• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

kochujang

I apologize if this topic has been covered before. I love Kochujang and where I live in PA I can't find it in any Asian markets. I used up my stockpile from Korea and don't return there until June. Can anyone share a recipe with me or give me something that is close? I make a soup with cellophane noodles, green onions, chicken or beef stock (mood driven) and an egg with Kochujang, a dash of soy and sesame oil.

I'm going through withdrawals!

Thanks

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Just mail order it... tons of Korean mail order places.

That or make a trip to NJ or the DC area. Han Ah Reum has it by the gallon.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Any web addresses handy?

--------------------

http://www.hanahreum.com/eng/index_eng.html

thats Han Ah Reum, but I don't beleive they do mail order. However, they have quite a few locations in NJ and DC/VA/MD.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

For mail order theres a ton of places out there if you go to froogle.google.com and search on "Korean Groceries"

http://www.ikoreaplaza.com/ikp/index.asp?p...sp&dept_id=4090

HanAhReum has a Philly store:

Philadelphia

Since Dec. 19, 1998

7320 Old York Road. Elkins Park, PA 19027

Store Hours: 8:30 AM ~ 9:30 PM

Tel : 215-782-1801

Although if you are in Western PA, that could still be a hike.

Thanks, my buddy called knows right where it is.

--------------------

• 8 months later...
I apologize if this topic has been covered before. I love Kochujang and where I live in PA I can't find it in any Asian markets. I used up my stockpile from Korea and don't return there until June. Can anyone share a recipe with me or give me something that is close? I make a soup with cellophane noodles, green onions, chicken or beef stock (mood driven) and an egg with Kochujang, a dash of soy and sesame oil.

Thanks

I know this is an old post. My mother in law has two methods. The old, fashioned long version that results in the three mother sauces of Korean cooking. Dwen Jang, Kochu Jang, and traditional Korean Kan Chang (very different from Kikkoman). But it's so labor intensive and time consuming that I can't imagine you would want to attempt it at home.

She has a short version. She combines light Japanese Miso, with malt syrup and Koread dried red pepper flakes that have been reconstituted in ice cold water for a deep red color. She can't give me quantities, because she never measures). But it's pretty easy to play around with it. I've seen Japanese Miso at many major Supermarket chains, at least in LA.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

• 4 years later...

Thanks

did you do a google search? there are many recipe listings including

http://www.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=17658

The link "Cooking - Food - Recipes - Cookbook Collections" on my site contains my 1000+ cookbook collections, recipes, and other food information: http://dmreed.com