Anyone know a good norcal source for it?

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Red Tail Ale

Red Seal Ale

for Micros

Rolling Rock (It is a shame it is so pricey here in CA, compared to midwest)

Bud

for Macro's

Tsing tao

for Asian food

Those 7oz Pacifico's in a bucket of ice (lot's of them) with lime

for on the beach in Mexico

"Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage."

Woody Allen

Kirin Ichiban. Its made in California by Anheuser-Busch under license from Kirin. Great with sushi and just about anything.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

What is it about the summer time and ice cold macro brewed beers? They seem to go together extremely well.

MGD is kind of a breakfast beer, very good with bloody marys

Rolling Rock, painted labels relaxing in the yard, need I say more?

Red Stripe with fragrant "smoking" tobacco and Bob Marley

Pacifico with key lime and a touch of salt

Harp

and Heineken in the keg can, when you have to reach into the arctic waters of a cooler with a ton of ice and it sends a shock through your body.

Not that I like beer or anything.

:shock::laugh:

Patrick Sheerin

Assuming only North American macro brews in the Bud price range (or lower) (and not including regionals like Yuengling or Shiner - which I think is what the original thread was implying) I really like:

Coors Extra Gold

Molson Canadian

I don't have 4 more picks.

I find MGD to be completely undrinkable.

Edited by Scoats (log)

• 1 month later...

• Widmer Bros' Hefeweizen
  • Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  • Anchor Steam Beer
  • Bass Ale (hopefully, a good batch)
  • Stella Artois (again, batch luck necessa...)

~waves

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

• Widmer Bros' Hefeweizen
  • Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
  • Anchor Steam Beer
  • Bass Ale (hopefully, a good batch)
  • Stella Artois (again, batch luck necessa...)

~waves

I second the entire slate as nominated! Might trade you a Sam Adam's Seasonals line for the Stella, though. Maybe I get a bad batch more than a good, but it doesn't usually do much for me. Not that I wont' steal one if I see one in the veggie crisper and nobody is around, however.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

San Miguel is precisely what American beer would taste like if American beer tasted good. Let that be a lesson to AB, Miller, and Coors: beer made with rice as the predominant grain can be good if you so much as try.

In fact, Asian macrobrews are consistently better than their Asian and American counterparts, even though they come from such very disparate cultures and climates as the Philippines, Japan, China, and Thailand. Anyone want to venture a guess as to why this is?

And more importantly, where can I get a'hold of some of this Yuengling stuff everyone is raving about?

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...