• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding the Best Chocolate Cake Recipe (Part 1)

Wendy DeBord

I made the Chocolate Chiffon Cake from Spago Chocolate, and I think it is tops of all the recipes I've tried so far.  Good chocolate flavor, nice well-developed crumb, excellent structure - I love it.  The only thing I would change is that I wish it were a little more dense, as it is more of a spongy cake.  But otherwise, it is fantastic.  I filled it with a light whipped milk chocolate ganache with chopped almonds, and finished it with a dark chocolate glaze - so tasty!

I tried that back in Jan 05, and also loved it. IIRC, Fernwood loved it too. If you want to make it more dense, maybe you could just leave the whites unbeaten, or use less whites?

Patrick - Do you like it better than the other cakes tested on this thread? Let me know your thoughts on the comparisons.

Its one of the better ones Ive tried, but I think I like the Double Chocolate cake (which I made according to the original recipe on Epicurious, btw) a bit better. I made that Spago cocoa chiffon again the other night, this one in a sheet pan, and while I still like it, I agree that it would be better if it were more dense. I might try it again leaving out most of the baking powder and soda, and maybe adding some yolks and chocolate.

FYI, I also tried the Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake recipe in the new Cook's Illustrated. While it is certainly not bad, I wouldn't put it in the running for best chocolate cake.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

REGARDING THE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE RECIPE...

Hmm...how much cups is 3 ounces? 1 and 1/2? And if I may also ask, how many grams is that?

Has anyone tried using a imitation "buttermilk"--vinegar/lemon in milk and then, leaving them for 5 minutes? Because buttermilk here is difficult to find...and the only thing I've found in the wholesale stores are buttermilk powders by the kilos!

AND lastly, if I don't have a coffee maker and just has water, a microwave oven and instant coffee, how many teaspoons of coffee granules do I add to the water to emulate that 1 and 1/2 cups of hot brewed coffee in the recipe?

Thank you so very much much much in advance!

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

REGARDING THE DOUBLE CHOCOLATE RECIPE...

Hmm...how much cups is 3 ounces? 1 and 1/2? And if I may also ask, how many grams is that?

Has anyone tried using a imitation "buttermilk"--vinegar/lemon in milk and then, leaving them for 5 minutes? Because buttermilk here is difficult to find...and the only thing I've found in the wholesale stores are buttermilk powders by the kilos!

AND lastly, if I don't have a coffee maker and just has water, a microwave oven and instant coffee, how many teaspoons of coffee granules do I add to the water to emulate that 1 and 1/2 cups of hot brewed coffee in the recipe?

Thank you so very much much much in advance!

I've found this to be a pretty forgiving recipe.

3 oz chocolate chips is 1/2 cup (84gr)

Imitation buttermilk would be fine since this flavour is not "featured". Or you could try sourcream if that's more readily available.

Definitely don't need a coffee maker, instant is fine. Make it up according to the package instructions or just throw a tablespoon or two into your water. I always guess.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The current Cooks Illustrated has the most amazing chocolate cake and frosting recipes. The cake is high, firm, and moist. Strong chocolate flavor. The frosting has the light melt in your mouth consistency of whipped cream, with the strong chocolate flavor of ganache. I didn't know that was possible. It is a little harder to make than normal frostings. However, it is worth the effort!!

It is a chocolate cake that you can actually eat an entire slice of. It is really good. no complaints.

-Becca

www.porterhouse.typepad.com

I've found this to be a pretty forgiving recipe.

3 oz chocolate chips is 1/2 cup (84gr)

Imitation buttermilk would be fine since this flavour is not "featured". Or you could try sourcream if that's more readily available.

Definitely don't need a coffee maker, instant is fine. Make it up according to the package instructions or just throw a tablespoon or two into your water. I always guess.

Thanks a lot! Will try out the recipe after this hellish week of academics! :sad:

I am in the process of fulfilling a dream, one that involves a huge stainless kitchen, heavenly desserts and lots of happy sweet-toothed people.

I tried the new Cook's Illustrated recipe last night. Very moist, with a fine, tender crumb, chocolate flavor was just OK. Good recipe, but I personally still prefer the texture and flavor of the Double Chocolate Cake.

Have you tried their Chocolate Sour Cream Bundt Cake? It's also very moist with a fine crumb, but has a very deep chocolate taste. (The instant espresso is optional, but I recommend it - I use 1 Tbsp instead of the listed 1 tsp). As with many chocolate cakes, it's even better when left wrapped overnight.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

The current Cooks Illustrated has the most amazing chocolate cake and frosting recipes. The cake is high, firm, and moist. Strong chocolate flavor.

I looked at the recipe and it seems like the Double Chocolate cake has proportionately more chocolate (well, cocoa). Have you tried the Double Chocolate cake?

Ok, I'm going to try the tweaked Double Chocolate Cake again tonight. I'm really concerned about how delicate it is - are people finding that it holds together better with AP than with cake flour? If so, would a high-protein AP like King Arthur Flour be ok, or should I go with Pillsbury bleached AP? One last thing, I love using instant espresso for flavor, but cannot deal with the caffeine at all. Is decaf instant espresso as tasty, and if so, where does one find it? Thank you....

Dear all,

Having just found a favorite pound cake recipe in an eGullet thread, I am now wondering about a chocolate cake recipe.

I don't have the time to read through 8 pages of posts about this issue (I know, I'm selfish). So, is there anyone who has followed this whole thread who can point out any of the highlights? I assume that after 8 pages there is a cake or two that ended up becoming favorites. Post numbers would be great, but page numbers appreciated too.

Thank you for any guidance.

Sincerely,

Alan

I was curious, would a chocolate mousse as a filling, be too light in this cake? Would I have a problem slicing this cake and the mousse squishing out the sides?

Thanks

what fun following this thread, i have some baking to do! :biggrin: i want to try the recipes from cook's illustrated but am a bit confused. i hear some of you refer to the "new" CI, are there several different books or are these magazines? or do they come out annually? thanks! :smile:

I made the double chocolate cake recipe and really liked it also. I had intended to bake the lastest one from CI but didn't have the time.

I did however bake their (CI) german chocolate cake (I think Patrick mentioned it in another thread) and really liked it. I made their coffee, cashew version for the frosting at work and really dug that too.

Dailey,

CI is Cooks Illustrated magazine.

They have a website (which you have to pay to view), their monthly magazine CI, plus books and their lastest magazine is called CooksCountry.

So they've published several recipes over the years for chocolate cake. But the current copy of CI on the news stand has their very lastest chocolate cake version, which is what's being referred to in this thread. It's also posted on their site, which you can't access with-out paying.

Has anyone tried the double chocolate cake in a bundt pan? I do not have round cake pans  :blush:

Any ideas on the size of the pan and how long to bake it?

I baked it last night in a standard bundt pan, about 2/3 full, and I could have gone a little less than that, it rose so much. I had enough leftover batter for about 7 cupcakes. This time, I made it from the original recipe, except that I used sour cream in place of the buttermilk, King Arthur AP flour for extra protein, 2 tsp of vanilla, subbed some unsweetened for semisweet chocolate, used hot water instead of coffee, and replaced 4 oz. of butter for 1/4 of the oil. I added the cocoa to the boiling water to let it "bloom", instead of sifting it with the flour, and I added the butter to the chocolate/cocoa mixture afterward. The cupcakes came out after 30 minutes, and the bundt cake came out at 1 hour exactly. This time, everything seemed to work well and I finally can see what people are talking about! Moist, well-rounded chocolate flavor, light in texture but rich and melting at the same time. It was a hit at dinner tonight. Fortunately, I found some decaf coffee crystals at Whole Foods, so I can use that in place of the hot water, to further deepen the chocolate flavor. I love this cake! It will easily do three layers, and I'm already dreaming of raspberry whipped cream combinations. The only improvement that I would wish upon this cake is that I wish it were denser. Not chewier, but firmer, as even with the protein from AP flour it is still pretty delicate. Other than that, I'm a convert.

How much did you whip the eggs before adding the other ingredients? I find that if you under whip them - just enough to start disolving the sugar, but nowhere near ribbon stage - the texture is firmer and less crumbly.

Ah - this may be it. I beat the eggs for about 3 mins - the recipe says to go for about that long, until they are lemon colored - but I'll try and beat less. Would you say 30 seconds would do - just enough to come together?

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I baked the cake in a bundt pan, plus some cupcake tins. I used the recipe exactly as given, with the only modification being adding the cocoa to the coffee as skyflyer suggested.

It is indeed the best recipe I have ever tried. I cannot imagine a better chocolate cake.

ETA: The cupcake tins were the fancy Nordicware flower-shaped ones, on loan from a friend. They did not crumble at all. I dusted the cupcakes with powdered sugar to bring out the details. They were very pretty, even if I say so myself :laugh:

Edited by persiancook (log)

How much did you whip the eggs before adding the other ingredients? I find that if you under whip them - just enough to start disolving the sugar, but nowhere near ribbon stage - the texture is firmer and less crumbly.

Ah - this may be it. I beat the eggs for about 3 mins - the recipe says to go for about that long, until they are lemon colored - but I'll try and beat less. Would you say 30 seconds would do - just enough to come together?

Yeah, I think 30 seconds to a minute on medium worked well for me. Or you could just whisk by hand for a minute.

Dear all,

I'll be making the Double chocolate cake recipe. I want to use a Bundt mold and am trying to figure out the best way to finish the cake. I have a really good chocolate butter-cream frosting, but I think that the cake might look better with a glaze of some sort.

Would you say that this cake is flavorful and moist enough that a simple vanilla glaze would work well, or would you recommend something else to finish the cake? I've never done a ganache for a cake, would that be sufficiently pourable so as to coat the bundt cake well? If so, would one of the ganache recipes in Recchiuti/Gage's Chocolate Obsession book work? That's the only book I have that has ganache recipes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Alan

Edited by A Patric (log)

Dear all,

I'll be making the Double chocolate cake recipe.  I want to use a Bundt mold and am trying to figure out the best way to finish the cake.  I have a really good chocolate butter-cream frosting, but I think that the cake might look better with a glaze of some sort. 

Would you say that this cake is flavorful and moist enough that a simple vanilla glaze would work well, or would you recommend something else to finish the cake?  I've never done a ganache for a cake, would that be sufficiently pourable so as to coat the bundt cake well?  If so, would one of the ganache recipes in Recchiuti/Gage's Chocolate Obsession book work?  That's the only book I have that has ganache recipes.

Thanks for any feedback.

Alan

I think either finish would work well. You can pour any ganache on the cake while its warm, the question is how firm to you want it to become at room temperature. If you want a softer, more glaze-like glaze, I would use about 1C cream to 8ozs chocolate (you can still add butter or liquer too).

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh