• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ethnic Pop

Jason Perlow

but I suspect it is also extremely difficult to get outside NZ.

Gotta admit, I'm not aware of one thing New Zealand exports.

For some odd reason, that's suprising to me.

Anyway, soda sweetened with honey does sound interesting.

As long as it's instead of any artificial sweetener and not in addition to.

Wait, NZ exports lamb, right?

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

This is the ingredients list for the cola: Carbonated water, honey (16%), natural cola flavour (colour: caramel 150d), lemon juice concentrate.

So yeah, it's probably just sweetened by honey (depending on how sweet "natural cola flavour" is (: )

NZ does quite a bit of agricultural exporting, of all sorts of things - you've got things like lamb, beef and seafood; fruit (like, well.. the kiwi fruit of course (: ), and other more processed things like dairy products and wine.

The "fruit flavored" sodas of the world are all better than the U.S. versions. Face it... Sunkist and "Slice" just suck:

Pelligrino's La Rossa

Fentimans--all flavors--although they are ridiculously expensive in the U.S. Best of all is the Seville Orange flavor.

Sumol.

Gee these have all been mentioned.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I love Schwepp's Limonade that I fell in love with in Great Britain. British Airways even had it on the plane. I've looked for it here, but I haven't found it. I love sparkling lemonades, but none are as good as this one. I didn't even find this in Canada. Maybe it was discontinued... Orangina is easy to find here, but its not a favorite of mine, although I did drink it a lot in France.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

• 2 weeks later...

Schweppes Manao (lime) soda from Thailand. I know of one market in LA's Thaitown that sells it, but have otherwise been unable to find it here.

ditto on the Limonata.

HFCS does indeed suck. Apparently there is still one bottling plant in TX that makes Dr. Pepper with sugar, and you can order cases from them.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Vimto - from the middle east is one of my fav. ethnic pops.

i believe vimto is british.it used to be available in India many moons ago.looks like it's still going strong in the middle east.

Yes, definitely British.

Much more popular in the north as well. I was brought up on the stuff (And still drink vast quantities now!)

The now added sugar version is vile though. They have just released a 'High juice' version too. I doubt it will be the same if it actually tastes too much like fruit.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

I've seen it spelled "dough" and I get it fresh and uncarbonated in my favorite Afghan restaurant.

Yup, I've seen it carbonated and not, and fresh and bottled. Lots of spellings, thanks to transliteration.

I guess it must be Afghan or Persian originally- it's at those places that I've seen it fresh- but I've also had it bottled by (if I remember correctly) a Lebanese company. Can't remember the brand name, alas.

The "fruit flavored" sodas of the world are all better than the U.S. versions. Face it... Sunkist and "Slice" just suck

Hear, hear. I'm a big fan of Royal Tru Orange and Fanta Orange, both from the Philippines. Also quite like San Pellegrino Aranciata for it's not-so-sweet taste.

And then there's Ting. Hands down, my favorite international pop. Costs a fortune per bottle here in Canada, but I always order a bottle whenever I go for Jamaican or Caribbean food.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed that we have almost all these sodas at my local grocery store and I've never even tried them! I love grapefruit-flavored soda, so inspired by this thread, I spent a fortune on a little bottle of Ting. It was tasty, but had almost no carbonation. Did I get a bad bottle? I tend to prefer brutally fizzy soda.

So far, my favorites are the very light, fizzy European citrus sodas.

"Hey, don't borgnine the sandwich." -- H. Simpson

One of my favourite brands of soda/fizzy drink is "Spa". It may be Belgian or French. The cans are smaller than the typical British fizzy drink, 250 ml?

There is Spa Blackcurrant, Spa Lemon and also Spa Cactus (and lime?). I used to drink them ocassionally in the UK but I've only found one place (an artisan bakery run by Germans) in Durham, NC that stocks this soda.

I believe that there is actual fruit in the soda too which is quite a novelty to find in the US!

I also love the Fentimann's brand, especially their ginger beer. It has a real kick. It was available in grocery stores like Waitrose and Sainsburys. I've only seen Fentimann's in one store in the US and it was v. expensive!

Foodie Penguin

Vimto - from the middle east is one of my fav. ethnic pops.

i believe vimto is british.it used to be available in India many moons ago.looks like it's still going strong in the middle east.

Thanks for the correction, gingerly. I was under the mistaken assumption that Vimto was mid-eastern because a friend from Bahrain who introduced me to Vimto grew up on the stuff - specifically the concentrate. His mom would make it up in batches like Kool-Aid. The web site is very informative. " It was in the early 1920s that Vimto concentrate and cordial was first sold abroad, at first to India and then to Saudi Arabia. " Ah-Ha.... :biggrin:

Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell

~Gusteau, Ratatouille

Ramune lemon soda from Japan. Sold in these awsome little glass bottles that you had to take apart to get at the plunger, whichyou used to dislodge the glass marble that sealed it.

Also from Japan: Lemon soda C.C. Lemon. Pokari Sweat and Calpis Water. Coke always tasted great in Japan; maybe because it was always hot in the springs and summers when I was there. Nothing beat the mugicha, though.

Matt Robinson

Prep for dinner service, prep for life! A Blog

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had that many varieties of soda, but I do like the sour cherry sodas in Turkey (Visne something or other), and for the person who said they did not like the Iranian yoghurt sodas - yech, horrible in a bottle, but I love doogh when it's made from scratch, with the soda water added at the end... I don't add black pepper, though.

-- Judy B

If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.

--James Michener

I love the various citrus sodas, and some of the colas. I do have to use in moderation now, since I have developed type II diabetes, but I can't use aspartame. The new Diet Rite, sweetened with Splenda doesn't really have the flavor I like. I have tried Almdudler Krauterlimonade and it is excellent.

My absolute favorite soft drink is Topo Chico Tamarind, however their Sangria is also very refreshing. Since it is not readily available I buy the tamarind drink at the local Mexican market, put it in a soda siphon and carbonate it myself.

Has anyone shopped at this store or ordered online?

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

I have been considering making a run into L.A. on one of the Saturdays that I go to South Pasadena to shop at Bristol Farms.

Their sodas are not cheap, but ever since Schwepps Bitter Lemon was discotinued at regular stores, at least in the ones in which I shop, I have been ordering it through an English shop/tea room and it costs more than at this store.

I visited this store in Scottsdale and purchased a selection of soda that I brought home with me the last time I was in Arizona.

http://www.popsoda.com/index.html

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Has anyone shopped at this store or ordered online?

http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm

I have been considering making a run into L.A. on one of the Saturdays that I go to South Pasadena to shop at Bristol Farms.

Their sodas are not cheap, but ever since Schwepps Bitter Lemon was discotinued at regular stores, at least in the ones in which I shop, I have been ordering it through an English shop/tea room and it costs more than at this store.

I went to Galacos a few times when I was living in southern california. Nice little place--wonderful selection of both soda and beer. You're right that it isn't cheap, but most prices aren't unreasonable.

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta love Ting.

And Kola Champagne (by D&G) - a super sweet, cream soda style confection that I drank like water as I child. Not sure I could finish one now, but I still love it.

and now I am off to find out where I can get Ting in Seattle.

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

i have little to add, but i wanted to say that i enjoy crouching tyler's username.

okay, here's a little tidbit: the best-selling cola in india is apparently still thums up. coca cola knew what they were doing when they bought parle rather than compete against thums up.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been really digging the Schweppes Tangerine soda bottled by Schweppes of Egypt. Also very good are their orange and lemonade sodas, the latter which is slightly better (and more bitter) than its British counterpart. Very good stuff.

Also, Pelligrino La Rossa - very nice flavor/sweetness ratio.