• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fatback for pâte/terrine

SethG

I'm planning to make a duck terrine, and the recipe calls for some fatback in with the meat, and also calls for it (or caul fat) to line the pan.

I see salted fatback in all the local grocery stores. This is no good, right? Or can I soak the salted stuff?

Thanks.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I think it is generally just fat with salt, uncooked.

I just spoke with a nice fellow at the estimable G. Esposito Pork Store on Court Street in Brooklyn, who told me that all fatback is salted. He also carries caul fat (yes!), so I'm going there in the morning.

Is he right about the fatback? James Peterson, in Glorious French Food (the source of my recipe) says that "fatback" is the American term for unsalted pork fat.

So I'm thinking I should soak and or simmer the stuff before I use it.

Edited by SethG (log)

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

That's so funny - just looked up on the dictionary, and indeed it is usually considered essentially the same as salt pork.

Our local butcher carries it as pure fatback - sheets or cubes, off the pig, which is how I have always bought it. Unsalted.

Never knew otherwise, interesting to find out.

Paul

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

Fatback in France is usually NOT salted. If you do blanche it of course make it's entirely cooled before mixing it with your raw meat/egg/etc. ingredients. It's funny - in France where ALL kinds of kitchen hygiene rules are ignored - working with raw meat mixtures is the one area where chefs really don't like to mess around - working with it over ice usually.

I'm probably out of my league, but fatback may or may not be salted, depending on if it was used immediately or not. Sometimes we only ended up with trimmings, which were salted, because the fat was so good it got rendered. But the salt problems are easily done away with, if you stick it in low temp water, and leach the salt, it would seem.

Edit to say, I totally spaced on milk. Then your fat won't have to be heated before it is in the dish.

Edited by Mabelline (log)