• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seattle frites!

This afternoon I was home with baby when Matthew came back from a walk bearing... a paper cone of frites! I was delighted to learn that a frites stand has opened on 10th Ave (which happens to be the street we live on) between Pike and Union. Matthew said an array of sauces is available as well. My frites held up fairly well through the walk home, thick cut, crispy on the outside, sprinkled with a nice flaky salt. I can't wait to taste them freshly fried. That block is not heavily traveled, so please get out and support your local frites stand.

Kriste and I stopped in there last week. Not bad, worth the trip again. BTW, Laurie, your words from your post are on the back of the menu along with three other 'published' accoladates. :biggrin:

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

• 5 months later...

Dayne and I stopped in for frites today. They were better than the first time. Really nice and crispy outside, perfect inside. We had a fritsaus and an andouluse sauce. Shared a medium.

Tony said he is trying to get beer in there, maybe in the next few months. A few Belgium beers and maybe a tap from Elysian. And he's looking to put in more bars and stools soon.

Their hours have changed- 3pm is when they open now.

Some day, when I remember, I'm going to have to hang out after school and wait for them to hope. Maybe on one of my late days.

I pointed the sign out to my husband the other day, as we were walking by, but I've not yet been in.

Misa

Sweet Misa

• 1 month later...

I am also a dissenting voice. I went to Frites and found it disappointing, although better than the typical American french fry. (I lived in the Netherlands for a bit, so my addiction to frites is relentless!). Unfortunately, because the potatoes they use are different in Benelux, as well as the oil (sometimes horse fat), it is difficult to recreate the frites that are so popular. I'll give an 'A' for effort though.

LOL, I gotta agree with you geoff. While I can do a burger without fries, dang it just ain't right.

I'm sampling Sambar tomorrow night ;-)

Just was there last night. The frites weren't up to their usual crunchiness. Didn't ask for another batch... A while back I asked them what oil they use, btw--peanut. If you do the croque and frites, and either drink beer or order the guigal CDR by the bottle, Sambar's not too pricey. I splurged for a cocktail...

Steve

"Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon." --Dalai Lama

• 3 months later...