• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midnight Snacks

handmc

Its late, working late, can't sleep, got the munchies? What do you make for yourself when the whole house is asleep.

Warm rice and Chili Black bean paste. That burn for burning the midnight oil! :smile:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

I raid the meat drawer of the refrigerator: A few slices of salami, some Gruyere, some mozzarella balls, (drizzled with garlic olive oil if I'm feeling like I'll be up for a few hours); prociutto with breadsticks, olives. The chewy/peppery/saltiness of the meal helps me to sleep soundly!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

ooohhh...sandwich of white bread, mayonnaise, salt, cracked black pepper, lots of parsley, and piles of shaved white onion. Something about it always knocks me out.

This midnight snack is for sleeping alone, of course.

I am equal opportunity. Anything good at the time is d..o..o..m..e..d. It comes from my upbringing, where the pantry and cold rooms were plumb full, and anything out was open season.

But I reckon my favorite would be posole, over rice...YUM!!

I'm a traditionalist...warm milk and cookies... or pizza, if there's any in the fridge :biggrin:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Mabelline, you're absolutely right! But... if I'm up at 3am, can it be an Early breakfast? Pleeeease? It's sooo good, chewy, greasy, li'l olives popping in my mouth.... mmm. mmm. mmm...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Depends on how I'm feeling - if I don't feel like being up and about for long, I'll eat a banana and drink a tall glass of milk. If I'm in the mood for something more filling, I'll snack on cold cuts - specifically the really salty stuff: salami, prosciutto, soppressata with some cheese and a glass of wine, if any's left. That's a recipe for sleep. Rarely will I cook anything.

markf424; this is totally off-topic, and I've been wonderin' how to bring it up---how come ALL the kool-aid commercials are African-American folks? Anyone know??There are all kinds of A.A. folks, but what's up with that? WORD>

Mabelline,

I honestly haven't ever noticed. I didn't even know they still advertised. I remember the old commercials: "Hey, Kool-Aid!" from when I was a kid. Ran across this avatar and uploaded it for laughs. To be honest, I can't stand the stuff now. :biggrin:

Here's the sort of ad I remember.

When everyone else is asleep I make do with what I can prepare without using the stove/oven/etc. Lately it has been slices of cheddar with some Blair's After Death sauce spread on top.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Can't sleep on a full stomach, and would wake up feeling even worse, so even if I'm feeling insomniac, no snackies. The most I'll do is drink a big glass of water if I'm feeling hungry, just to momentarily fill up in order to fall asleep.

If on the other hand we're talking deliberately staying up in the wee hours to work on something, then just about anything meaty or savory with protein works for me, like seasoned Japanese rice balls, cubes of tofu with grated ginger, chopped scallions and ponzu sauce plus a bowl of miso soup. The main thing is the food can't be sweet or (only) cold (hence the soup along with tofu).

Sometimes I'll use insomnia as an excuse to prepare something for the next day, rather than for eating right then. Like dishes that require hours of marinating time. Just the act of preparing the food is a kind of meditation that can quiet a severe case of chattering monkey mind.

Pat

"I... like... FOOD!" -Red Valkyrie, Gauntlet Legends-

Wine or scotch is my usual fall asleep remedy, maybe with a bit of cheese.

My biggest night time snack era was when I was pregnant/nursing. I used to do milk and pretzels with a little cheese or some fruit. Not only did the baby wake me, my body did too, couldn't sleep with an empty stomach or I'd get nauseated.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

Freshly-baked bread with butter if I have both in the house; otherwise, just a glass of milk.

markf424: I once had to be an orange Kool-Aid kid and it was one of the worst experiences in my life. The costume was so hot it nearly made me pass out, I worried constantly about my hair getting caught in the fan inside the costume, and a 12-year old girl followed me everywhere and kept punching me. She thought it was funny. I ended up with both arms covered in bruises.