• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heart attack kills McDonalds CEO

fresco

The wisest of my culture have re-iterated for a couple thousand years that death is simply the opening of one door...after the closing of another. I hope it holds true-but I do believe that we have some finer place.

The Egyptian culture had a religion promoting future existence, and the first proponent of monotheism was an Egyptian...go figure.

I don't know of many CEOs who eat too many McDonald's meals.

Yup. And the CEOs of Big Tobacco didn't smoke.

Still, it seems to me only fair that the cause of death (massive heart attack) was the one their company has been helping make more prevalent at earlier ages.

Was this man at the helm of the company when it failed to switched to healthier oils for its french fries after promising to do so?

Was this man at the helm when McD's opened branches in Paris? And next to the Sans Souci in D.C.?

I say the schadenfreude is deserved.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I don't know of many CEOs who eat too many McDonald's meals.

Yup. And the CEOs of Big Tobacco didn't smoke.

Still, it seems to me only fair that the cause of death (massive heart attack) was the one their company has been helping make more prevalent at earlier ages.

Was this man at the helm of the company when it failed to switched to healthier oils for its french fries after promising to do so?

Was this man at the helm when McD's opened branches in Paris? And next to the Sans Souci in D.C.?

I say the schadenfreude is deserved.

See, now I think that's wrong on so many fronts.

It's McDonalds, for god's sake!! It's not a health food store.

And they can open stores where ever they can buy property.

Do you blame Bill Ford for the death of every car accident? After all, if his

great-grandfather hadn't come up with that assembly line idea, we'd still be on horses, right?

We all leave behind a legacy. In 'It's A Wonderful Life.' a man who thinks his life was a failure realizes the importance his kind actions had on so many people.

McD's is a successful chain that provides affordable food and is a model of efficiency. However, what is the cost of those actions? It's not a health food restaurant, nor does it need to be, but the company engages in deceptive practices and provides unnecessarily unhealthy supersized products. Is the food something to be proud of? What's in a shake? Not milk...not ice cream... McD's could be so much more than what it has become.

E-Gers write on here about many wonderful places they have dined in around the world. And what does America offer the world? A chain of McD's. Perhaps a new CEO with vision and a conscience will keep tab on more than just the company's bottomline. Now that would be a legacy.

Don't you think there is humor everywhere? Even in death?

When you die, would you rather have people crying because you are dead, or happy because they knew you?

when i die, i'd rather everyone else die to. i mean, what's the point of a world without me?

The wisest of my culture have re-iterated for a couple thousand years that death is simply the opening of one door...after the closing of another. I hope it holds true-but I do believe that we have some finer place.

The Egyptian culture had a religion promoting future existence, and the first proponent of monotheism was an Egyptian...go figure.

i think you'll find zarathushtra predates your boy charlton heston

Is the food something to be proud of? What's in a shake? Not milk...not ice cream...

Just had to interject, having worked at McD's in high school and subsequently giving up beef and pork for almost 10 years :blink: (ahh, the grease from those patties, esp. the sausage), that their shakes are one of their more innocuous menu items. I used to setup the shake machine daily before opening and refill the mixes. From McDonalds.com:

Vanilla Triple Thick® Shake:

Shake Mix: Whole milk, sucrose, cream, nonfat milk solids, corn syrup solids, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, imitation vanilla flavor, carrageenan, cellulose gum, vitamin A palmitate.

Vanilla Syrup: Corn syrup, water, vanilla, caramel color, vanilla bean fiber, pectin, citric acid, sodium benzoate (a preservative), calcium chloride, FD&C Yellow #5 and FD&C Yellow #6.

Edited by kellycolorado (log)

Is the food something to be proud of? What's in a shake? Not milk...not ice cream...

Just had to interject, having worked at McD's in high school and subsequently giving up beef and pork for almost 10 years :blink:

see, mcdonald's was good for you after all...and to think people say they promote ill-health...

E-Gers write on here about many wonderful places they have dined in around the world. And what does America offer the world? A chain of McD's.

Don't you think that's a vast oversimplification? There are many wonderful places to eat in America, and Artisinal food producers here, just like in Europe. Ever trolled through the regional boards? If it weren't for the great food available in America, eGullet would not be running in this country.

:wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

this whole thread seems silly to me.

People die....plain and simple. No diet can change that fact.

If the guy were in his early 20's and died of a heart attack, THEN it may be worth a second look, but for Chrissakes the guy was a senior citizen...

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

It's called 'Irony'. :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

E-Gers write on here about many wonderful places they have dined in around the world.  And what does America offer the world?  A chain of McD's.

Don't you think that's a vast oversimplification? There are many wonderful places to eat in America, and Artisinal food producers here, just like in Europe. Ever trolled through the regional boards? If it weren't for the great food available in America, eGullet would not be running in this country.

:wink:

What I mean is overseas we offer the world McD's. As a symbol of America, I find that sad.

• 3 weeks later...
this whole thread seems silly to me.

for Chrissakes the guy was a senior citizen...

A senior citizen?? What ever happened to "sixty is the new forty!"?? :rolleyes:

not in my family...I'll be lucky to see 60.

but if Timothy Leary was right, soon we'll all be immortal....unfortunately he died at 76.

My parents are both nearing 60 and they are both very active...(my mother holds and regularly breaks records in her age group for masters swimming)...but I mistreat my body for the sake of enjoying it while it is fresh and young, so I wouldn't be surprised if I did not make it to 65. Diet certainly doesn't help either.

SMI2LE

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo